Time to updgrade my pre/pro from the troublesome Emotiva UMC1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had it with my Emotiva UMC1. It still has hdmi handshake issues (I've swapped multiple cables already) and it still suffers from lockups. I'm tired of fiddling around with it.

My setup is as follows: Emotiva UMC1 prepro, ATI1505 5 ch amp (approx 140w/ch if I recall), Bohlender Graebner Radia 520i mains, center and surround, HSU TN1200 sub with its own 500w amp. Sources are Western Digital Live for mkv files, PS3 to stream netflix/amazon and watch BluRay, of course my laptop.

My thought is to replace the UMC1 with a Marantz AV7005 or AV7701. However the 7005 can be han for $1199 right now so that's a $600 savings. Neither the 7005 nor the 7701 have Audyssey XT32. If I want that I'd have to go with the 8000 series prepro. But that's almost double the money.

Alternatively I could pick up an Onkyo 3009 from Crutchfield for $1499 right on special and that DOES have the XT32.

My question are is it worth it to upgrade from the standard Audyssey XT to XT32? Will I hear a difference?

I'm pretty satisfied with the ATI amplifier. It's a heavy beastie with good current. The Onkyo is ostensibly rated similar but I can't believe a 55 lb receiver is going to deliver the same kind of current as a separate 75 lb amp, especially to my Bohlenders. Will I hear the difference in these amps? Or will the superior room procession of the Audyssey XT32 make up for any amplifier "deficiencies"?

My analog system will be separate from this surround setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I feel for you and the UMC-1. You might want to see if you can get a Denon 4311CI for around $1300 or perhaps an Onkyo PR-SC5509. I hesitate to recommend the Onkyo as my PR-SC5508 is dying and I've only had it a year but the 5509 is said to have had these problems fixed. Keep the amplifier as its better than any receiver's amp. Aren't the BG's 4 ohms? If so, a receiver won't handle them well.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was part of the UMC-1 wairt list years ago and I bought an Onkyo PR-SC885 during the wait. Several months later I upgraded to a 886 to get some of the video tweaking capability and the volume adjustments. Couldn't be happier with its performance and especially its lack of issues. No updates, bugs, etc. and it works great. They can be had used in the $500 to $600 range. Seems like I saw one on the Emo forum or the Polk forum recently.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #4 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 460
I had the UMC-1 as well and it was not for me although that was before any FW updates. I would also recommend the 4311 as I feel that XT32 is a worthwhile upgrade over XT. The 4311 replaced an Onkyo 886 with XT and it is a big improvement especially with the way my sub is EQ'd. IIRC correctly the 7005 has issues playing Hi-Rez audio and having Audyssey enabled at the same time. I forget the exact issue but if you are serious about the 7005 you might want to look into it. If you are looking in the $1200 price range I strongly feel the 4311 is the best and most issue free AVR/prepro choice out there.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I had the UMC-1 as well and it was not for me although that was before any FW updates. I would also recommend the 4311 as I feel that XT32 is a worthwhile upgrade over XT. The 4311 replaced an Onkyo 886 with XT and it is a big improvement especially with the way my sub is EQ'd. IIRC correctly the 7005 has issues playing Hi-Rez audio and having Audyssey enabled at the same time. I forget the exact issue but if you are serious about the 7005 you might want to look into it. If you are looking in the $1200 price range I strongly feel the 4311 is the best and most issue free AVR/prepro choice out there.
Bill

I think you're thinking of the EQ limitation of the AV8003.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I feel for you and the UMC-1. You might want to see if you can get a Denon 4311CI for around $1300 or perhaps an Onkyo PR-SC5509. I hesitate to recommend the Onkyo as my PR-SC5508 is dying and I've only had it a year but the 5509 is said to have had these problems fixed. Keep the amplifier as its better than any receiver's amp. Aren't the BG's 4 ohms? If so, a receiver won't handle them well.

I feel for you and your Onkyo.frown.gif

To the OP.
Any thoughts on the simple Outlaw 975?
No EQ or bells and whistles of any kind. <$600.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the sarcasm. If one doesn't want room EQ or features some consider essential then the Outlaw would seem to be a good choice. After all, I used a UMC-1 without room EQ, since EmoQ was useless, for quite a long while.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the sarcasm. If one doesn't want room EQ or features some consider essential then the Outlaw would seem to be a good choice. After all, I used a UMC-1 without room EQ, since EmoQ was useless, for quite a long while.

I didn't know the frown.gif smiley was sarcasm.
I was truly sad your Onkyo died. (sorry, or did I miss read you?)

The other part was for the OP. I never really used EMO-Q that much when I had the UMC since I have a Anti-Mode 8033S already that does a fine job in my room.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post

I didn't know the frown.gif smiley was sarcasm.
I was truly sad your Onkyo died. (sorry, or did I miss read you?)
The other part was for the OP. I never really used EMO-Q that much when I had the UMC since I have a Anti-Mode 8033S already that does a fine job in my room.

I apologize. I was being over sensitive. Yes, I love the sound and video provided by the Onkyo. It is sad that they have such problems, they should have a recall. I probably will never get another Onkyo even though its said that they fixed the problem with the 5509 and the rest of the "9" series. I've got a Denon AVR-4311 sitting on my couch that's too heavy for me to move into its place on the rack. Hopefully I'm not cursed and that this one won't fail. Yes, I've heard the Antimode is a good room eq. Audyssey is an important feature for me although I also "tweak" the frequency response with an Omnimic and miniDSPs.
post #10 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I apologize. I was being over sensitive. Yes, I love the sound and video provided by the Onkyo. It is sad that they have such problems, they should have a recall. I probably will never get another Onkyo even though its said that they fixed the problem with the 5509 and the rest of the "9" series. I've got a Denon AVR-4311 sitting on my couch that's too heavy for me to move into its place on the rack. Hopefully I'm not cursed and that this one won't fail. Yes, I've heard the Antimode is a good room eq. Audyssey is an important feature for me although I also "tweak" the frequency response with an Omnimic and miniDSPs.

No worries, I just wasn't sure if the sarcasm remark was about the Onkyo or going simple on a AVP.
Reading the review of the 975 online got me thinking if all of the geewiz features we see know on gear is doing more harm than good to the overall goal of good sound.
(room eq aside since that can be good if done correctly)
post #11 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, if you believe that than perhaps the Outlaw is for you. For me, there are a number of "bells and whistles" I find essential. The rest do no harm IMHO and can be ignored. There is no harm in having a basic pre-pro for those who want it and may actually make some money.
post #12 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I went from an Integra dhc 80.1 to an 80.2 partially because the 80.2 has xt32. In my room with my system, it made a positive, noticeable difference.

post #13 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post

For some reason I thought the AV/SR7005 had the same issue. If not then I am mistaken.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #14 of 25 Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for all the replies so far. Theresa, you're right. The BG 520i's are indeed 4 ohms. And that's going to be really tough on any receiver's amp. In fact, I'm rather doubtful that the receivers mentioned could drive these speakers the way my ATI amp can. The receivers are generally in the 35-40 lb range, while the ATI is 75 lbs! There's no way the power supplies of these receivers are going to be robust enough to survive long driving a 5.1 system @ 4 ohms for long.

The idea of using the Denon 4311CI as a prepro is intriguing. The next step up pricewise is the Integra 80.3 but that's usually available from installers and it's about $2600. It is Stereophile Rated Class A though if you put credence into that kind of thing.

Right now my setup is 5.1. The room is wired up for 9.2 but those would have to be supplemental in-ceiling type speakers. And that would create a problem with using the receiver as a prepro since my ATI is only 5 channel. I do have a spare ATI 2 channel amp that I could throw into the mix however.

The other issue is my HSU TN1200 sub comes with its own 500w amp. From what I recall, HSU uses its own equalization curve for this sub. There is no way to turn off this eq curve if I use their amp. Will the Audyssey software accommodate this?
post #15 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been tempted by the BG drivers from Parts Express for quite a while. They are one of the better planar drivers.
post #16 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post

For some reason I thought the AV/SR7005 had the same issue. If not then I am mistaken.

Bill

nope... the 7005 has enough horsepower to do both codec unpacking and apply xt...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #17 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I sometimes wonder if Audyssey would make any more $$$ selling standalone x32 boxes vs what they make off OEM licencing.
It seems now like their focus is wireless speakers and audio docks.
post #18 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
You better get XT32. I'm never buying a processor or receiver without this (or something equivalent) ever again.
post #19 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

You better get XT32. I'm never buying a processor or receiver without this (or something equivalent) ever again.

What did you use before that?

I'm using the Antimode and I like the results in my room.
But you always wonder if it can get better with a different EQ.
(but the engineer in me says a second or an over all sub upgrade would yield better results)
post #20 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

(but the engineer in me says a second or an over all sub upgrade would yield better results)

+1 to sam's post....

previous to xt32 (i also use the pro kit), i used xt in conjunction with an antimode 8033... xt32 gives better results than that combination...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #21 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I sometimes wonder if Audyssey would make any more $$$ selling standalone x32 boxes vs what they make off OEM licencing.
It seems now like their focus is wireless speakers and audio docks.

they tried... problem is, the standalone box cost more than an xt32 equipped avr...

- chris

post #22 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

+1 to sam's post....
previous to xt32 (i also use the pro kit), i used xt in conjunction with an antimode 8033... xt32 gives better results than that combination...

Did you use the pro kit with xt?
Some AVRs have that option.

Is it xt32 by itself or do you need the pro kit also?
Lots of variables to consider but choice is good!
post #23 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

I had regular XT before that. I thought regular XT was basically garbage, and was unable to use it at all. It colored the sound too much. I tried several re-measurements, and even used it in two different rooms. I have a fairly high-end system (now using Denon AVP upgraded with XT32), so maybe regular XT is better than poor rooms + no correction + modest systems. But if you really want transparency in the processing chain, XT32 is really the only solution IMO.

I do have the pro kit as well, and use it with the AVP. I have a Denon 4311 as well, but haven't bought a pro license for it yet. That's only a 2.0 system with bookshelf speakers.
post #24 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

+1 to sam's post....

Did you use the pro kit with xt?
Some AVRs have that option.

Is it xt32 by itself or do you need the pro kit also?
Lots of variables to consider but choice is good!

no... the pro kit + xt is still just xt... that wouldn't be a wise expenditure of funds...

no, you do not need the pro kit to run xt32...

- chris

post #25 of 25 Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

nope... the 7005 has enough horsepower to do both codec unpacking and apply xt...

Thanks, Chris for correcting me as I did have the AV8003 in my head redface.gif.
Quote:

+1 to sam's post....

I was using XT with an Anti-Mode as well but without Pro. I also feel that XT32 does a much better job EQing my sub and my entire system as well.

Bill

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page