Need help selecting a receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone...I recently upgraded my front speakers to some klipsch speakers best buy had on sale for Black Friday...they sound great but I am concerned about whether or not my current receiver (insignia NS-HTIB51a) has enough power to continue to drive the klipsch speakers...my manual says the receiver puts put a minimum 110w per channel at 6ohms...the speakers are rated between 100-400w...should I be looking to upgrade my receiver? If so, what do you all recommend? I know best buy doesnt have the greatest reputation for their home theater sales folks, but the guy swears upmand down that the insignia is crap...My room is 13 x 18 if that helps.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Klipsch speakers are quite efficient. I don't think power should be an issue and that receiver does in fact have some form of Audyssey room correction software (2EQ or MultEQ, couldn't find specific info on this). However, in this case the BB guy is probably right, i.e., you could do better. I would recommend something from Denon or Yamaha. What's your budget?

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 5 Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

Klipsch speakers are quite efficient. I don't think power should be an issue and that receiver does in fact have some form of Audyssey room correction software (2EQ or MultEQ, couldn't find specific info on this). However, in this case the BB guy is probably right, i.e., you could do better. I would recommend something from Denon or Yamaha. What's your budget?

$600 for the receiver...but I wanna make sure that if I need to upgrade, that I don't buy something in that price range that isn't worth it....in other words I don't wanna spend $600 on something just because of the name...make sense?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrscort View Post

$600 for the receiver...but I wanna make sure that if I need to upgrade, that I don't buy something in that price range that isn't worth it....in other words I don't wanna spend $600 on something just because of the name...make sense?

Scroll through the first four or five pages of threads in this section and you will find that pretty much every thread deals with a Yamaha, Deon, Pioneer, or Onkyo receiver. All four brands have gained a considerable following not just because of their name, but because, for the most part, they make quality products.

If I were, I would go to their websites and look at the features that each receiver offers. Make a list of features that you need and that you want. Come here and search the receiver type and 99% of the time you'll find a dedicated thread for that type of receiver with loads of information about them. One you have your list and know what you want you can eliminate receivers / brands that won't work.

For me, it was to find a 7.1 receiver that came packed with airplay and audyssey calibration for under $350. In the range that I was looking onkyo doesn't offer airplay and Yamaha didn't have Audyssey. So that left Denon and Pioneer. I then just shopped for the best bargain.

At $600 though, i think these are some high;y competent receivers.

The denon 1913 goes for under 600, but if you deal search I bet you can find a deal on a 2113ci for under 600.

Yamaha also has some really nice ones like the RX-V673 for under 600.

Just a few example. good luck.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 AM

Newbie here…. I’m in the same boat. Trying to find a good receiver. Not sure if I’m in the right thread here. I’ve never had a quality receiver before so it’s somewhat confusing with regard to all the options and details on the various receivers. Never mind each place you go to tells you something different. I’m in need of some quality unbiased help. Heres my situation: My room is 20 x 12 with carpeting and 7 ft. ceilings. I just purchased Def-Techs 8060st 5.1 surround system speaker package. I’m trying to set up a home theater system for movies and listening to music. We mostly watch TV and Movies. We are starting to get more into the music end of things also. I’m not an Audiophile or Videophile, but I definitely can tell the audio difference between speaker quality and really appreciate the finer high quality stuff. Moneys not an issue within reason. I don’t feel the need to spend $2,000.00 for a receiver, if its not necessary, just so I can brag to someone with what I’ve bought. However, if needed, I will spend whatever is necessary…$2,000.00 is not a problem. One concern I have is future growth for lack of a better word. I would rather get something a little bit more than I need now in anticipation of future needs so I don’t have to start all over again in the future with another purchase in a few years. The only device I currently have is a Sony Play station 3 for gaming which I also use for Blue ray movies. We don’t enjoy listening to head banging extra loud music that would shake a house but we crank up the volume on certain occasions while listening to movies or music, and we need a receiver to work with us in these situations. Being that I’m a newbie, my thoughts were to find a high quality receiver that was friendly and easy to operate. I found a Denon 2313ci (105 watts x 7 channels with 3D) at Best buy for $900.00 retail. Not sure if this is a good fit for my criteria? If not any other suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page