Automodes on Onkyo receivers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi

Have just got an Onkyo receiver, but cant find any automodes, like stereo for music and surround for films,as the Pioneer has. The Pioneer sets automatic the best sound mode for the material

Thanks in advancde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 746
My Onkyo has the feature of assignment of sound mode for each input selection (and whatever was last used will save it for that input selection, as can certain other settings). It does not have the automatic selection of mode within an input based on the signal itself, it's up to you to determine mode or change as you see fit. Maybe that's a tradeoff for having the avr select one automatically; I don't mind selecting sound mode for tv/movies to suit my taste but for something like the net apps like pandora I just leave it as stereo with the other settings I like (like Audyssey set to music, dynamic eq on, and music optimizer on). What Onkyo do you have?

post #3 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

My Onkyo has the feature of assignment of sound mode for each input selection (and whatever was last used will save it for that input selection, as can certain other settings). It does not have the automatic selection of mode within an input based on the signal itself, it's up to you to determine mode or change as you see fit. Maybe that's a tradeoff for having the avr select one automatically; I don't mind selecting sound mode for tv/movies to suit my taste but for something like the net apps like pandora I just leave it as stereo with the other settings I like (like Audyssey set to music, dynamic eq on, and music optimizer on). What Onkyo do you have?

Thanks for your reply

Its Onkyo 1010...same power as the 3010:p
post #4 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a nice unit. I have an HTRC370 but my mains run off outboard amps so still have more power than the 3010 available to me wink.gif

post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's a nice unit. I have an HTRC370 but my mains run off outboard amps so still have more power than the 3010 available to me wink.gif

Lucky b....biggrin.gif. Well maybe i have to go the same route if my mains needs more power. Need new speakers asap....probarly the new KEF R range....not the reference one:p
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

You have xt32 with that unit, though and the option of 9 channels which I have enough speakers for (and can use my avr to alternate between a surround back/front height or wide setup) but can't do with mine. If my main speakers were more efficient I might even not have used the amps but since I had them already from another setup, not a hard decision. Preouts are a nice option on an avr, particularly for your mains since they're going to get most of the work, especially if you listen to 2ch music as well.

post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You have xt32 with that unit, though and the option of 9 channels which I have enough speakers for (and can use my avr to alternate between a surround back/front height or wide setup) but can't do with mine. If my main speakers were more efficient I might even not have used the amps but since I had them already from another setup, not a hard decision. Preouts are a nice option on an avr, particularly for your mains since they're going to get most of the work, especially if you listen to 2ch music as well.

2 ch music most of the time. Have only 5.1 system now, but would probarly run 7.1 or 9.1 later then i got a bigger place.

PS: pardon my bad english here
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm running a 7.3 in a big room, no problem to go 9 or even 11 (and probably wouldn't need to go speaker shopping, just raid the shelves smile.gif ). Your English is far better than my non-existent Norwegian!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page