ARC confusion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-02-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a Denon AVR 1912, new Panasonic UT50" plasma with 2 HDMI inputs, 2 is labled ARC , and new Direct TV PVR box.....Before getting the new Panasonic TV, I was content to not even worry with ARC (audio return channel) because my TV at the time had no content itself....The new Panasonic however has an Ethernet port and so has Neflix, youtube, etc so I assume I need to use the ARC HDMI port to the Denon so that I can hear the audio on the net apps the TV has. I would've thought it would be just one HDMI cable from HDMI port 2 (ARC) on the tv to the Denon's HDMI TV/Output HDMI port, but I hear no sound at all now, even from other sources like the Direct TV box, which is plugged into the SAT port of the Denon. I have HDMI 'control' turned ON on the Denon. Am I missing a setup thing somewhere? I wonder if the Panasonic tv has to have something plugged in HDMI port one, which is only labled AV IN , before you use the #2 HDMI jack....I checked setting on the Panasonic to maybe see if there's a setting for HDMI control or ARC but didn't find anything..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-02-2012, 02:16 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Your cabling configuration is correct, however, on the TV you must enable the HDMI-CEC feature (VierraLink) as well as setting the audio to "external speakers" in addition to having the AVR setting of HDMI Control to YES. However, note that ARC on Pannys are limited to only 2.0 over the HDMI(ARC) connection while using an optical cable from the TV to the AVR will result in DD 5.1 from those sources that use it (eg. Netflix).

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_E5

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 12-02-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That did it, thank you! ...I'll pick up a optical cable for 5.1 too...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page