Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 640 Old 06-26-2014, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Worth upgrading from Azur 540R

Hi Chaps

I am downsizing my hifi from hi-end gear as I wasn't listening to it that much and the cash could be better used elsewhere.

I have thus brought my Azur 540R back into service. I am pleasently surpised how nice it sounds with my old Ruark epilouges stand-mounters and BK XLS400 sub.

I was wondering, apart from the obvious support for HDMI and newer audio formats (both of which I can live without), I wondered if the 551R would sound noticably better than the 540R?

Also, how does the 651R compare to 551R in SQ as here in the UK it is double the price?

Thanks

Adrian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 640 Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I've recently gotten a 751r, having read through all the helpful posts in this thread. As everyone says, it's a bit of a cantankerous beast, but it's all worth it for the sound quality! I have a couple of questions I thought you guys may have come across:

a) I have a HDMI feed (audio + video) into the receiver, and HDMI output to my Samsung smart tv. Sometimes I use the TV to browse my media, and then want to turn it off to just listen to music. When I turn off the TV it actually interrupts the music for 5 or so seconds and then re-locks onto it. Why would removing an *output* affect how the receiver gets its input? The PCM stream (PCM 2/0) stays the same after re-locking; though I do find the PC volume mixer no longer applies (as I found out in one eardrum-popping discovery, going from 15% output to 100% after the TV turned off! Still recovering from that one...)

If I then turn the TV back on, the music interrupts again and doesn't return unless I go to the PC, stop playback and start again. So some kind of syncing issue perhaps? Or it's changing to bitstream or WASAPI or something?

b) In speaker settings, I set subwoofer to 'yes' and L/R to 'small'. If I toggle stereo mode to no longer use the subwoofer, does it automatically set the L/R speakers to 'large'? Going back into the OSD it still just says sub yes, speakers small. It sounds bassy enough to my ears, but atm I'm leaving speakers on 'large' in any case and I haven't observed any issues.

Thanks!
post #633 of 640 Old 06-30-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Antimode 8033 Cinema

Given the 751r Audyssey 2EQ is anyone using an Antimode 8033 Cinema DSP to manage the sub? If so, could you please provide an insight into the configuration and improvements.
post #634 of 640 Old 06-30-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by glinkot View Post
Hi,

I've recently gotten a 751r, having read through all the helpful posts in this thread. As everyone says, it's a bit of a cantankerous beast, but it's all worth it for the sound quality! I have a couple of questions I thought you guys may have come across:

a) I have a HDMI feed (audio + video) into the receiver, and HDMI output to my Samsung smart tv. Sometimes I use the TV to browse my media, and then want to turn it off to just listen to music. When I turn off the TV it actually interrupts the music for 5 or so seconds and then re-locks onto it. Why would removing an *output* affect how the receiver gets its input? The PCM stream (PCM 2/0) stays the same after re-locking; though I do find the PC volume mixer no longer applies (as I found out in one eardrum-popping discovery, going from 15% output to 100% after the TV turned off! Still recovering from that one...)

If I then turn the TV back on, the music interrupts again and doesn't return unless I go to the PC, stop playback and start again. So some kind of syncing issue perhaps? Or it's changing to bitstream or WASAPI or something?

b) In speaker settings, I set subwoofer to 'yes' and L/R to 'small'. If I toggle stereo mode to no longer use the subwoofer, does it automatically set the L/R speakers to 'large'? Going back into the OSD it still just says sub yes, speakers small. It sounds bassy enough to my ears, but atm I'm leaving speakers on 'large' in any case and I haven't observed any issues.

Thanks!

a) sounds like you are having issues with HDMI ARC. Either try disabling ARC in the 751r or use an HDMI input on the TV which is not ARC enabled (ie. any input other than HDMI 1).

b) I have not tried it but I don't think the 751r would be 'intelligent' to reset the speaker configurations subject to you changing the subwoofer setting. In fact, the last thing I would want is for the 751r to second guess settings based on a changed configuration.
post #635 of 640 Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for that, much appreciated. ARC was definitely a factor early on - in fact turning the TV on made the receiver turn off also, and I had to turn off various CEC options (AnyNet) on the TV to stop it. I'm pretty sure I've tried this on the non ARC TV outputs but I'll give it another go. The only thing is, I'd actually like ARC to operate, so we can listen to the TV via that. I could just use the separate optical out from the TV for that though I guess.
post #636 of 640 Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 AM

Liked: 10
I'm running into my first problem with my 751R, and the timing is really unfortunate as I think it's going to require repair work and I currently have a broken ankle.

My 751R didn't turn on this morning when I fired up the system. The blue power light was on, so I manually pressed the power button with no results.

I unplugged the unit for about 15 seconds, plugged it back in and it powered up just fine. About 15 minutes later I left the room for a moment and came back to find it off again. Same problem, same process, same results.

Then I was in the room 15 minutes later when it did the same, and I heard a click that sounds like a relay just as the unit turned off.

Has anyone experienced this before? The top of the unit is clear, ambient temp in my house is upper 70s - lower 80s right now and I don't see any obvious problem.

Mike
post #637 of 640 Old 07-26-2014, 06:22 PM

Liked: 12
Howdy msimanyi,

No, I haven't as yet experienced a problem like that.

And yep, sadly this seems to me that this may be the start of a power issue with your 751r receiver.

When I first read your post I initially thought that maybe it is the auto power shut-off feature which activates if there is no audio detected for a period of time. I know my receiver has automatically shutdown on occassion when I have been distracted for a while and nothing being playing, and/or a movie on pause or such like.

I remember reading it in the manual, too but that was a while ago. So after reading your post I turned my receiver on and left it on idle, and started browsing through the manual. And eventually I found it: at the end of the manual on page 38 (looking at the PDF manual - should be the same for the hard copy manual) there is the heading Auto Power Down. And there it states that if no audio is detected for 30 minutes then the receiver will auto power off (go into standby). I was hoping for you it would have stated 15 minutes as that could have been a possible answer to your query. But no, it says 30 minutes.

Secondly, I hoped then, that the auto power off feature might be customizable, that is, one can increase or decrease the duration of the time period before the receiver shuts down. But no, there isn't. All it has is the feature to either enable or disable the Auto Power Down.

Check in the onscreen display (OSD) and see if your Auto Power Down is enabled or disabled (hopefully your unit won't shutdown in the middle of doing this). You will find it under the audio settings, and then the Advanced Audio Setup. Use the arrow keys of your remote to toggle it from enabled to disabled. If you want to experiment and do some minor trouble shooting try disabling it (if it is enabled) and see if the problem still occurs. I think it won't make a difference. But if you find that it now stays on then you have possibly isolated the premature shutdown issue to that part of the receiver. Maybe.

But as mentioned at the outset, yes, I think there is a power issue. And it may be heat related in that your receiver is overheating too much - I noted your comment regarding the ambient room temperature and the unit's position so it seems to me that isn't contributing to any heat issue. And incidently if this is the case you should get a message on the receiver's display stating Protection Overload as per the IMPORTANT message on page 5 of the manual. Mind you, that is related to playing the receiver at a very high level thus generating the heat necessary to trigger that warning. If this is the case then the receiver will also go into standby mode. But if it isn't heat related then it is probably a failed or failing electronic component.

Well, not sure if what I have typed is of use. But those are the things I would consider.

Failing all of the above (or more likely regardless of the above), then it may be a trip down to the authorised repair shop.

Hope it works out eventually.

(took me a while to type this and at 25 minutes of idle time my receiver is still on)

Another one bites the dust...

Last edited by Asterus; 07-26-2014 at 06:27 PM.
post #638 of 640 Old 07-27-2014, 10:07 AM

Thank you, Asterus.

I need to clarify a couple points. I forgot about the international membership on these forums. The 70-80 degree temperatures are in Fahrenheit, so heat isn't an issue.

In this particular case, I was/am using the 751R to watch television and the volume control is only set to -40 db, so that eliminates the factor of overdriving the power supply and/or amplifier circuits.

I did check the auto power down option, and I had already disabled it.

It's really appearing I have an issue. I'll have to pull out the box and invoice. I think the unit is less than a year old, so I should be able to have this done under warranty.

On a side note, it's incredibly frustrating to watch the Tour de France and have the TV shut off every 10-15 minutes!

Mike
post #639 of 640 Old 08-14-2014, 12:11 PM

Do you guys use the inbuilt White Noise test tones for setting speaker levels, or use Pink Noise from a disc such as Spears & Munsil?
post #640 of 640 Old 08-24-2014, 01:30 AM

Liked: 24
hello
I have a problem with a 351r.
When I switch on the unit with the remote, it starts up and sound works, but the front display is not lit. Try unplugging etc, but the problem stays for a few day. Then after a few days everything works again. This happened a few times over a couple of years.
Anyone with the same problem, also on higher end versions? Or anyone can think of reasons/solutions?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 651r Home Cinema Receiver , Cambridge Audio Ltd , Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751r Black
Gear in this thread - 751r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page