Yamaha RX-V663 to ??; Need Help Choosing New AVR w/ Some Specifics Needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-29-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I have a Yamaha RX-V633 AVR right now and so far it's been great. Good amount of power (though I'd always want more biggrin.gif). Never had any problems. Anyways...I used to have my HTPC close to my PC so I ran an optical cable from my PC to the AVR and that's how I played my Flac/Wav (Lossless) audio from Foobar/Itunes, but I just moved into a new, large home and the PC is across the house in the study.

Looking at possible ways to not have to use USB to my Galaxy S3, etc...basically a way so that I can play my audio from my PC when I want....it looks like AirPlay might be a solid choice. I don't quite understand if it's completely wireless yet, but maybe someone can help me to understand it. I've wireless throughout the house. Would I need to run any cables from my PC/Router to the AVR for AirPlay to work? That would be great if I could do it wirelessly and not lose any audio quality, but I'm not sure if that's possible. If I have to run an ethernet cable, then I might as well keep my AVR and just run a long optical into the attic and down the wall to the AVR. Basically I'm just looking for the best way to be able to play my extensive lossless music collection from my PC through my speakers in the living room.

There are really no other requirements as most meet them nowadays (# of HDMI's, etc etc). I would say a few other important things that would be nice is that if it could do multiple zones so I can have speakers on my back patio and MultiEQ (XT would be nice, but if it's just better for multiple subs then it's really of no use).

If someone could help me clear up the whole AirPlay thing so I can understand if it's completely wireless, how the audio quality is, etc that'd be great! I have a buyer for my 663 at $200, so I might go ahead and sell it. Not looking to spend too much more as it'll have most of the features I need with plenty of power (for now lol..might add amp(s) later).

Thanks everyone! biggrin.gif

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-29-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 305
The only way airplay is wireless to the AVR is for the AVR to be hooked into the wireless network with a wireless adapter or bridge.

The Yamaha 773 comes with a wireless adapter. I would think there would be no reason you just couldn't by on and use on your AVR.

A better a likely less costly method (if airplay is your main priority) is to get an Apple TV and hook it to your AVR.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 3 Old 11-29-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Yeah I've been looking into AppleTV a little.

I download torrents and most are in MKV (better resolution) and it looks like AppleTV doesn't support MKV. I guess there is a jailbreak of AppleTV, but not sure how much goes into that. I don't want to be hacking into it for 3 hours lol. Just wanting something that can play MKV files for my downloaded movies and play Itunes or any music (streaming wireless would be great!), but I can put in a wall plate in place of a few in the study and living room that have an ethernet jack if wired would be a much better way to go as far as speed/buffering times.

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V663 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page