Low cost AVR w/pre-outs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

A buddy of mine just got a $300 quote to fix an old Yahama receiver that he uses as a pre-out to a Rotel amp. I told him not to do it as he could probably pick up an inexpensive AVR that might have 5.1, maybe an USB input, a couple of HDMI inputs, and has pre-outs for his amp. Last years model or older is fine, he's pretty budget conscious due to some personal setbacks.

Suggestions for new stuff? I know he might be Ok with used, but I hate to recommend that to him, then be responsible if he gets someone else's headache.

I had bad experiences with refurbs, the product, not the service. AC4Less and Denon were very good to me, eventually Denon giving me a new 3313CI after replacing 3 bad 3312 refurbs. Yep, all 3 they shipped me were bad, all in different ways. That is a whole 'nother thread I guess.

Thanks

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Really ? Nothing?

Come on guys.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Is it a two channel amp or a 5 channel amp?

Amazon had a Marantz 1602 for $349 a couple days that had preouts for the front speakers, USB input and networking. Sale may have ended now though.

otherwise the HK AVR 2600 has a full set of preouts with 2 year mfrs warranty. Shipped directly from Harman Store.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kardon-AVR-2600-Z-7-1-Channel-A-V-Receiver-with-HDMI-Repeater-/390489170389?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item5aeaf7e1d5

Afro GT
post #4 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The next to no cheap AVRs with pre-outs. Adding pre-outs adds to the total cost of an AVR.
For instants, HK's last 9 AVRs only the 3600 has pre-outs. And it was the top of the 1600, 2600, 3600 series.
I've seen some Marantz AVRs that only has pre-outs for the main L/R. I think the same for Denon.
The cheapest Yamaha to have pre-outs is the A810 @ $590, from what I saw.
The catch 22 of pre-outs is the cheaper units with the smaller amps are exactly the ones that would benefit from having pre-outs, but don't.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 01:50 PM

Liked: 12
might be an option:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1423584/outlaw-975

I see the atoms free and fine,

That bubble like a sparkling wine;
I see the songs Electrons sing,
Jumping from ring to outer ring;
              - Lister, The Physicist
post #6 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM

I was going to make a new thread, but this is such a similar one, I figure I'd post it in here.

This is my current 5.1 setup:

Panasonic XR55
Onix X-MTM - L/R
Onix X-CS - Center
Onix X-LS - Surrounds
HSU VTF-15H

I'm looking to either upgrade to a newer receiver with hopes of adding a 5 channel amp in the future. The XR55 doesn't have HDMI, is horrendously ugly, and receivers with microphone calibration intrigue me. Finding a relatively cheap receiver with a full set of pre-outs seems like a tall order, however. I don't think the HK 2600 has pre-outs, like a previous poster stated.

Currently I'm looking at these two:
1) Yamaha RX-V667 @ $499 on Amazon
2) Harmon Kardon AVR 3600 @ $400 (Remanufactured w/ warranty)

Out of these two, which you go with? How do the Yamaha YPAO and Harmon Kardon EzSet/EQ compare to Audessy's MultEQ?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

It's a 2 channel amp, he needs some serious upgrading. He's gone through a divorce recently, short on money and gear.

I just sent HK a question. If he runs his RF and LF off of his amp so it sounds better while listening to cd's, can he run the other 3 speakers off of the HK AVR and still keep the 5.1 separation and delays correct for video, blu-ray, and broadcasts?

Anyone have any experience with the HK refurbs? As I mentioned, I had a very poor experience with Denon refurbs through AC4Less. Not the customer service, that was very good, from them and the Denon people both.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page