Yamaha 473/HTR4065 - HDMI Passthrough issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I just picked up an HTR4065 from Costco for $279. Thought it was a good price; so far impressed with this receiver (upgraded from a very old Kenwood receiver w/no HDMI). The issue I'm having is with pass-through HDMI. I have 3 HDMI inputs - a PC (media center), Roku and Sony Bluray player. When the receiver is ON, everything is perfect - 1080i being sent to the TV (fairly certain of this). When I enable HDMI pass-through, power down the receiver and then switch input sources between HDMI1-3, it appears that only the Roku appears correctly. The other two appear to have very off colors/washed out color. When I turned the receiver on after this, even with power ON I continued to have video problems. TO fix this I had to shut off HDMI Pass-through and power cycle.

I will try swapping HDMI cables between the Roku and the other devices, maybe that's the issue, but I'm not sure why that would be because if I direct connect any one of these devices to the TV they all work fine. And when powered on, w/out HDMI pass-through, the Yamaha works great.

I'll add that from the receiver to the TV I'm using an HDMI-DVI dongle, but I don't think that would make any difference (But who knows).

Any ideas what might be happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I had an issue where my cable box through my 473 would turn purple every once in a while, but it doesn't happen any longer. And when it did, cycling the power would fix it. Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? Also, some people did report that switching HDMI cables helped them with similar problems.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

I had an issue where my cable box through my 473 would turn purple every once in a while, but it doesn't happen any longer. And when it did, cycling the power would fix it. Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? Also, some people did report that switching HDMI cables helped them with similar problems.

I have tried swapping HDMI cables - swapped my Roku cable for the Bluray player, same result. What you're describing is what I see- very purplish display. Colors are just way off. I have also upgraded firmware. I will try power cycling down the sources, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the HDMI settings on the devices themselves (color depth, etc.).
post #4 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I don't think so because my run-of-the-mill cable box (a Samsung HD-DVR from Time Warner) did it, and it doesn't have deep color or anything like that.

For me it didn't do it every time. If yours does it every time, then maybe you should consider either swapping it for a different unit, or returning it altogether and getting a different brand (a Denon, maybe--but it will cost more).

post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

I don't think so because my run-of-the-mill cable box (a Samsung HD-DVR from Time Warner) did it, and it doesn't have deep color or anything like that.
For me it didn't do it every time. If yours does it every time, then maybe you should consider either swapping it for a different unit, or returning it altogether and getting a different brand (a Denon, maybe--but it will cost more).

Yeah-- good point. I'll call Yamaha support and see what they have to say. I like the receiver but really was hoping pass-through would work. Strange to me that it consistently works for Roku, but not the bluray player or PC, regardless of cables/HDMI ports on the amp.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycat View Post

Yeah-- good point. I'll call Yamaha support and see what they have to say. I like the receiver but really was hoping pass-through would work. Strange to me that it consistently works for Roku, but not the bluray player or PC, regardless of cables/HDMI ports on the amp.

Quick update in case others have this issue. Remember I'm using an HDMI to DVI-D cable between the receiver and my big old Toshiba RPTV.

I called Yamaha support, and they didn't help - suggested only swapping HDMI cables.

I went back to the Bluray player, to video settings, and found the issue. The problem was with the color space. I had it set to Auto, when I changed to YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 had similar issues, change to RGB and it worked fine. I then read some info on color space, and it seems for DVI-D input signals RGB should be used.

Roku apparently uses RGB for the color space by default.

What is weird is that when I SHUT OFF passthrough, using the default Auto/YCbCr settings on the Bluray, everything is fine (with receiver on). And all devices work fine when plugged right into the TV with an HDMI to DVI-D converter. SO something is goofy when pass-through is used with the power is off, when not using RGB color space.

Now I'm going to see if I can figure out how to change these settings on my PC.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 AM

This is definitely related to the colour space. I have swapped between 4 different HDMI cables

My devices all work fine with the Yamaha 473 connected to my Sony TV ( I have Sky+HD, Apple TV, and Xbox 360)
However my Benq W1070 projector shows a purple cast to the picture on my Sky box and Apple TV where black should be.

The Apple TV will work if forced to RGB colour space, but not on CRY (or automatic, which presumably chooses CRY)
The sky box can't be forced to a specific colour space.

I think this is all to do with the HDMI menu overlays, as though (say) the capabilities of the output device are all being passed to the source so a compatible mode can be chosen, but the yamaha ignores the colour space setting when overlaying its menu.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 01:22 AM

Liked: 12

Hi,

I've just literally had this same issue with the same AV receiver and projector as Solublepeter.

I ran the network update on the receiver and it seemed to fix it even though no update happened (was 1.14 and 'updated' to 1.14).

Forcing the various devices to RGB colour space did fix the problem and removed the purple haze that afflicted the picture.

I was about to perform a factory reset of the receiver as a last resort but didn't have to get that far.

Really weird as the problem only happened this morning despite working flawlessly this whole time.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page