How Often Do most upgrade receivers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 12-02-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just looking for a general idea.

I now have the pio vsx 92thx since 2007. I have no complaints. I just last week replaced my samsund dlp because of that damn white dot problem. Didnt see the need to shell out $400 to fix. I replaced it with a Panny 55st50. This is also my first 3d tv.
I was gonna give the 3d a shot until i realized my receiver is not 3d capable. I refuse to watch a blu ray without loss less sound. Kinda defeats the purpose. I do plan to watch some 3d just to try it out and see if its worth an avr upgrade. I also want to get into 3d gaming.

I also see that many of the new recievers are also 4k compatable even though that is years away and one would need a brand new tv to watch it..........

So my question is, how often do most people upgrade?
Knowing that as soon as you purchase an avr it is obsolete because the industry will change and require hdmi 1. whatever just to view or listen to the latest or greatest. And ofcourse these AVRs are not upgradeable.....to my knowledge.

THanks for the responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I think most people upgrade when their reciever no longet meets their needs. I got an Onkyo reciever to utalize hdmi,replaced that with an Integra dhc 80.1 to go with seperates, replaced that with an 80.2 for 3d and audyssey xt32. Audiogon is a great resource for finding newer used equipment and to sell what you have.

post #3 of 44 Old 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I think most people upgrade when their reciever no longet meets their needs. I got an Onkyo reciever to utalize hdmi,replaced that with an Integra dhc 80.1 to go with seperates, replaced that with an 80.2 for 3d and audyssey xt32. Audiogon is a great resource for finding newer used equipment and to sell what you have.

THanks for the site. Yea after I get my 3d glasses and do some experimentation ill make my decision.
post #4 of 44 Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Many bluray players now offer two hdmi outputs as well. One to go to your Tv for 3d, and the other to your avr for lossless audio. Probably cheaper to go this route than to upgrade tor receiver.

My Theater build
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xbox360 gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #5 of 44 Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I went from an Old Sony pro-logic reciever, just as DD5.1 was coming out (mid 90's) to a Pioneer VSX-1014 (2004) and now just picked up a Pioneer VSX-1222 (2012), so about every 8yrs? I don't see the need for 3D and even 7 channels are pushing it for me - I have a hard enough time fitting 5 in my room. That said, I may get my next receiver sooner than 2020.

YID DIY
post #6 of 44 Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I am just now getting ready to upgrade my receiver and I have had it for almost 5 years with no problems....the Onkyo TX-SR 705....but I recently ordered the esteemed Ascend Sierra Towers and will be getting the Sierra Horizon Center so I decided it was time to take my AVR to the next level....so I am now considering getting the Denon 4520-CI..

If I had not upgraded my speakers, I would not be thinking of upgrading my AVR....it is like a domino effect I guess...even though the Onkyo should be able to power the new speakers, I just want to upgrade anyhow to see what I might be missing....it has been 5 years afterall....I am not locked in on the Denon yet but I do want something with the new Audyssey XT-32 speaker calibration. I have heard so many good things about that and think it is worth an upgrade.cool.gif

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #7 of 44 Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 166
The last feature that was important enough for me to upgrade from a non-broken unit was dynamic loudness compensation. Before that was good room correction. My most recent upgrade ended up being a big sonic improvement (Anthem Room Correction vs. Audyssey MultEQ XT) but only happened because my previous Denon 4308ci threw its digital audio board, and it seems that under Bain Capital ownership D&M Holdings completely lost any reasonable notion of after-sales service to customers who purchased their higher-end products.

I don't think these things are going to be "obsolete" for a while. The video stuff is going to be stable for a little while, I think. 4K and 3D don't strike me as worth the hassle of upgrading an AVR. On the audio side, there will be some fine-tuning of room correction systems, but nothing too serious. I'm not going to hold my breath that AVR or pre-pro makers are going to get serious about designing AVRs to handle multisub systems properly.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #8 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The manufacturers expect you to upgrade every year or so smile.gif
The lifespan of a current model in terms of technical features nowadays is around 3 - 5 years at most.
Some manufacturers design their models lifespan this way already. mad.gif
post #9 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
yearly... redface.gifsmile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #10 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Yes, my 5508 was trouble free for about a year. I would find it difficult buying another Onkyo because of it's short lifespan. Hopefully I can get several years out of the Denon I replaced it with. It used to be you could get at least a decade out of a pre-amp and amp. I'm wondering if there are any "hotspots" in the Denon that might benefit from a fan placed on top of it, I did that with my Onkyo and it doesn't seem that it was any help.
post #11 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post

Many bluray players now offer two hdmi outputs as well. One to go to your Tv for 3d, and the other to your avr for lossless audio. Probably cheaper to go this route than to upgrade tor receiver.

Yea thats probably the best idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

The manufacturers expect you to upgrade every year or so smile.gif
The lifespan of a current model in terms of technical features nowadays is around 3 - 5 years at most.
Some manufacturers design their models lifespan this way already. mad.gif

yea thats what I hate. Its like they all wanna be like crapple....I mean apple. Instead of creating a future proof product they want you to buy new crap often with minor updates.
Id love to buy a avr that gives me the option to have updates. For example I can send in for to pay them to upgrade to hdmi 1.4, instead of buying a whole new avr. OR have a buyback program.
Damn gready tech companies.
post #12 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Whiting View Post

yea thats what I hate. Its like they all wanna be like crapple....I mean apple. Instead of creating a future proof product they want you to buy new crap often with minor updates.
Id love to buy a avr that gives me the option to have updates. For example I can send in for to pay them to upgrade to hdmi 1.4, instead of buying a whole new avr. OR have a buyback program.

You mean consumer electronics companies are in the business of selling more consumer electronics? Shocking eek.gifrolleyes.gif
post #13 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
The A/V bug didn't bite me until January of last year. Until then, I was happy with my Onkyo amp and pre-amp I had integrated to my Sony 1080P box TV. The Onkyo I had for almost 20 years (still use the pre-amp to run my turntable thru my Yamaha receiver.)

I treat it as a hobby and not an obsession. Some people are always on the lookout for newer/bigger/better. I plan on simply babying my equipment. If indeed something does come along to make me re-think my system, I'll wait awhile and see how said equipment performs for those who jump in right away. If I might add one thing, don't pour all your time and energy into it. I noticed that it can become a siren. Instead of going out and doing things, you'd much rather sit at home and watch a movie. It's my experience that women want to go out and (as it was pointed out to me) "experience life"...not sit at home and "veg." If you plan on being single all your life, well, carry on. tongue.gif

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #14 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

The A/V bug didn't bite me until January of last year. Until then, I was happy with my Onkyo amp and pre-amp I had integrated to my Sony 1080P box TV. The Onkyo I had for almost 20 years (still use the pre-amp to run my turntable thru my Yamaha receiver.
I treat it as a hobby and not an obsession. Some people are always on the lookout for newer/bigger/better. I plan on simply babying my equipment. If indeed something does come along to make me re-think my system, I'll wait awhile and see how said equipment performs for those who jump in right away. If I might add one thing, don't pour all you time and energy into it. I noticed that it can become a siren. Instead of going out and doing things, you'd much rather sit at home and watch a movie. It's my experience that women want to go out and (as it was pointed out to me) "experience life."...not sit at home and "veg." If you plan on being single all your life, well, carry on. tongue.gif

Yea already married. Just with work and working out i cant veg like I want. IVe got HD-DVDs on the back burner from years ago I still havent watched. Much less all the blu-rays. If anything Ill just upgrade to a 3d-blu ray player since the PS3 is only one hdmi.
post #15 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

@Charles Whiting
The area of "upgradable" AVRs is (almost) gone for some time now, because no-one is able to look into the future and build (sell able) future proof equipment.
I didn't work in the past and it won't work for the future, because there is only so much you can adapt for, without redesigning everything from the ground up.
Even firmware upgrades are now postponed to next years model as long as new features have to be introduced, just because the manufacturer can (and will) make money on this, which would have been free instead.
post #16 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

@Charles Whiting
The area of "upgradable" AVRs is (almost) gone for some time now, because no-one is able to look into the future and build (sell able) future proof equipment.
I didn't work in the past and it won't work for the future, because there is only so much you can adapt for, without redesigning everything from the ground up.
Even firmware upgrades are now postponed to next years model as long as new features have to be introduced, just because the manufacturer can (and will) make money on this, which would have been free instead.

I hear you. Id even be willing to pay for certain firmware updates if it keeps from having to make to many changes.
post #17 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Look at other commodities like cameras, smartphones, everything consumer electronics.
Everyone of those manufacturers is walking (almost) in the same direction. Money is the name of the game, not service anymore.
If you can charge for it... do it.
Next years model is next years firmware update (including the hardware too eek.gif)..
post #18 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I find this thread/topic fascinating, as you get answers all over the map. I'm still using a >10 year old Yamaha integrated amp, and my next upgrade cycle will likely be driven by the need for a new display. Why? My old HDTV has multiple (analog) inputs, which makes for direct connection of HDTV receivers and Blu-Ray players (via component) as well as older technology (like LaserDisc). If/when I decide to buy a flat panel display, I will lose all of the "old" (like S-Video) inputs as well as reduced quantity. That means I'll be forced to buy a new Amp/Receiver that will translate/up-convert (and switch) all old analog video sources to HDMI, since that's about all the new displays have.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #19 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

You need to get out more. Apple's stuff tends to be better-built than competitors. And longer-lasting, too.

Yes, technology moves forward, and new ones get features that weren't available before. For example, my fiancee's brand-spanking-new Retina MacBook can easily mirror its screen over AirPlay with the AppleTV, but my late-2009 base model white unibody MacBook cannot. That's what companies are supposed to do, though. Make new stuff that makes people want it.

I've seen a few not-a-Macs that are the same age as my white unibody. They invariably look like beat up old things, and have various performance issues.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #20 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1
post #21 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm on my 3rd Onkyo AVR over 18 years. The first one was dolby surround back in 94' (TX-SV727?). The second one was around 2003/2004 (TX-SR800) adding the ability to have a powered subwoofer with 7.1. My most recent one was purchased in 2010 (TX-NR3007) giving me HDMI and room correction. My upgrade decisions were based on new peripheral equipment support needs

However, my brother is now using the 9 year old TX-SR800 as his main AV system and his son is now using the 18+ year old TX-SV727 in his bedroom.smile.gif
post #22 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I've been buying AVRs since the early 90s... My first was a Sony Pro Logic receiver. I quickly replaced that with a Pioneer Pro Logic receiver for no good reason. My next upgrade was a Sony Dolby Digital receiver (going from Pro Logic to DD was probably the most dramatic improvement I've had in my upgrades).

Next up was the 7.1 Onkyo SR800 in 2004. I replaced that with an Onkyo 3008 in 2011, and it's already bricked. I also had an Onkyo 606 in my secondary HT setup that also bricked after a couple of years. I now have a Yamaha A3010 in my primary HT, and a Denon 1612 in my secondary HT.

Up until recently, I've always upgraded my AVRs on my own schedule. Nowadays, it seems like the AVRs make the decision for me. frown.gif
chris6878 likes this.
post #23 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You know the old saying, "the only thing that's constant in the universe is change." Trying to keep up on technology is a losing game. Technology, it seems, progresses geometrically and not arithmatically. Sure, some people have the money but more often than not, the vast majority have to skrimp and save.

post #24 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Liked: 16

I'll upgrade tell the thing stops working, or there's a new disk format with new sound technology.

:)

post #25 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

You know the old saying, "the only thing that's constant in the universe is change." Trying to keep up on technology is a losing game. Technology, it seems, progresses geometrically and not arithmatically..
Luckily it doesn't upgrade trigonometrically. We'd keep going back and forth between 1 and -1.

YID DIY
post #26 of 44 Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Luckily it doesn't upgrade trigonometrically. We'd keep going back and forth between 1 and -1.

Ba-da-bing. biggrin.gif

post #27 of 44 Old 12-04-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Funny how the value of AVR's and Prepros drop like a rock the second you walk out the store. My old Krell Showcase still works fine but it's old technology so it goes from $4000 to about $700. Meanwhile my old tech 26 year old Linn TT and 20 year old Threshold amps are worth more.smile.gif
post #28 of 44 Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, just imagine trying to sell a Onkyo SC-PR5508 with it's heat related problems. Even after repair it's subject to the same problem after a certain amount of use.
I'm too honest to not mention the problem.
post #29 of 44 Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Funny how the value of AVR's and Prepros drop like a rock the second you walk out the store. My old Krell Showcase still works fine but it's old technology so it goes from $4000 to about $700. Meanwhile my old tech 26 year old Linn TT and 20 year old Threshold amps are worth more.smile.gif

Good point. About two years ago I sold a ca. 20 year old Threshold SA 4E on Audiogon for over $6K. Its a classic. The sample we sold was almost in NOS condition. We found it while cleaning out a store room. That all said it is a completely insanely engineered amplifier that in typical use sounds no different than a Behringer A500 that I had on hand at the same time. They are both basically 125 wpc amps! However, with weird loads the Theshold redefines the word grunt.

In the same store room we found several mainstream top-of-the line receivers that were about a decade old and may have cost a $K or two. I was able to sell one for about $100.
post #30 of 44 Old 12-04-2012, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a B & K 307 receiver that I have been using for 8 years. I am going to upgrade very soon. I replaced the TV and got a blue ray player, and of course they are HDMI and I need a new unit that accepts. I think it is ok to step in the water with HDMI 1.4a, and am glad I bypassed versions 1.1 - 1.4 based on all the issues folks have experienced. I would like to upgrade more often, but this stuff can become obsolete and worthless in no time.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page