Owners Thread Cambridge Audio 651r/751r - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 647 Old 01-04-2014, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Did you encounter any issues streaming 24/192K audio files from your stream magic?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 647 Old 01-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Hello all. I'm new to this thread, new to this forum. I spent the better part of the start of the Christmas break (I'm a teacher and had the long winter break off) reading the Cambridge 751R postings here and finally spent my mortgage money to make the big purchase. Just received the beast yesterday and am still (massively) in the "learning curve" phase, but wanted to thank one and all (and especially Dean-I and Braveheart, above all) for their heroic postings, honesty, candor. The truth will set you free and it's refreshing to hear something  other than advertising hype and genuflection about a (I hope great) product. Anyway, just one rather simple question and one request at this point: The sound is so good (already even in my learning phase and break-in period) that I am thinking of upgrading my BD player as the next step (have an old Sony right now). I was thinking of going all CA and busting the bank a second time by buying the 752BD they list. But the issue in my is that the big "feature" they advertise for the 752BD is the same one they advertise for the 751R, namely that it upscales audio to a higher resolution) and I wonder if I would be misplacing my hard-earned moola by paying for features in the BD player that are already performed by the 751R receiver? In other words, does the CA player add real value to the CA receiver or largely duplicate its benefits? I am a music nut, so the audio is my focus. Has anyone paired the two boxes? Or can anyone tell me about another less expensive BR player that would "play well" with the 751R. Oppo seems a bit out of my price range right now, or that would be on the short list of course.

The second issue, or request really, is could anyone send me the much discussed latest Firmware Update file that doesn't seem to have been applied to my box already? I show an older than current FW 1.51 version now and am having the documented issues with bi-amping my front speakers that have been discussed (thanks again to Dean I and Braveheart!) on this forum. I bought my 751R on the internet and already am getting the runaround and the "we don't supply that" response from the seller about not having access to the current FW update. So if anyone has the FW1.51 and can email it to me at raycarney1(AT)gmail.com I'd be in your debt. And,  unless it's explained it the file itself, a line or two about how to install it would be appreciated. (The 751R has the USB port on the back if it can be done that way, via a stick, if I am luck. Otherwise I have a Mac to do it.)

At any rate thanks to one and all. Cambridge is a great company and as a  music lover I have long been familiar with their amps (very state of the art but not budget-busting), and can't wait to have more time to calibrate this box and hear my BluRay music disks (sorry movie lovers, no offense intended, but I bought this box almost exclusively to play BD concerts and operas on!!), and can't wait to hear my collection with the best sound possible in home theater!! Fingers crossed.

post #453 of 647 Old 01-05-2014, 01:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutSound View Post

Hello all. I'm new to this thread, new to this forum. I spent the better part of the start of the Christmas break (I'm a teacher and had the long winter break off) reading the Cambridge 751R postings here and finally spent my mortgage money to make the big purchase. Just received the beast yesterday and am still (massively) in the "learning curve" phase, but wanted to thank one and all (and especially Dean-I and Braveheart, above all) for their heroic postings, honesty, candor. The truth will set you free and it's refreshing to hear something  other than advertising hype and genuflection about a (I hope great) product. Anyway, just one rather simple question and one request at this point: The sound is so good (already even in my learning phase and break-in period) that I am thinking of upgrading my BD player as the next step (have an old Sony right now). I was thinking of going all CA and busting the bank a second time by buying the 752BD they list. But the issue in my is that the big "feature" they advertise for the 752BD is the same one they advertise for the 751R, namely that it upscales audio to a higher resolution) and I wonder if I would be misplacing my hard-earned moola by paying for features in the BD player that are already performed by the 751R receiver? In other words, does the CA player add real value to the CA receiver or largely duplicate its benefits? I am a music nut, so the audio is my focus. Has anyone paired the two boxes? Or can anyone tell me about another less expensive BR player that would "play well" with the 751R. Oppo seems a bit out of my price range right now, or that would be on the short list of course.

The second issue, or request really, is could anyone send me the much discussed latest Firmware Update file that doesn't seem to have been applied to my box already? I show an older than current FW 1.51 version now and am having the documented issues with bi-amping my front speakers that have been discussed (thanks again to Dean I and Braveheart!) on this forum. I bought my 751R on the internet and already am getting the runaround and the "we don't supply that" response from the seller about not having access to the current FW update. So if anyone has the FW1.51 and can email it to me at raycarney1(AT)gmail.com I'd be in your debt. And,  unless it's explained it the file itself, a line or two about how to install it would be appreciated. (The 751R has the USB port on the back if it can be done that way, via a stick, if I am luck. Otherwise I have a Mac to do it.)

At any rate thanks to one and all. Cambridge is a great company and as a  music lover I have long been familiar with their amps (very state of the art but not budget-busting), and can't wait to have more time to calibrate this box and hear my BluRay music disks (sorry movie lovers, no offense intended, but I bought this box almost exclusively to play BD concerts and operas on!!), and can't wait to hear my collection with the best sound possible in home theater!! Fingers crossed.

I can send you the firmware upgrade that was passed to me by braveheart. It has instructions. You will need a null cable and windows to flash the cambridge. Enjoy this beast because it truly is !!!!
post #454 of 647 Old 01-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Hi, 

Congrats on your new system, I got mine last week and still learning and having great fun with it. I do have a couple of issues with it. The first is with the 2EQ auto-setup which for some reason failed, I keep getting an error on ambient noise and conflicting results (I have an open ticket). The second, I cannot seem to be able run through it 24/192k audio files (a second open ticket). 

The amazing thing is, that although I have those issues, I still love both the SQ and VQ the system has the offer. I am listening mostly to Jazz and blues and the sound stage and sound definition is incredible. I think you would love to experience your concerts through it.

BTW, I cant seem to find the new FW, so I would appreciate it a note if you manage to find it. 

Have fun,

Gil 

post #455 of 647 Old 01-05-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby69 View Post

Hi, 

Congrats on your new system, I got mine last week and still learning and having great fun with it. I do have a couple of issues with it. The first is with the 2EQ auto-setup which for some reason failed, I keep getting an error on ambient noise and conflicting results (I have an open ticket). The second, I cannot seem to be able run through it 24/192k audio files (a second open ticket). 

The amazing thing is, that although I have those issues, I still love both the SQ and VQ the system has the offer. I am listening mostly to Jazz and blues and the sound stage and sound definition is incredible. I think you would love to experience your concerts through it.

BTW, I cant seem to find the new FW, so I would appreciate it a note if you manage to find it. 

Have fun,
Gil 

What's your email and I'll send it to you
post #456 of 647 Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 AM

Hello,

I've recently bought a cambridge audio 752 blu-Ray player and think on complementing it with a 751R receiver. However not sure whether it make a lot of difference in terms of sound and/or picture quality. Would appreciate your advice. Currently I own Sharp 60 Quattron 857, Onkyo Nr-906 receiver, B&W pv1 sub, and a Thiel PowerPoint ceiling speakers.
post #457 of 647 Old 01-06-2014, 03:08 AM

Thank you. 

My email is shulmangil@gmail.com. 

Does it come with release notes?

Gil

post #458 of 647 Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Thank you. 

My email is shulmangil@gmail.com. 

Does it come with release notes?

Gil

Yes it does. I will send it to you now. Enjoy !!!
post #459 of 647 Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Did you encounter any issues streaming 24/192K audio files from your stream magic?

Let me know if you figure this out.  My Mac will only support 24/96K

post #460 of 647 Old 01-06-2014, 12:02 PM

Will do, I am meeting the supplier tomorrow, to check if its a unit malfunction 

post #461 of 647 Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutSound View Post

I was thinking of going all CA and busting the bank a second time by buying the 752BD they list. But the issue in my is that the big "feature" they advertise for the 752BD is the same one they advertise for the 751R, namely that it upscales audio to a higher resolution) and I wonder if I would be misplacing my hard-earned moola by paying for features in the BD player that are already performed by the 751R receiver? In other words, does the CA player add real value to the CA receiver or largely duplicate its benefits? I am a music nut, so the audio is my focus.

If you want a Cambridge Blu Ray you don't have an alternative. Only if you change the receiver to 651R you can save money...
If you want an audiophile BR the Philips BDP9700 can be your device. It has two power supplies, a toroidal transformer for analog audio and TI Burr-Brown DACs . Also the chassis is similar to Cambridge design.
I tested the Philips and was satisfied.
post #462 of 647 Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 AM

To those of you that have successfully updated your firmware, is this an appropriate adapter for connecting my laptop to the 651R?

http://ca.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/USB-to-Null-Modem-RS232-DB9-Serial-Adapter-Cable-DCE-FTDI~ICUSB232FTN

Thanks
post #463 of 647 Old 01-08-2014, 02:51 PM

Liked: 17
The main reason I bought the752BD with my 751R is that I think the 752BD has a better DAC. I run my music into the 752BD via digital and hook to my 751R with the 2 ch. analog outputs. The 751 likes analog inputs better than digital. You dont get that loss of the first half second of music tracks this way. My Sony ES minidisc player is wired through the 752BD digital inputs. The 651BD dont have 2 ch outputs or digital inputs.The 752BD and the 651/751 were absolutely made for each other.
Asterus likes this.
post #464 of 647 Old 01-08-2014, 04:33 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike47 View Post

The main reason I bought the752BD with my 751R is that I think the 752BD has a better DAC. I run my music into the 752BD via digital and hook to my 751R with the 2 ch. analog outputs. The 751 likes analog inputs better than digital. You dont get that loss of the first half second of music tracks this way. My Sony ES minidisc player is wired through the 752BD digital inputs. The 651BD dont have 2 ch outputs or digital inputs.The 752BD and the 651/751 were absolutely made for each other.

That's useful to know, that you don't get the loss of the first half second of music tracks, when using the 2 ch analog outputs, thanks! When I hook up the 7.1 analog outs of my Oppo BDP 105 to the analog inputs of my 751R, I'll see if it fixes that issue for me, too. I suspect it will. I certainly hope so! :) 

Another one bites the dust...
post #465 of 647 Old 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Hi all, 

So I have been playing with my new 751r a lot lately and I thought I will share some observations:

1. Auddysey EQ will not work with any track over 24bit 96Khz, keeping it off (I prefer the sound it offers without the EQ curves) will allow you to listen to tracks over 24/96Khz

2. While setting the system up, I connected my Focal 926 speakers and kept on getting an error, while allowing the auto-setup to take measurements (I like allowing to make the setup and tweak it to my liking). The error mentions that I either have to much ambient noise or the speakers are connected incorrectly. The room was dead quiet and the speakers were connected properly. In cases it did manage to complete the operation it presented a status of disconnected or out of phase. I don't know if this is the case for other speakers, but the problem got solve once I crossed the wires, all the speakers were properly discovers and tuned. Another thing I notices, if the test fails, you will have to reset the system (Push the BD+Analog buttons on the unit) and run the test once again.

3. A brief interlude, I experienced a stupid moment through this entire process. At some point the unit failed to respond to my remote control, at that point I was sure I am loosing my mind and here comes the stupid moment, through all the tests, wiring and re-wiring I moved a little switch in back of the unit that can disable the IR sensor at the front of the system, so take note its there...

4. Truthfully I have two issues with the system, one is the information offers on the OSD (I made peace with it) and the other is annoying to me, the fact that while the unit receives digital data it will play each track, while skipping about half a second of the track. I have communicated with the Cambridge Audio support and the response I got was as follows:

"The input boards of the AV receivers are buffered and this induces the start delay. This is in response to earlier designs that didn't have this buffering and were vulnerable to improperly designed outputs that were connected to it. As such, there is a small start delay which can be bypassed on critical audio functions by using the analogue inputs or USB connection that do not require this buffer"

I am still not clear on why buffered data cannot be presented in its entirety, as even if data is buffered its presentation will still offer the beginning of the track, unless for some reason its more important to have this half a second sync between audio source and the receiver, rather than offer the complete track. 

All and all, I love this system, the SQ and VQ if has to offer is the fundamental reason I chose this system, I am still running it through different sounds and kicking its tires.  

Through this process, I am sure I will collect some more information and will share my observations, I would appreciate any observations from you all. 

Cheers,

Gil   

post #466 of 647 Old 01-09-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterus View Post

That's useful to know, that you don't get the loss of the first half second of music tracks, when using the 2 ch analog outputs, thanks! When I hook up the 7.1 analog outs of my Oppo BDP 105 to the analog inputs of my 751R, I'll see if it fixes that issue for me, too. I suspect it will. I certainly hope so! smile.gif  

Your Oppo 105 should also have separate 2 ch outputs like my 752. I wired the 2 ch out put of the BD player to the CD input of the receiver so it can be kept sepate from the 7.1 movie stuff. I watch movies using the 751r's BD/DVD input and switch to the CD input to listen to music. Its like having a Bluray player and a high end CD player in one.
Asterus likes this.
post #467 of 647 Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 AM

Liked: 15

There is no excuse for Cambridge Audio to release a receiver with a buffer lag on the digital inputs when ALL Japanese receivers have had no issues with this (EVER) and have absolutely no problems whatsoever in playing properly on all of their inputs.

What the heck does "vulnerable to improperly designed outputs that were connected to it" mean anyway?  Sounds like total BS to me.  The future of home theater is the home theater computer, not blu-ray or DVD players.  I'm sorry to say it but the shiny discs are dead.  This means that computer HDMI is going to be the primary method for most people to stream digital audio and video into their receivers.  If Cambridge Audio receivers can't play music from HDMI properly what the heck are they good for?

It could be argued that you could use the USB input when playing computer audio.  Unfortunately, the USB DAC on this receiver only does 2-channel.  It doesn't support multi-channel audio such as DVD-A or SACD rips that I play back over HDMI using Foobar.  These will still be vulnerable to the lag issue.  In addition, the DAC in the 751R does not support 24-176.  How do you play those files?

Sure, you could buy an Exasound e28 8-channel DAC for $3300 and stream 7.1 analog to the 7.1 analog inputs.  Does Cambridge Audio expect their customers to spend $3300 for an external DAC to fix a problem created by their sleepy engineers?

The reason any of us would ever spend $2699 for a receiver is for top-quality music playback.  Movies are comparatively easy.  From this perspective all audio playback is a "critical audio function".  Cambridge Audio should have designed their HDMI input for proper "critical audio" playback.  No excuses.

End of sermon.

post #468 of 647 Old 01-10-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmd View Post

There is no excuse for Cambridge Audio to release a receiver with a buffer lag on the digital inputs when ALL Japanese receivers have had no issues with this (EVER) and have absolutely no problems whatsoever in playing properly on all of their inputs.

What the heck does "vulnerable to improperly designed outputs that were connected to it" mean anyway?  Sounds like total BS to me.  The future of home theater is the home theater computer, not blu-ray or DVD players.  I'm sorry to say it but the shiny discs are dead.  This means that computer HDMI is going to be the primary method for most people to stream digital audio and video into their receivers.  If Cambridge Audio receivers can't play music from HDMI properly what the heck are they good for?

It could be argued that you could use the USB input when playing computer audio.  Unfortunately, the USB DAC on this receiver only does 2-channel.  It doesn't support multi-channel audio such as DVD-A or SACD rips that I play back over HDMI using Foobar.  These will still be vulnerable to the lag issue.  In addition, the DAC in the 751R does not support 24-176.  How do you play those files?

Sure, you could buy an Exasound e28 8-channel DAC for $3300 and stream 7.1 analog to the 7.1 analog inputs.  Does Cambridge Audio expect their customers to spend $3300 for an external DAC to fix a problem created by their sleepy engineers?

The reason any of us would ever spend $2699 for a receiver is for top-quality music playback.  Movies are comparatively easy.  From this perspective all audio playback is a "critical audio function".  Cambridge Audio should have designed their HDMI input for proper "critical audio" playback.  No excuses.

End of sermon.

You are absolutly right. My hope is that CA will come out with a firmware upgrade that fixes that and a few other issues.
post #469 of 647 Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM

It might be a bit ironic, but CA are lost for words as I am yet to get a response from them on my last correspondence. I keep hoping CA will issue a firmware upgrade fixing both the delay and offer some more information on the OSD. 

I not sure they changed their frame of mind from stereo only amplification. Their expectation to solve the issue by offering an analog audio for the unit is ridiculous, especially when they design a unit with what supposed to be great DACs. maybe they failed to get to the end of the thought process....its just weird    

Gil  

post #470 of 647 Old 01-11-2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:

It might be a bit ironic, but CA are lost for words as I am yet to get a response from them on my last correspondence. I keep hoping CA will issue a firmware upgrade fixing both the delay and offer some more information on the OSD. 

I not sure they changed their frame of mind from stereo only amplification. Their expectation to solve the issue by offering an analog audio for the unit is ridiculous, especially when they design a unit with what supposed to be great DACs. maybe they failed to get to the end of the thought process....its just weird    

Gil  

Alot of us here have got the "runaround" from CA. I feel like they dont really care if your satisfied or not. A few small changes could turn a great receiver into a superstar!
post #471 of 647 Old 01-12-2014, 05:41 AM

Hi All,

Would it be possible to send the firmware & release notes to me as well? I would like to evaulate what has changed.

I have also ordered mine over the net, and I just would like to evaluate if an upgrade would bring me anything additional

My Email address is yellownewbeetle at me.com

Thanks!
post #472 of 647 Old 01-12-2014, 03:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmd View Post

Before buying my AVR 651 and 752BD I've tested two Harman Kardon, AVR 365 and AVR 370 with a HK Blu Ray and they have them same time lag if using digital connections ...
post #473 of 647 Old 01-12-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd11be View Post

Hi All,

Would it be possible to send the firmware & release notes to me as well? I would like to evaulate what has changed.

I have also ordered mine over the net, and I just would like to evaluate if an upgrade would bring me anything additional

My Email address is yellownewbeetle at me.com

Thanks!

I have sent it to you enjoy !!!

post #474 of 647 Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 AM

Thanks, received ! will see if I upgrade or not. Not sure if it is required at this stage.smile.gif
post #475 of 647 Old 01-13-2014, 10:09 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike47 View Post

Your Oppo 105 should also have separate 2 ch outputs like my 752. I wired the 2 ch out put of the BD player to the CD input of the receiver so it can be kept sepate from the 7.1 movie stuff. I watch movies using the 751r's BD/DVD input and switch to the CD input to listen to music. Its like having a Bluray player and a high end CD player in one.

Yep, it does. I never considered doing it that way (was imagining I'd be able to do it all - 7.1; 5.1; 5.0; 2.1; 2.0 - from the 7.1 analog outs of the Oppo 105 to the analog in's of the 751R) and now that you have mentioned it I think I will do it that way, too, that is, the way you have described. Seeing as you have done it successfully, I'm a lot more confident that I will be able to set up my 751R to do the same. I just need to configure my Oppo to be able to distinguish between 2ch CD stuff from multi-channel stuff (Blu-rays, SACDs) so that it is fed to the 751R correctly. I'm currently reading through all the posts in the Oppo 105 thread at the moment for that purpose. Hopefully there will be something there that will state clearly how it is done. But I don't think I'll have a problem.

Thanks again mike47.

Another one bites the dust...
post #476 of 647 Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 PM

Hi Guys,

May I know if 651/751supports CEC with all of the HDMI? The user manual says NO, but cambridge audio website FAQ says YES

http://support.cambridgeaudio.com/faqs/view?QuestionID=388

Also, when switching between HDMI, does it take long?

Thanks you guys so much!   

post #477 of 647 Old 01-15-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

Emailed the files. Keep one thing in mind.

There is a minor mistake in the procedure. It says in point # 3 to rotate the master volume to select "You can update Main Firmware" when the “Main Board Confirm?" option appears. In fact, you need to press "Analog Stereo Direct" button to get to the update option. In fact there is only one option.

If you rotate the dial, you won't find "You can update Main Firmware".

Happy updating wink.gif

Got myself 751r a week ago, and very happy. I had 640r some years back, have been waiting for a worth upgrade and now my wish come true. Thank you all for very informative feedbacks and discussions here.

Hi braveheart, appreciate if you could send me the firmware. I've just pm you my email. Thanks in advance.

post #478 of 647 Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 PM

I was so nearly sold on getting a cambridge unit if it wasn't for the digital audio cutoff error, this is a huge deal breaker. The new arcam 750/450 also suffered from this exact problem but as it seems unlike ca the arcam engineers recognized it as a fault and have since corrected it with a firmware upgrade. With the correspondence I've seen in this thread with ca support I'm not holding my breath that it will get resolved anytime soon and I am now leaning back to spending the extra money for what seems to be a more polished product with the same goal of sq first in a new arcam.
post #479 of 647 Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 PM

Hi All

I am a recent new owner of a 651R over xmas :-) loving the sound and well .. yes .. well prepared for the poor user interface from a CA product

I was surprised though by the dropouts when syncing via HDMI - I could really do with fixing that - I want to use xbmc to feed it music but the drop between each track is too much

it currently has firmware version 1.51/1.45/1.09

is there a later one that fixes this problem? - or  maybe even some config that I missed (not that there is a lot to config :-)

thanks

Jason

post #480 of 647 Old 01-21-2014, 11:03 AM

Hello Jaz000,

I also play music via HDMI from my HTPC and also use XBMC for it. I hardly experience dropouts ?!? I play mostly FLAC files/albums. I only experience a glitch at the beginning and when I pauze and resume the playback. My HTPC is equiped with an AMD 5570 HD Graphics card. What kind of setup are you using?

Regards,

Menno.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 651r Home Cinema Receiver , Cambridge Audio Ltd , Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751r Black
Gear in this thread - 751r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page