Is the Yamaha RX-A1020 my only hope? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
New to this site. I am finally upgrading my receiver from yesteryear and have a query.

I have a need to use an eclectic group of components so hear me out. Believe me, I have scoured multiple user manuals and setup guides before asking for help.

What I want to input:
Now:
Sony VCR with Composites
Pioneer Laser Disc Player with s-video
Pioneer CD (magazine type) player with composites or digital
Sony DVD Player with Composites
Nintendo SNES with Composites
Nintendo WII
Microsoft XBOX
Airplay

Future:
Apple TV with HDMI
Blu-Ray with HDMI
Move XBOX/WII to HDMI

What I want to output to:
Now:
Mitsuibishi 35" tube TV circa 1993 with S-video/composite

Future:
55" 3D LCD TV
HD Projector

Price range: anything under $1000.00 US

The Yamaha RX-A1020 is the only model on the market that I can tell that meets my needs. I am wondering if what I want is even doable since I have a legacy TV. The TV upgrade will come early next year.

The reason I am looking for all those inputs at one is to keep it as simple for the family as I can. I currently have those Frankenstiened into my 20+ year old Sony receiver and Mitsubishi TV and it is confusing for them to use and I even have to unplug the s-video from the TV if we want to watch a DVD.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Yahama is the only AV receiver manufacturer to include S-Video out for a while now, so other than something used or last year's RX-A1010 which you may still be able to find, the RX-A1020 would be your only single box solution.

If you do go with the RX-A1020 (or RX-A1010) then I would suggest upgrading the quality of the analogue video cables you're using where possible. The receiver supports converting both composite and component video to S-Video, and component video is much better than composite.

You can connect your SNES using higher quality S-Video using either a SNES, Nintendo 64 or GameCube S-Video cable. If your Sony DVD player has component video outputs, I'd recommend using them. While S-Video cables are available for the Xbox and Wii, at this point component cables would be easier to find and maybe cheaper.

If your LaserDisc player only has an RF AC-3 digital audio output then no receiver manufactured in a long time is compatible with it. You'd need some sort of converter to get Dolby Digital audio from your LaserDiscs. If your LD player has SPDIF digital audio outputs (or no digital audio outputs at all) then you can hook it up directly to any new receiver you get.

No receiver is capable of converting HDMI to S-Video or any other analogue video format. You won't be able to connect sources using HDMI untill you get either the new TV or projector. The Wii doesn't support HDMI, neither does the original Xbox.

Does your magazine-loading Pioneer CD player really have a composite video output?
post #3 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I forget to add there's a chance that your SNES might not be compatible with the RX-A1020/1010. Older consoles don't always worth with newer AV equipment, so make sure you can easily return the receiver if it you can't get it working. The same applies the new TV and projector you're thinking of buying.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying Ross.

First things first, is that the SNES won't make or break my decision. If it does not work, I can run it seperatly via an old analog TV. I have a spare or two smaller ones.

The LD player, I believe has regular RCA stereo outs as well. If worst comes to worst, I can live with that. I am going to look at it again to see the model #. Can't remember it.

I doubled checked the DVD player this morning and it has component for video, as well as toslink and coax for optical

Not sure what I was on when saying the CD had composites. They are just regular stereo outs unfortunately. When I checked this morning I was hoping to see a coax or better connection, but that was not to be. It will have to go.

The Xbox is a latest 360 version and it came with component connections.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I would get the 1010 and save yourself a couple hundred bucks over the 1020. The only feature missing on the 1010 is Airplay, but I never understood the appeal of Airplay when all these receivers support DLNA.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

I would get the 1010 and save yourself a couple hundred bucks over the 1020. The only feature missing on the 1010 is Airplay, but I never understood the appeal of Airplay when all these receivers support DLNA.

Airplay would be big in my house since we are Apple intensive, but if the 1010 saves enough $$, then an Apple TV could remedy that correct?

I also found that my LD model is CLD-S201. That was done through photographic memory here at work, with lots of help from google images. tongue.gif Looks like analog only for me there. Damn that Apex salesperson not up selling me on a version with digital out!
post #7 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I just double checked and the RX-A1010 is actually a much better option than the RX-A1020 because Yamaha droppped analogue-to-analogue video conversion in the RX-A1020. Only the RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 have it in this year's models.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Worse, the on-screen display doesn't work over analogue video with the RX-A1020, so this would be a very bad choice to use with analogue-only TV. So your only real hope is the RX-A1010 or the RX-A2020.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkane007 View Post

Airplay would be big in my house since we are Apple intensive, but if the 1010 saves enough $$, then an Apple TV could remedy that correct?
I also found that my LD model is CLD-S201. That was done through photographic memory here at work, with lots of help from google images. tongue.gif Looks like analog only for me there. Damn that Apex salesperson not up selling me on a version with digital out!

Here is the description of Airplay (from Denon but it should be the same for all):

"Unleash your iTunes® music library with the world's first AirPlay enabled AV components from Denon. Now you can stream the sweet sound of your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch, iPhone or iPad* or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac®. (please check apple.com for full compatibility list).

Using the Remote app on your iPhone®, iPadTM or iPod touch® and your wireless home network, you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You'll even see the iTunes music information, including your album art, track titles, and artist info on your Apple compatible device or your Denon AV system and/or receiver with video output."

I can do all of that with my Yamaha A3010 by using their app on my android phone or iPod. Unless there's something not in that description, I don't see any advantage of Airplay. Keep in mind that you can't show movies/pictures through Airplay on the receiver, only music.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys! I think I will be fishing for an A1010.

Went to Best Buy to check our the A1020 and really liked the astethics(sp?) of it. I am sure this relates to the A1010 as well. The front is really laid out will and I dig the connection options. The rear is well designed as well with the inputs and outputs properly positioned. I compared this to the Denon 3313 and a Pioneer Elite 61 and was not so convinced on those. I dig having the option of optical in the front. I could connect an old portable MD player there when needed. (Yeah I am an old tech geek). The front door on the Yammy is nice and smooth on opening, while the Pioneer was flimsy feeling.

Sound wise, It is tough to compare since in house speakers are so different from in store. I will be hooking up to Klipsch KG 4.2 front and simple Sony center and surrounds. I am on the hunt for a Klipsch KSW12 locally.

Thanks again for the great input!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page