onkyo pre/power 5509 and 5501 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,i need a feed back about this pre/power,anybody try it?Is it a very good combo or mix 5509 with other amp like emotiva xpa 5 a much more better?Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have the 5508 with three Emotiva amps (I use active crossovers). I think the 5509 with Emotiva is a great match. One thing I'd worry about is whether the 5509 has the heat and failure problems that the 5508 has. Ask Keith as he has the 5509.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

thanks theresa..
keith?where are u dear?cool.gif
Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

any thought?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

soo quiet?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Keith says that the 5509 doesn't have the heat related problems that the 08 series (the one I have frown.gif ) has.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

ok,so i will get the 5509 now but for 5501 is it worth it?or i should get emotive xpa 5 instead?i have read somewhere that emotiva got refinement issue and it sounds harsh for concert,no?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it would be worth it but that's for you to decide. I find my Emo amps to be very transparent, with chamber music and large scale classical works it doesn't matter. I've never experienced harshness from them.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2352 Post(s)
Liked: 2166
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherr127 View Post

Hi,i need a feed back about this pre/power,anybody try it?Is it a very good combo or mix 5509 with other amp like emotiva xpa 5 a much more better?Thanks

I use the 5509 with an Emotiva XPA-3 and two UPA-2 amps and it is a terrific combination. I would not recommend the Onkyo amplifier as it is overpriced. The combination of 5509+XPA-5 will be very good one and work well for you IMO. It works very well indeed for me.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

thanks theresa..
keith?where are u dear?cool.gif

Here I am, late to the party, as ever :)

AFAIK the 5509 does not have the heat-related HDMI board issue that the 5508 has/had. 

Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ok,so i will get the 5509 now but for 5501 is it worth it?or i should get emotive xpa 5 instead?i have read somewhere that emotiva got refinement issue and it sounds harsh for concert,no?

The XPA-5 is a very good amp. Well-designed amplifiers don't introduce their own sonic characteristics on the signal they are amplifying. 'Harshness' just means that the amp is introducing some form of distortion which is resulting in an audible artefact. The XPA-5's distortion figures are all well below the threshold of audibility and Emotiva publish test results on their site to confirm it. Emotiva amps have also been tested independently by Audioholics and their distortion figures confirm Emotiva's own. If by 'harshness' you meant 'excessive brightness' then that would mean that the amp was applying excessive emphasis to the upper frequencies - ie the frequency response of the amp was not flat. Again, look at the test results on either Audioholics or Emotiva's own site and you will see that the response is in fact ruler flat, so no emphasis of upper treble can be added.

The result is that the Emotiva amps are transparent to the source and sonically neutral, which is pretty much what any well-designed modern solid state amp is when it is working within its spec (eg not pushed into clipping). I can confirm this from my own listening over  long period with the 5509+Emotiva amps combination. The sound is neutral - there is no 'harshness'.

I would expect all of the above to also apply to the Onkyo amp - but it is a lot more expensive and delivers nothing more than the Emotiva amps.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I think it would be worth it but that's for you to decide. I find my Emo amps to be very transparent, with chamber music and large scale classical works it doesn't matter. I've never experienced harshness from them.

+1

Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for joining in. I'm glad you could elaborate as I just didn't feel up to going into the whole "amps sound alike" thing this morning. As you've said, I need a macro for that. For me it was early morning when I replied. I concur about Emotiva amps, none of my three have any coloration.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, Emotiva give you a 30 day home trial period so you could listen to the combination yourself. All it would cost you is return shipping if you decided not to keep it. Considering the overall cost of your investment in the 5509 + Amp, this would be good value IMO. And the chances of you wanting to return an XPA-5 are small, also IMO of course.

One thing - if you get the Emotiva amp, spring a little extra for the black trim. The amps looks so much better with the black trim and it will be a great match, visually, then for the 5509, if that sort of thing matters to you. Also - check the Emo site carefully and only buy when they have one of the frequent sales. You've missed the Thanksgiving sale now, but they will probably have a Christmas or New Year sale.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I've neglected the aesthetic virtues of the black trim but intend to get it one of these days. The amps are a bit garish looking with the silver trim.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you for joining in. I'm glad you could elaborate as I just didn't feel up to going into the whole "amps sound alike" thing this morning. As you've said, I need a macro for that. For me it was early morning when I replied. I concur about Emotiva amps, none of my three have any coloration.

:)  Yes, agreed about the macro ;)  I use a great utility (Mac only I think) called Typinator which allows me to create macros of any length, with or without formatting, and replay them with a couple of keystrokes. The Audyssey FAQ actually came out of those macros when it suddenly seemed like  good idea to put all the oft-repeated text into one place. You and I definitely need one for the 'amps sound alike' schtick. I love my Emotiva amps and wouldn’t even think about changing them - they do everything anyone can want from an amp IMO - that is, to pass a signal without audible change, other than in amplitude.

The OP would have a great combo IMO with a 5509 and XPA-5 and, if he chose the black trims, it would even be a great visual match if that sort of thing is important to him. 

Just a thought for the OP - the Emo amps also look great matches for Onk gear if you just remove the silver trims and then put back the 4 small hex-headed bolts that held them in place - and that tweak is free. It won't change the sound though ;)

Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've neglected the aesthetic virtues of the black trim but intend to get it one of these days. The amps are a bit garish looking with the silver trim.

Agreed. See my 'no cost' alternative tweak above. 

Another alternative, which I used to great effect before I bought the trims (with being in the UK, the carriage for the trims is insane, so you have to wait until you order something else to make sense of the cost) is to spay the silver trims black. I used Rustoleum satin black spray paint and it gave a terrific result. A few thin coats, letting each coat dry in between sprayings. If you were considering buying the black Emo trims anyway, there is nothing to lose - if you don't like the result, you can throw them away or use heavy duty paint stripper to restore them to original (probably as far as the last is concerned - I haven't tried it).  Spray painting is potentially messy and best done in an (improvised from a large cardboard box) spray booth in a garage. If this is impractical for you, a competent DIY friend could do it easily. Total cost: a little time and one can of spray Rustoleum. My, how easy it is to get OT :)

Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

The XPA-5 is a very good amp. Well-designed amplifiers don't introduce their own sonic characteristics on the signal they are amplifying. 'Harshness' just means that the amp is introducing some form of distortion which is resulting in an audible artefact. The XPA-5's distortion figures are all well below the threshold of audibility and Emotiva publish test results on their site to confirm it. Emotiva amps have also been tested independently by Audioholics and their distortion figures confirm Emotiva's own. If by 'harshness' you meant 'excessive brightness' then that would mean that the amp was applying excessive emphasis to the upper frequencies - ie the frequency response of the amp was not flat. Again, look at the test results on either Audioholics or Emotiva's own site and you will see that the response is in fact ruler flat, so no emphasis of upper treble can be added.

The result is that the Emotiva amps are transparent to the source and sonically neutral, which is pretty much what any well-designed modern solid state amp is when it is working within its spec (eg not pushed into clipping). I can confirm this from my own listening over  long period with the 5509+Emotiva amps combination. The sound is neutral - there is no 'harshness'.

I would expect all of the above to also apply to the Onkyo amp - but it is a lot more expensive and delivers nothing more than the Emotiva amps.

thanks keith,thats a very good answer that i've been waiting for,you really make my day..sharing is caring right?hehe
so xpa 5 is the way to go!!hooray!!
err,one more question if you done mind..does xpa 3 and xpa 2 combo sounds better than xpa 5?
Fyi i will use it for my monitor audio platinum series speaker(pl200 + plc150 + pl100).Thanks again.wink.gif
Old 12-02-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

thanks keith,thats a very good answer that i've been waiting for,you really make my day..sharing is caring right?hehe
so xpa 5 is the way to go!!hooray!!
err,one more question if you done mind..does xpa 3 and xpa 2 combo sounds better than xpa 5?
Fyi i will use it for my monitor audio platinum series speaker(pl200 + plc150 + pl100).Thanks again.wink.gif

The XPA-5 will sound the same as the XPA-3 + XPA-2 unless your front speakers (for which I guess you would be considering the XPA-2) are extraordinarily inefficient or difficult to drive for some reason (eg very low impedance at certain frequencies). Also, remember that the centre channel in a movie system is the most important single channel and the XPA-2 wouldn't be addressing that.

If you are thinking that you may use your system in a two channel stereo format for music, and a 5 channel format for movies, then there could be some merit in using an XPA-2 if the L & R speakers require it (eg are very inefficient or difficult to drive). If you are primarily concerned with a 5 channel system for movies (or Mulit-channel music) then, personally, I would stay with the XPA-5 and save some money. The XPA-2 sure won't hurt anything, but it costs more and probably won't add anything  significant of value, given the caveats I have mentioned.

If you have a dedicated room, or you are single, or (like me) you have a very understanding wife or GF, the thing that will give you the biggest improvement in SQ for your money is some room treatments and/or bass traps. For a few hundred bucks the improvement will be beyond all your expectations because the room itself is the single most important 'component' in your system. Take a look at the Realtraps or GIK websites for more info.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got the XPA-3 driving my L/C/R midwoofers which are about 86db sensitive, which is relatively low. My system gets plenty loud enough for me. The XPA-5 is not significantly different from the XPA-3 so I doubt you'd need more power.