Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 635 Old 02-28-2014, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFouad View Post

it is my last resort before sending back the AVR to my dealer (I really want to keep the AVR, enjoy the great power and hi fi sound from all channels and save the trouble of having to deal with the dealer...I dont even know what would be his reaction...)

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. He or she could be puzzled, could say not the units fault, or whatever. It will be a test on their after sales service. :)

Here in New Zealand we have pretty good consumer legislation in the form of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993. Not sure what consumer protection laws you have where you bought the 751R AVR. But if here in New Zealand if you bought the AVR primarily for personal, domestic, or household use, and it was represented to you that there would be no issues connecting up your PS3 to the unit and enjoying it as per how you have described to the dealer how you will be wanting it to perform, and the dealer was aware of your requirements in this regard and sold the unit to you with that understanding, and you purchased the unit based on his or her professional advice, and then the AVR didn't deliver as represented, then one would be full within their rights to return the goods for a full refund. Of course there are other considerations but that's the gist of it here in NZ. Do you have similar laws there? Of course this legal stuff might just be a "storm in a tea-cup" and will never eventuate to that degree.

Mind you, if the dealer is worth his or her salt then they should have no problem assisting you with the issue, and if necessary providing a full refund, particularly if they have a demo model in store where you can demonstrate the issue by connecting your PS3 to it and showing what the problem is. If it works fine on their demo AVR, then it would appear to be an issue with your unit. Simple affair - just get a replacement. The dealer would most likely send the faulty one away and hopefully it lands back at Cambridge Audio.

But if the problems are duplicated with the demo unit (assuming that they do have a demo unit, and/or are prepared to open up a new one to try out etc) then there is likely an incompatibility or some sort of design limitation between the PS3 and the 751R. That's sort of how I see it. It would be a great pity, because the audio from this beast is remarkable.

So yeah, I would seek the dealer's help as soon as possible - let them know sooner rather than later that you have those issues with using the PS3 connected to the 751R, particularly as you didn't have those issues with your previous AVR.

Another one bites the dust...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 635 Old 02-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterus View Post

Got a question on the azur 751R. This machine gets hot. But I have never seen the fan come on. Has anyone noticed if their 751R's fan ever comes on? I looked for a setting to see if this could be set but couldn't find one - didn't really expect to find one. I guess it is just hard wired probably with a thermostat or something.

One time after a lengthy session when it got really hot I reached over to the back and tried to feel if I could detect airflow from the rear fan but couldn't feel anything nor could I hear it. So I got wondering if others have noticed if the fan on their machines have ever come on.

I'll try and get a thermometer of sorts and measure the heat so that we know what sort of temperature we're talking about.

Well, I haven't got around to measuring the temperature yet. One day...maybe...

I asked Cambridge Audio about this but didn't place their response here until now as I thought I'd wait a bit and see if anyone else would comment on this matter. Would have been interesting to compare notes, as it were.

Anyways, in essence what I asked Cambridge Audio was at what temperature the fan comes on, and is that setting adjustable? I advised them that I did have the 751R placed in a suitable location with good ventilation all around it. This was their reply:

Dear Sir, thanks for your inquiry.
The 751R relies on convection wherever possible and the fan will only kick in under extreme circumstances. The amp has a thermal cut-out and will protect itself if the temperature is too high.
Regards
(person's name)

I wonder what constitutes "extreme circumstances"? Melting solder? What temperature does solder melt at? And what temperature is "too high"? I guess they don't want to commit themselves to any stated figure. I would have been happy with a general figure or some sort of range of figures. Sigh. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I guess that the unit is allowed to get pretty hot, but I've always understood that high heat is generally detrimental to electronic components. Just hope that the design team got their sums right, and that the manufacturers followed those designs implicitly. I guess I don't have any reason at this stage to doubt any of that.

But if any of the readers of this 651R/751R forum can perhaps make a passing comment on whether or not they have ever heard their fan come on, or detected it on, and if you have felt the top of the 751R's top metal cover and can describe the sort of heat there after you have had a decent playing session time-wise, then that would be appreciated.

post #543 of 635 Old 02-28-2014, 03:52 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterus View Post

But if any of the readers of this 651R/751R forum can perhaps make a passing comment on whether or not they have ever heard their fan come on, or detected it on, and if you have felt the top of the 751R's top metal cover and can describe the sort of heat there after you have had a decent playing session time-wise, then that would be appreciated.

I have the opposit problem, the fan of my 751r is always on and emits an unpleasant (but weak) noise. even if the AVR is not that hot on the surface (only on top and around the tunnel cooling part).

My AVR is put inside a cabinet with not a lot of air and space around the AVR. if the fan enters air onto the unit and the top of the AVR the air goes out then I got a problem of cooling properly my unit (the cabinet is enclosed on the top, only 15 CM free space left on top of the AVR and 7 CM right and left)

or maybe is it the dust ? or maybe the fan should be replaced ?

When I return my unit because of my PCM multichannel problem I will ask them to check the fan. Everyone says the 751r is very silent and has a very quiet fan. I was surprised when I ran my unit....definitely I didnt get lucky with my 751r unit lol

by the way the dealer told me not to upgrade myself the firmware, I respected his opinion, he called a cambridge audio technician in front of me and the technician promised will respond this week...wait and see...

Edit :

I watched caught in the act michael buble concert blu ray in DTS HD (BTW one of the best concerts I listened to sound wise and I own a lot of concerts) and I remembered why i bought this AVR in the first place (replacing my marantz sr 7005, the sound stage is incredible, the AVR controls all 7 speakers with authority, the bass is firm and powerful, and medium-treble so musically pleasant to hear, it was such a nice experience. It is really like having a HI FI system but in 7.1 instead of 2.0

post #544 of 635 Old 03-01-2014, 10:08 AM

Liked: 10
My 651R runs relatively cool. There is plenty of clearance around the sides and top. The top cover is warm to the touch under heavy use, but I would not consider it to be "hot" for an AVR. I have never heard the fan come on. The Onkyo AVR that I replaced with the 651R ran extremely hot, even when I was not pushing the amps.

I will try to place a thermometer near the unit and report back on temperatures on top and behind the unit.
post #545 of 635 Old 03-01-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:

I have the opposit problem, the fan of my 751r is always on and emits an unpleasant (but weak) noise. even if the AVR is not that hot on the surface (only on top and around the tunnel cooling part).

My AVR is put inside a cabinet with not a lot of air and space around the AVR. if the fan enters air onto the unit and the top of the AVR the air goes out then I got a problem of cooling properly my unit (the cabinet is enclosed on the top, only 15 CM free space left on top of the AVR and 7 CM right and left)

or maybe is it the dust ? or maybe the fan should be replaced ?

When I return my unit because of my PCM multichannel problem I will ask them to check the fan. Everyone says the 751r is very silent and has a very quiet fan. I was surprised when I ran my unit....definitely I didnt get lucky with my 751r unit lol

Thanks for you comments regarding the fan. Will be good if that noise gets sorted too. Mine isn't noisy, it just has never come on. When it does come on, if it ever does, I hope it will be quiet.

Quote:

by the way the dealer told me not to upgrade myself the firmware, I respected his opinion, he called a cambridge audio technician in front of me and the technician promised will respond this week...wait and see...

That's great news!!! I look forward to hearing what the tech does or discovers. I'm sure you will let us know! :)

Quote:

Edit :

I watched caught in the act michael buble concert blu ray in DTS HD (BTW one of the best concerts I listened to sound wise and I own a lot of concerts) and I remembered why i bought this AVR in the first place (replacing my marantz sr 7005, the sound stage is incredible, the AVR controls all 7 speakers with authority, the bass is firm and powerful, and medium-treble so musically pleasant to hear, it was such a nice experience. It is really like having a HI FI system but in 7.1 instead of 2.0

Thanks for sharing that with us. I only have a handful of music Blu-rays. I'll see if I can pick up a copy of that Michael Buble concert. He isn't my favourite artist, but if it is as good as you say (and I did have a quick look at some reviews - appears to be good) then it will be great to see how it sounds on my home theater with the 751R. :)

post #546 of 635 Old 03-01-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccin View Post

My 651R runs relatively cool. There is plenty of clearance around the sides and top. The top cover is warm to the touch under heavy use, but I would not consider it to be "hot" for an AVR. I have never heard the fan come on. The Onkyo AVR that I replaced with the 651R ran extremely hot, even when I was not pushing the amps.

I will try to place a thermometer near the unit and report back on temperatures on top and behind the unit.

Thanks Maccin. Yeah I have good clearance as well around my 751R. But actually having a measured temperature will be better as then I will have a reference with which to measure mine against when I eventually get around to shoving a thermometer up my 751R's behind. ;) 

post #547 of 635 Old 03-02-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Note the PS3 will only bitstream when you play BluRay disks.
If you use the PS3 as a mediaplayer for processing of networked media
then the PS3 audio will be output as LPCM.
post #548 of 635 Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 AM

Hello all,

I bought a 651R back in January and have, for the most part been very pleased with it.

I upgraded from a 351R, which just didn’t have the grunt to power my new speakers (I had intended to buy ones requiring less power) and though I know that CA are quirky to say the least, I am a huge fan of their sound and build (from a physical appearance point of view) quality.

Having trawled through this thread, I would first like to answer some posts that I can relate to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marooned66 View Post

Has anyone met such a thing with 751R that after putting it to standby it hangs and is not responding on remote control unit and on face Power on button?
Only main power switch at the back of the device reboots the machine.
Service center tested it for more than a week and could not repeat this hanging. Seems i have some interference around 751R that drive his brains mad.

My 351R did the same thing and still does while the 651R does not do it. I suspect it is a flaw with the switch in a few machines and is neither limited to a user’s set-up nor one particular product range. Did you ever get it repaired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike911 View Post

Anyone here with experience with a 351r? I just couldn't resist getting one for my bedroom, the slim profile is perfect. I am hoping as it is a newer model it does not have the issues its bigger brothers have.

The loss of the first second or two of each track is evident with the 351R as well but the sub problem never showed up. The receiver gets better after a few months of use. The remote is very cheap and dull but I didn’t buy the receiver to stare listlessly at the remote; it does its job and I don’t require any more from it. I still have my 351R set-up with other components and I find it is more reliable for plugging a laptop into than the 651R while it also doesn’t seem to lose sound lock mid TV show which the 651R does a lot. It’s not a cheap receiver here in mainland Europe but you get good quality sound and it looks great.

Braveheart's sub problems:

Like Braveheart, I too have a problem with the sub output and have raised the problem with CA who have responded (effectively to register the issue) but have not yet given me a fix of any sort. I have tried every sort of configuration of the sub output but to no avail. I also have a friend who has the same receiver but a different sub and he too is experiencing the same rather off-putting problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccin View Post

My receiver sits atop a TV unit with nothing above and not much to either side of it. Only the back right top part gets hot and this doesn’t get all that hot considering that it’s on for almost the whole day. It is very rarely driven hard as I have neighbours close by but I have yet to hear the fan run. Looking at the heat sink on it though, I’m not surprised that the fan doesn’t need to run that frequently.

My system and experiences:

The receiver is running the latest version firmware and is coupled, in my case, to a 751BD which is either streaming lossless music or playing Blu-Ray/DVD movies. Otherwise; I have it connected to a Skybox, where I notice at the start of adverts and even long pauses in dialogue that I lose sound; a laptop, from which it can’t seem to process the video all the time; a Wii, I don’t use it much but it works fine; and the ARC to/from the TV, never used to receive signal so I can’t comment on this one.

As outputs I currently only have a 3.1 system and not even all of that is destined to remain connect to the 651R. Currently I have a Wharfedale SPC-12 (the weakest link) along with a Jade C1 and a pair of Jade 7 Wharfedales. I would hope to relocate the sub to the second room with the 351R and buy something better but I am loathe to do this until/unless the sub issue is resolved as I really don’t want to risk messing up a good sub.

In the second room, as an aside, I have the 351R linked up to a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.2’s and an old pair of really cheap Sony stereo speakers as rears. I would hope to add a little centre to that set-up along with the SPC-12.

As you can see I have pretty much stuck with two brands throughout. This is a result of buying the more expensive components as a result of positive first-hand experience with the lower quality components and relocating the lower quality components to the second room over time.

I hope someone can find this info helpful.

post #549 of 635 Old 03-03-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 155

Hi everyone!

I am a Cambridge "newbie"...

I am looking at Cambridge - after having owned Harman Kardon, Pioneer Elite, etc...

I am told that Cambridge (and NAD) is the AVR for me - if I like the "warm" Harman Kardon sound... is this true?

I am also looking for a company that has great customer service...

I am presently looking at the Azur 751R with the matching Azur 752BD blu-ray player.

Any input regarding Cambridge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

post #550 of 635 Old 03-04-2014, 01:56 AM

Hi HDTVAV,

Best advice I can provide is to strongly recommend you read this entire thread before making a decision. Also, read several reviews of the 751R - there are several around if you search for them on the internet. It is a lot of "work" but I believe it will benefit you in the long run to aiding you make your decision one way or another.

I read this entire thread before purchasing my 751R. It had around 15 pages at that time or thereabouts. I knew what it was I was after - sound quality was formost and this receiver was within my budget. I actually bought mine on 30 December 2013. And in an unbelievable stroke of good fortune, unbeknownst to me the dealership had a massive sale on that was on for that week only and was due to expire on the 31st - saved just over NZ$1000 and that basically sealed the deal for me. Why? I was considering the NAD T787 and that was going to cost NZ$500 more than the normal retail price of the Cambridge Audio 751R. So with the special deal that the Cambridge Audio dealership had I basically bought my receiver there and then. Done deal.

But as mentioned earlier, I had read this thread on the 751R AVR which was one of a few shortlisted AVRs to replace my previous Pioneer VSX-1021-K which was my first ever AVR. I read about the alleged pitfalls of what several posters here made regarding the 751R. I discussed some of these with the dealership. They showed my how they had setup their machine which was similar to how some here had stated how they had set theirs up. And basically I was sold.

I replicated the setup at home and everything went whitout a hitch. Took some reading and re-reading to make sure I understood how the interconnections were to be made so that it did what I was hoping it could do. And in the end it worked out.

But yes, definitely read through this forum first. Read through the pertinent points in other forums where the subject deviates from the 751R but is associated with it such as the room correction abilities and Audyssey 2EQ which comes with the 751R, and the bass management setup that some have stated they have had issues with.

All this means is that this AVR is probably not for the faint of heart. But if you are one of the fortunate ones you will be well rewarded with exceptional sound quality especially if you have a good room environment or can make the room environment as good as you can. (the room environment being another major factor to all this sound quality business, and there are countless threads and proponents on that subject, too)

So I hope the above helps point you in the right direction. And don't dismiss the NAD AVR you were possibly considering also. Not sure which model it was but that might be the one for you, notwithstanding that it may have its own idiosyncrasies and foibles to ruin one's day! :-)

post #551 of 635 Old 03-06-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Hi everyone!

I am a Cambridge "newbie"...

I am looking at Cambridge - after having owned Harman Kardon, Pioneer Elite, etc...

I am told that Cambridge (and NAD) is the AVR for me - if I like the "warm" Harman Kardon sound... is this true?

I am also looking for a company that has great customer service...

I am presently looking at the Azur 751R with the matching Azur 752BD blu-ray player.

Any input regarding Cambridge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I also suggest reading the whole thread before making a decision. Consider how you plan on using it. Like I said before, none of the flaws affect me. I only listen to music through analog, so the track blip dont occur. I use large speakers, so the bass managment (or lack of) dont affect me either. My subs (2) work fine. HDMI works great. But I only use it in two channel mode,(5.1 is hooked up but I dont use it often.). I really hope that CA comes through with a good fw update to fix the short comings though. I would consider selling mine to buy a 2ch stereo pre/amp, but I wouldnt mind keeping it either. Mike D.
post #552 of 635 Old 03-10-2014, 07:36 AM

Hi everyone,

I’m a new owner of a CA 751r and like most of you in this post my decision to purchase this equipment was based mostly on its incredible SQ capabilities.

I was not unaware of its shortcomings (I had read this entire post prior to purchasing it) but thought I could deal with missing a fraction of a second at the beginning of every song track, its complete inability to manage bass and the fact that its RC is little less than useless.

So I brought it home, set it up via HDMI to my OPPO 93 and enjoyed its great stereo sound.

Finally, I was able to test it on a 5.1 environment and that is when my issue begun. For some reason, when playing blue-ray discs, my avr seems to only be able to process DTS regardless of the audio format I select. I have checked that the audio output from the OPPO is bitstream, tried different HDMI configurations in the avr, changed cables, reset the unit… and the results are always the same. I also connected my old Pioneer back just to confirm that the problem wasn’t coming from the source.

So at this point I have no idea whether I own a faulty avr or if I’m just completely missing some sort of option hidden deep in the menu. Needless to say that CA customer support has shun little light on this issue.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thank you

post #553 of 635 Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFS View Post

Hi everyone,

I’m a new owner of a CA 751r and like most of you in this post my decision to purchase this equipment was based mostly on its incredible SQ capabilities.

I was not unaware of its shortcomings (I had read this entire post prior to purchasing it) but thought I could deal with missing a fraction of a second at the beginning of every song track, its complete inability to manage bass and the fact that its RC is little less than useless.

So I brought it home, set it up via HDMI to my OPPO 93 and enjoyed its great stereo sound.

Finally, I was able to test it on a 5.1 environment and that is when my issue begun. For some reason, when playing blue-ray discs, my avr seems to only be able to process DTS regardless of the audio format I select. I have checked that the audio output from the OPPO is bitstream, tried different HDMI configurations in the avr, changed cables, reset the unit… and the results are always the same. I also connected my old Pioneer back just to confirm that the problem wasn’t coming from the source.

So at this point I have no idea whether I own a faulty avr or if I’m just completely missing some sort of option hidden deep in the menu. Needless to say that CA customer support has shun little light on this issue.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thank you

Not sure what is your problem exactly, but make sure the input select on the receiver is showing HDMI not digital or analog. This is a button on the front of the receiver and you can read the input on the receiver's display HDMI, Digital , or Analog. It should be set to HDMI for Bluray movies.
post #554 of 635 Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Thank you mike47 for your reply.

I checked the input on the receiver and it showed HDMI although I just figured out what my problem was; The player HDMI output resolution was below 720p therefore there was not enough bandwidth for all high sample rate audio channels.

Still, I appreciate you trying to help me.

post #555 of 635 Old 03-13-2014, 06:40 PM

Liked: 11

Hello everyone!

I've been a long-time AVSForum reader but only just decided to join. I have been following this thread's development over the past couple of months and have finally splurged for Azur 751R, which is going to be replacing my Rotel RA-1520. I got a great deal for it - getting 751R and 752BD for AUD$2600. I plan to sell 752BD as-is on eBay as I already have a 751BD.

I am unsure what firmware it is going to be shipped with, but I will keep you guys posted on what it is. I'm planning to initially use it to power a 2.1 speaker system with Epos Epic 5 floorstanders and SVS SB13-Plus subwoofer. Primarily application is music listening, occasional movies. Main reason I got this amp is due to its reputation, reviews and musical qualities. I know this amplifier is an overkill for my current requirements, but I do intend my system to full 5.1 in the near future.

I hope that I'm the lucky few that doesn't encounter too many problems with setting up and various firmware bugs. But I will keep you guys posted in any case!

Cheers!

Side question: Is the Anchor Bay scaler better on 751R or the Qdeo one on 751BD?

post #556 of 635 Old 03-14-2014, 02:37 PM

Hi Idiosyncrasies,

I've switched between the two scalers and my preference would be the Anchor Bay but that's just me.

Best of luck with the purchase and set up.

post #557 of 635 Old 03-14-2014, 04:14 PM

Thanks Winggus.

I have some initial impressions for those considering purchasing this amp. Please note that my biggest application of this amp is for music - not home theatre.

Having just upgraded from a Rotel RA-1520 stereo amp, I initially found the sound of this amp thin and not as forward. Thankfully that resolved over just an hour of use. While it has still not as forward as the Rotel amp yet, it far more resolving in terms of timbre. This is definitely the more musical amp.

I think the onboard DAC on 751R is garbage so far. I have it working using WASAPI in USB1 mode (USB2 drivers installed but no sound comes through the speakers). Maybe it needs to be run-in as well, but the difference between it and my MAudio MDac is night and day despite using analog direct with the latter.

I have also not set up Audessey and 2EQ yet. I manually level matched the speakers and subs with a SPL meter. I am most likely going to skip it because I am happy with the results so far. Some people mentioned having issues with subwoofer, can anyone be a bit more specific?

Of course the OSD is pedestrian. So far I haven't had to fight too much with the amp yet. It's possible because my requirements are slightly different to the others yet given my preference for music.

Also is bi-amping worth it? It's no trouble for me because I have spare speaker wire.

Movie impressions will be coming a bit later. :)

post #558 of 635 Old 03-17-2014, 02:37 AM

Hi idosyncrasies,

I bi-amped mostly because, like you, I had the wire and didn't have the speakers to set-up a 7.1 system. I can't complain with the results and as I'll probably not go down the road of 7.1, I'll probably keep bi-amping.

As for the bass issue, Braveheart sums it up best on page 17, post 484. I have/had the problem too but it has not reared its head in a while and I can't repeat it with any degree of success. Perhaps it fixed itself but I doubt it.

I agree that the OSD is pedestrian but as long as I can use it I'm happy. Out of curiosity, how does the DAC set-up on the 751R compare to the one on the 751BD?

post #559 of 635 Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 AM

Winggus - thanks for your response.

I've biamped my speakers too now however it's tough to tell if there has been a change.

As far as comparing 751BD's DAC to 751R's DAC is concerned - it's pretty simple! Use the dedicated stereo analog outputs of 751/752BD and connect it to 751's BD-DVD analog in. Have 751/752BD's HDMI audio set to Bitstream. Now you can play music on your player and seamlessly switch back and forth between analog and HDMI inputs using the "Audio In Type" button on your 751R's remote. Since all 751R's digital signals go through its DAC, you can pretty much do an A/B comparison between the two DACs on the spot.

The 751/752BD's Wolfson DAC is darker sounding and meatier especially in the bass department. It may simply be the case that my 751R's DAC needs to be broken in - but it consistently sounds flatter and less exciting than my MDac and 751BD's analog out. I just can't find much to like about 751R's DAC yet. However, I've noticed that when ADC-DAC conversations are done (say for Stereo+SW mode), the original sound signature of my MDac is mostly retained. Sadly, we all need to go through the DAC at some point in the signal chain for the .1 low-frequency crossover.

I haven't encountered the subwoofer volume issues while Dynamic EQ is engaged yet. I do realise that sometimes the 751R's OS bugs out and simply needs to be kicked in the rear by a quick off/on. But this is only during specific commands and can be repeatable.

So far so good. :)

Edit: I just reread your older posts and didn't realise you had a 651R which has a different DAC. Apologies for the useless first paragraph.

Winggus likes this.
post #560 of 635 Old 03-17-2014, 04:34 PM

Hi idosyncrasies,

Thanks very much for your rely. The 651 has no DAC that I know of and I was just curious to know if I was missing out on anything. I would have thought that the 751BD and R would have sounded similar so I'm surprised that you have noticed such a difference. My 651 doesn't crash but the BD does and fairly frequently too.

I must say that I have had sub issues with both DEQ on and off but, as I said before, mine seem to have resolved themselves for the most part, for now. At the moment I can tell you that all of my sub levels in the OSD are set at 0 (for what little difference it seems to make) and my Audyssey Setup is as follows:
Audyssey 2EQ: Off

Dynamic EQ: On

Dynamic Vol. Light

Dyn. EQ. Offset: 0db

One of the main contributors to this page PM´d me today to state that he had been in touch with CA on the subject of bass management. He raised the following concern with them:

"I mentioned to (guy who seems to run inquiries) that for a number of months people have been talking about bass Mgmt issues. That I personally find BM to often be surprisingly ineffective. Like you can change settings DRAMATICALLY and it literally does NOTHING, including when using digital based audio, not just analog."

He got this by way of reply:
"I believe that some further work is being undertaken and I've asked for an update."

If this will result in a fix or if its a simple fob-off I suppose only time will tell but I hope for your sake and the sake of all the other happy users that the sub issues don't rear their ugly head.

post #561 of 635 Old 03-17-2014, 06:21 PM

I wouldn't say my 751R crashes, it just bugs out - for example, when I switch to Aux analog input on occasions it displays 'TV-ARC' on the OSD for some reason. Just little things so far.

My theory is that 751R's 24-bit DAC is engaged via the USB input only. This DAC is best avoided based on my impressions thus far. I have been unable to get USB2 mode working yet.

Secondly, the upsampling is handled by the DSPs which means that whenever the audio enters the digital domain (e.g. when engaging the subwoofer crossovers) it will automatically be upsampled. This is good. Of course you can bypass it by going Analog Direct.

Your 651R does have internal DAC despite not having a USB in. In order to use your internal DAC, you simply need to feed your receiver some digital signal such as coax, optical or HDMI. To be honest, with your 651R you are only missing out on the upsampling and additional wattage. I think upsampling could be useful to interpolate and increase granularity of the signal before processing is applied (such as subwoofer crossover) and then passed on to the speakers. But I doubt it is day and night difference.

That's my theory anyway. Feel free to correct me.

My settings are the same as yours except I don't have Dynamic Volume enabled. I found that Dynamic Volume meddles with the dynamic range of my FLACs a bit too much. However, I do like to turn it on when watching cable TV. It's too bad that the remote doesn't have a quick and easy way of engaging it off and on.

I will be calibrating my subwoofer this weekend with some REW sweeps this weekend, so I will get a good feel for how my receiver is handling and responding to subwoofer settings. Hopefully it behaves. Right now I have a bit of bloom and room gain. I will keep everyone posted.

By the way, when you first got your 651R did you find that it was a bit too polite sounding? That's what I feel right now with my receiver. I am just thinking it needs to be run-in a bit more.

Cheers.

post #562 of 635 Old 03-18-2014, 04:48 AM

(spoke too soon - still doing more tests!) :)

post #563 of 635 Old 03-18-2014, 05:28 AM

post #564 of 635 Old 03-18-2014, 06:09 AM

With the Aux and TV-ARC issue. The next time it shows TV-ARC press the button again, I think the same button works for Aux and TV-ARC; at least I seem to recall that it did the one time I used ARC.

Please do let me know how the sub set-up works out, I'd be quite interested in the results.

I agree that the Dyn. Vol. does mess with the range and sometimes quite a bit but, like you pointed out, there is no really quick and easy way to turn it off and on as required. Owing to the fact that I have adjoining neighbours, different source devices have different volume levels (e.g. -55 for the BD is not the same as -55 for the Tuner) and some of my music tracks are barely audible at the start, I find that having a relatively uniform volume level is more of a pro in real life than a con.I agree though that in an ideal world I'd also turn it off.

Yes, the 651, like the 351 I had before, sounded relatively disappointing out of the box and I probably would not have sprung for the 651 only for the fact that the 351 really woke up after a few months. The 651 is now waking up and loosening out a lot and sounds really great.

Between the 651 and the 751, if I'm not mistaken, there are only a few differences:

i) Power (obviously both in and out)

ii) USB connections

iii) The audio upsampler (which I was erroneously referring to as a DAC and you've commented on above anyway - sorry for the confusion and no; I don't feel any need to correct you :))

post #565 of 635 Old 03-19-2014, 06:17 AM

You know we all like to talk about the flaws and the problems that we encounter with our receivers but rarely to we talk about what we like about it. Just out of curiosity, how satisfied are yall with your 651/751 receivers? Scale it from 1 to 10, 10 being totally satisfied.
post #566 of 635 Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 AM

651R, owned since Jan 04 2014.

8.5/10 - One or two stupid bits, but overall great SQ, VQ and looks great.

How about you?

post #567 of 635 Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
751r / 752bd

Owned since Feb 2014

Upgraded from a PS3 / Onkyo708

For the money spent I do not think I would find an equivalent uplift in PQ and SQ
And the packaging of 7 high end amplifiers into a compact unit with unique cooling is exceptional
Also given the high end nature of this device I doubt whether anyone would be using the Svideo and the bulk of the analogue inputs
90% of users would only require support for HDMI, 7.1 in/out, and a few optical and coax inputs.
I would much rather CA focused on providing superior Audyssey and faster input switching.

Alternatively position the 752bd as a preamp with support for multiple hdmi and some analog inputs including 7.1 from a HTPC
And the 751r as a power amp.

This unit has breathed new life into my sound and video collection.

My score is 9 out of 10 !!!
post #568 of 635 Old 03-19-2014, 12:24 PM

I would give it a 9/10. I really hope that CA comes out with a firmware update to fix the bass management issue. Then it would be 10/10!
post #569 of 635 Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 PM

I am reserving my judgement until I iron out an issue with my subwoofer. I feel that the sound quality is still a bit laid-back and thus the receiver needs more time breaking in.

For some reason, intermittently, the subwoofer (SVS SB13-Plus) crackles briefly at specific frequencies. I know it's not at the lowest frequencies and suspect it's around the crossover frequency (50Hz). I've changed the crossover to 60Hz with no avail. For example, if you try playing Daft Punk's Doing It right (a great track for subwoofer testing), it crackles intermittently during one of those big bass breaks.

I was using low-pass filter with my Rotel RA-1520 (via pre-outs) and never noticed this. So when subwoofer's low pass filter is activated in conjunction with 751R's own crossover - this doesn't happen either.

Next thing I could do is use subwoofer's own high-pass filter (a SQ compromising method) and see if the issue rears its head. I really hope that my amp is not faulty! I guess I'm going to be spending most of my Friday night doing REW sweeps to narrow down the issue.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGH!
post #570 of 635 Old 03-20-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiosyncrasies View Post

I am reserving my judgement until I iron out an issue with my subwoofer. I feel that the sound quality is still a bit laid-back and thus the receiver needs more time breaking in.

For some reason, intermittently, the subwoofer (SVS SB13-Plus) crackles briefly at specific frequencies. I know it's not at the lowest frequencies and suspect it's around the crossover frequency (50Hz). I've changed the crossover to 60Hz with no avail. For example, if you try playing Daft Punk's Doing It right (a great track for subwoofer testing), it crackles intermittently during one of those big bass breaks.

I was using low-pass filter with my Rotel RA-1520 (via pre-outs) and never noticed this. So when subwoofer's low pass filter is activated in conjunction with 751R's own crossover - this doesn't happen either.

Next thing I could do is use subwoofer's own high-pass filter (a SQ compromising method) and see if the issue rears its head. I really hope that my amp is not faulty! I guess I'm going to be spending most of my Friday night doing REW sweeps to narrow down the issue.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGH!

How ironic I also had the same issue with that song. It's actually the second bass note. It's awesome when you get it right. What I did is I alow my 751R to do the crossover and I opened my sub right up. Then still there , using your hearing , adjust the volume of the sub till you can't hear it anymore from your preferred listening position. It doesn't mean moving closer to your sub your elimaniting the issue but where you are showcasing your sound others will never notice.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 651r Home Cinema Receiver , Cambridge Audio Ltd , Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751r Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page