Denon 1912/1913 or ... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I'm buying/installing a surround sound setup for my father for his birthday. I'm gotten all the speakers and was about to purchase the receiver when I realized that I needed to upgrade my receiver as well and if I just upgraded mine and gave my father my old one (a Denon AVR-1911) it would be better than what I was planning on buying him anyways. Moral qualms with not spending more on the man that gave me life (and giving him a used receiver) aside, this is the path that I chose to go with, but time is short and I need to figure out my new receiver within the next day or so.

My main reason for updating is needing more HDMI inputs, and my plan was to buy the newer 1912. That is until I saw that Denon had actually released an even newer model, 1913. Then I saw the extremely lackluster reviews on the 1913 on Amazon and second guessed my plan. I combed through a number of the negative reviews to filter out those that are just uninformed complaints ("this receiver can only be 7.1 OR Zone2!! 0 STARS!!" and the like) but still a bunch of them were complaining about HDCP/Handshake issues which I had with my unit at one point (I'm pretty sure it was traced back to a Sharp TV but I'm not convinced it wasn't a combination). This in combination with what is listed as the highest rated Receivers on Amazon got me thinking that I should really see if there's a better option.

Normally I would do a plethora of research myself and come back to the forum for a suggestion between a few models but as I stated, I do not have the luxury of time. What I absolutely need:

1) More than 4 HDMI inputs (more the better obviously)
2) One upscaling Component input (not sure if this is the correct terminology, I need the receiver to take one component in and send the video over the one HDMI out).
3) 3D capabilities
4) 4k passthrough (while I'm buying, might as well future proof myself a bit. Though on second look, I don't think the Denon's have this. Is this something that's worth buying w/o having a 4k tv?)
5) It to cost between 400 and 550 USD
6) More features the better (i.e. Airplay, 2nd or 3rd Zones, Front HDMI ports etc)

And that's really it. I have 5.1 surround in that room and I have a PC (soon to be a Mac as well) hooked up to the receiver so Airplay isn't imperative. Also I used to use the Zone2 out to push music outdoors but the need of an analog source and my horrible soldering skills forced me to abandon that and just use Airplay upstairs on a MacMini to play "networked" audio. But I"m pretty OCD (read: weird and compulsive) and like to have those types of extra features even if I don't have an immediate need for them (I know I'm trying to get help). Basically I'm just looking for any suggestions from the super knowledgeable/enthusiastic people here for anything else to look at. I don't know anything about the feature dispersion among different models in any brand outside of Denon (and not THAT much about Denon itself). But some I'm looking at:

Denon 1912 (~$440)
Denon 1913 (~$525) - I can't tell what it has that the 1912 doesn't...
Onkyo TX-NR717 (~525) - highest rated on amazon, has 7 (!) HDMI inputs and 3 (!) zones, this is the one that really made me think. Seems too good to be true and I've heard they aren't as reliable or have as good of sound in general as a Denon. Also I can't tell if it includes a microphone to set the Audyssey settings...
Yamaha RX-V673 (~$550) - also very highly rated on amazon, similar features to the Onkyo

Anyways I don't know much about any of these specific receivers or the individual brands specific lines (i.e. what the difference between the RX-V673 and the RX-V671 or if there's even a RX-V672). Any and all suggestions/information would be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
If you really must have 4K, only the Denon XX13 "CI" models have this feature, although unless you plan on upgrading to at least an 80" display, not really a necessary feature. Also note both the 1912 and 1913 use the better version of Audyssey MultEQ which can EQ the sub whereas the 717 uses the most basic version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ the sub.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

That's really good info, thanks. I did some more research. Seems that i'm being a little optimistic thinking the receiver I buy now needs to have 4k passthrough. But the info concerning the Audyssey differences. That may make my decision for me. Any other major differences between the 1912 and 1913?
post #4 of 9 Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 AM
585-645-1006

Review post #2 in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig for a comparison of the various models.
sethfeinberg likes this.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5 of 9 Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

I read that post and though it did offer the useful advice that the 2113 is, in the author's opinion, a better value than the 1913, I didn't see any comparison between the 1912 and 1913...
edit: Or the 2112 and 2113. Though I think the thread has convinced me to choose between these 2 and not the 19xx line.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Just to tie this up: I ended up going with a Denon 2113 from ABT electronics. The decision started as a choice between the 1912 and 1913, then quickly expanded to the 2112, 2113, 2312, and 2313. I quickly removed the 23xx models because of price (the 2312 model was still in the 700 dollar range, but I really wanted the dual HDMI out...). The 1912/13 and 2112/13 were closer in price, on amazon 450, 530, 500, 650 respectively, but I knew ABT would honor I recent sale of the 2113 for 550. Once you pointed out that stepping up to the 21xx would yield the better Audyssey version I felt comfortable eliminating the 19xx models. Then I tried to figure out the differences between the 2 years' models. The ability to separately play AirPlay to Zone2 (without "hijacking Zone1) seems like an important "fix", but not something I'm overly concerned with (since I have a PC hooked up to the Denon) and I feel similarly about the addition of a native Spotify. In the end, I noticed that the 2113 had a front HDMI port and the 2112 did not, and decided that this feature (combined with the AirPlay and Spotify) was worth the extra 50 bucks (which ended up being 100 after taxes D'OH!)

Thanks again for all your help!
post #7 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 06:13 PM
585-645-1006

Note that you can simply add a 1:2 HDMI splitter to get the same feature offered on the 2313CI. smile.gif

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=8153&CAWELAID=1329456229&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJ7uuJvahLQCFQeynQod9lAAFw
sethfeinberg likes this.

post #8 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Understood. I really try to avoid as many contraptions between the HDMI lines as possible since I had an 2 year battle with a handshake issue but you are totally right. Its what I will go with if I ever need it.

@jdsmoothie thanks so much for your help. I got the receiver yesterday and I'm considering setting it up tonight and was wondering something. I asked it in the official thread but do you know what speed the Ethernet (RJ-45) connector is? Gigabit or 100Mbps?
post #9 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM
585-645-1006

As noted in that thread, 100Mbps.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page