Audyssey XT32 and sub level - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi

Just got a Audyssey XT32 receiver to compare with my MCACC receiver, and have a question about sub level.

Then i run the setup it tells me to lower the sub to 75db, but i cant as the kef sub doesnt have volumecontrol.

Any advice?.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallhall View Post

Hi
Just got a Audyssey XT32 receiver to compare with my MCACC receiver, and have a question about sub level.
Then i run the setup it tells me to lower the sub to 75db, but i cant as the kef sub doesnt have volumecontrol.
Any advice?.
Thanks in advance

What model KEF sub is it? Is it a powered sub? That is odd that the sub does not have a volume or gain control.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

What model KEF sub is it? Is it a powered sub? That is odd that the sub does not have a volume or gain control.
Bill

Thanks for the reply

The sub is a 3005 sub, and yes its powered
post #4 of 12 Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sure enough in this review it comments that there is no sub volume control. Maybe try posting in the Audyssey thread as I have no idea how to get past the "set sub to 75dB" step if your sub does not have a volume control. When you are running Audyssey at this step is there output from your sub? Does it show the sub volume level at this step? Is it above or below 75dB.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-30-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sure enough in this review it comments that there is no sub volume control. Maybe try posting in the Audyssey thread as I have no idea how to get past the "set sub to 75dB" step if your sub does not have a volume control. When you are running Audyssey at this step is there output from your sub? Does it show the sub volume level at this step? Is it above or below 75dB.
Bill

Yes it shows it, 85DB.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-30-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes it shows it, 85DB.

Thats a tough one. Definitely try posting in the Audyssey thread as many in that thread are very knowledgeable and can hopefully help you out. Just out of curiousity can you get past the sub level setting or does the level need to be lowered to 75db before you can go further?

Bill

post #7 of 12 Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thats a tough one. Definitely try posting in the Audyssey thread as many in that thread are very knowledgeable and can hopefully help you out. Just out of curiousity can you get past the sub level setting or does the level need to be lowered to 75db before you can go further?
Bill

Many thanks for your help Bill

I can proceed and finish the setup so no problem. Ofcoure i can go into speakers level, and turn it down, but i thoght audyssey did this automatic. That said it sounds very good
post #8 of 12 Old 11-30-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can proceed and finish the setup so no problem. Ofcoure i can go into speakers level, and turn it down, but i thoght audyssey did this automatic. That said it sounds very good

My pleasure. But it looks like you have everything under control smile.gif. Thats great that you can finish the calibration. I wasn't sure as my sub has a volume control so I can set it to 75dB. I have the 4311 and I've found that XT32 works quite well in my room. I'm glad to hear everything sounds good which is all that counts smile.gif.

Bill

post #9 of 12 Old 11-30-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My pleasure. But it looks like you have everything under control smile.gif. Thats great that you can finish the calibration. I wasn't sure as my sub has a volume control so I can set it to 75dB. I have the 4311 and I've found that XT32 works quite well in my room. I'm glad to hear everything sounds good which is all that counts smile.gif.
Bill

Thanks again

I also have a Infinity kappa "10" sub with volume control, will try it later and report back:)
post #10 of 12 Old 12-01-2012, 04:08 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Quote:

As the sub is putting out 85db (or +10db over the calibration level), the AVR will likely max out at -12db trying to attenuate it, therefore you won't be able to further lower it using the AVR. You'll want to add an in-line attenuator similar to this one ---> http://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-Line-Level-Attenuator/dp/B0006N41B0.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #11 of 12 Old 12-02-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As the sub is putting out 85db (or +10db over the calibration level), the AVR will likely max out at -12db trying to attenuate it, therefore you won't be able to further lower it using the AVR. You'll want to add an in-line attenuator similar to this one ---> http://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-Line-Level-Attenuator/dp/B0006N41B0.

Many thanks for your explanation

The heavy Onkyo is an great amp:D
post #12 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Quote:

This purplexed me on my 4520CI just 2 days ago..

Prior, under old XT & my 4308CI, I'd set the gain at 12 oclock on my Berighner 2500 amp and the sub would be set at around -2db or so, within plus/minus 3db pure the audyssey set-up guide.

Then, upon running XT32 on my new 4520CI it said my sub was @ 84db and displayed this box for me to move the gain knob till it was withing traget, target being 75db but actually once I went below 80db the box went from red to green and I could have proceeded. I had to turn the gain down to just past 9 oclock (I'm a "w" now, so can't give the gain# from memory).
In the end, even dialed down to lower gain XT32 set my sub trim to -4db.

So, it appears XT32 is analyzing the bass much different than XT did....I should have taken out my RS SPL meter, but forgot.....

For correct 0db reference listerning, sub's are 10db more than mains, 115db vs 105db @ peak's, so kinda curious why for the initial dial in XT32 asked for 75db astarget instead of 85db.....

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page