post #661 of 689 Old 11-02-2014, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I am Considering a CA ...

2 questions -

1- What about the 751 v2 ? Anyone has one , instead of the 1st version?
Have they fixed the issues, or there are still a lot of noteworthy problems ...audio drops , HDMI issues and so on ?

2- Anyone tried the CA 751v2 with B&W 600 s2 speakers ( i have 684 s2, 685 s2, HTM62...and maybe i will upgrade next year the frontal to a CM) ? It's a good match ?

Cheers

Last edited by J_P_P; 11-02-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 689 Old 11-03-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hearing good things about CA sound quality, I also carefully considered them. But two glaring issues quickly presented themselves: reliability and poor customer service. If you go this way, I would buy from an authorized dealer and opt in to a good extended warranty. A local dealer would be best, online, Crutchfield has a reputation for standing behind their products. Personally, all the frustration experienced by CA owners drove me away from their receivers. I do own and love their blu ray players however. Best of luck!
post #663 of 689 Old 11-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Hearing good things about CA sound quality, I also carefully considered them. But two glaring issues quickly presented themselves: reliability and poor customer service. If you go this way, I would buy from an authorized dealer and opt in to a good extended warranty. A local dealer would be best, online, Crutchfield has a reputation for standing behind their products. Personally, all the frustration experienced by CA owners drove me away from their receivers. I do own and love their blu ray players however. Best of luck!
Yeah ! the reported problems are scaring me, and preventing me from even considering it !
post #664 of 689 Old 11-04-2014, 04:14 PM

No other options or experiences with the new V2 ?
post #665 of 689 Old 11-05-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So... I have a 650r and have been having all sorts of issues with video passing through HDMI. I understand that this is because of the older hardware in this aged unit.

I have a 751r v2 on order and I hope this fixes my issues. I run a Mac mini using plex as my theater server and has always worked great up until mid to late summer when I started having all sorts of video issues with my older unit.

Does anyone run a Mac mini with plex thru their v2!?? I'd love to get some input.
post #666 of 689 Old 11-09-2014, 07:18 AM

New to home audio

Hello All,

I recently picked up the CA Azur 651R. I am trying to figure our the best way to play streaming audio from my PC (Pandora/Spotify) on my home system. This model does NOT have the USB port like the 751R does for computer connection.
1. Should I use HDMI cable from PC to CA?
2. Should I use 3.5mm Jack from PC to MP3 plugin on the front of the receiver
3. Should I use bluetooth from my PC to my belkin bluetooth device (purchased separately) that is plugged in to my 3.5mm MP3 port on the fron of my receiver. Easier for me as less cables/wires but I imagine i loose a fair amount of sound quality this way
4. Is there a better way I should be doing this?

Thanks so much for any/all response. I am new to the home audio world but do appreciate good sound. Trying to get the most of my system for home listening

Thanks!

Jeff
post #667 of 689 Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Puette View Post
Hello All,

I recently picked up the CA Azur 651R. I am trying to figure our the best way to play streaming audio from my PC (Pandora/Spotify) on my home system. This model does NOT have the USB port like the 751R does for computer connection.
1. Should I use HDMI cable from PC to CA?
2. Should I use 3.5mm Jack from PC to MP3 plugin on the front of the receiver
3. Should I use bluetooth from my PC to my belkin bluetooth device (purchased separately) that is plugged in to my 3.5mm MP3 port on the fron of my receiver. Easier for me as less cables/wires but I imagine i loose a fair amount of sound quality this way
4. Is there a better way I should be doing this?

Thanks so much for any/all response. I am new to the home audio world but do appreciate good sound. Trying to get the most of my system for home listening

Thanks!

Jeff
Use the HDMI connection so you preserve the digital content.
post #668 of 689 Old 11-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Great, thanks for the response. If I use an hdmi cable to connect my pc to my CA receiver will I be taking advantage of the built in DAC from my receiver or using my computers sound card?
Thanks!

Jeff
post #669 of 689 Old 11-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Great, thanks for the response. If I use an hdmi cable to connect my pc to my CA receiver will I be taking advantage of the built in DAC from my receiver or using my computers sound card?
Thanks!

Jeff
The receiver's DAC.
post #670 of 689 Old 11-16-2014, 05:06 AM

Liked: 16
I own a CA751 and while the sound quality is great I am still encountering very annoying problems with sound dropping/cutting several times while watching TV/youtube videos + 1-2 seconds delay of sound whenever I play a new file (audio or video). Some youtube videos are just unwatchable with this receiver, you just cant hear anything, it cuts every two seconds.

Do you know if a new firmware solved thiese problems ? or if the new v2 of 751 solved these sound dropping/cutting/delayed issues ?

I would be grateful for your help. thank you.
post #671 of 689 Old 11-23-2014, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
751r help with usb

Hi all I've had my 751 for about a month now and am loving it. It seems to be sounding better and better although I'm sure it's a combination of the new totems breaking in also.
Anyways I've just started playing around with it and I've hooked up my pc with the usb to see if there is a difference in SQ. I had it running over hdmi. My question is once I switch to usb on the reciever I have no video output. Can anyone help me I'd like to have the audio over usb and video hdmi from the htpc. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help,

David

Last edited by Mustafa Jones; 11-23-2014 at 12:29 PM.
post #672 of 689 Old 11-23-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa Jones View Post
Hi all I've had my 751 for about a month now and am loving it. It seems to be sounding better and better although I'm sure it's a combination of the new totems breaking in also.
Anyways I've just started playing around with it and I've hooked up my pc with the usb to see if there is a difference in SQ. I had it running over hdmi. My question is once I switch to usb on the reciever I have no video output. Can anyone help me I'd like to have the audio over usb and video hdmi from the htpc. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help,

David

You can assign an analogue audio signal to a video signal, but, I don't think USB is a valid audio option. You could also try 'audio split mode' (see page 31 of the manual) although this feature does not look as if it is accessible using the remote ..

Audio split mode

In some circumstances the 651R/751R is able to allow the user to view one

source whilst listening to another. For instance you could watch the video of

a sports channel whilst getting an audio commentary from another such as

the Tuner.

To perform Audio Split:

1. Select the source you wish to watch in the normal way.

2. Press and hold the button on the front panel (not remote) for the source

you wish to listen to. After 4 seconds approx “Audio Split” will scroll across

the display and you will now be listening to that source instead. Video will

not have changed.

The 651R/751R allows splitting from any source whatever its video input

type (Composite, S-Video, Component or HDMI) but only to sources where

analogue or digital audio is the current audio input type, not HDMI.

If the combination is not allowed “Mode Unavailable” will instead scroll

across the display and no change will be made. To cancel audio split mode

simply select a new source and normal operation will be resumed.

post #673 of 689 Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 AM

Hey thank you it works great!!!! I was trying that "split" method the other day but for some reason when I tried to select usb as the alternate audio source it was switching it to digital....but went down this morning and tried it and all works.
Thanks again
post #674 of 689 Old 11-28-2014, 11:43 AM

I've read this whole thread but so far haven't found anyone posting on the one feature which I'm interested in - the Follow Main.

What I'm after is something which will let me listen to multi-channel sound on a 5.1 speaker system while my wife listens on cordless headphones - she is hard of hearing so needs the volume high.

When I had separate sources (blu-ray player, satellite PVR, terrestrial PVR) this was doable since each source had an analogue stereo out as well as HDMI so we used an audio switchbox. But now I have a media PC which can't do this - so I'm using HDMI only.

I'm currently using a HDMI splitter and an Atlona audio converter to feed the headphones but this is clumsy and needs more HDMI cables and PSUs.

So - can the 651R/751R send a stereo downmix to analogue outputs that I could plug the headphones into, while simultaneously sending the 5.1 to the speakers? Some places say yes, others say no, the speakers will revert to 2 channel stereo.
post #675 of 689 Old 11-28-2014, 10:04 PM

The 751r/651r supports 7.1 preamp out which could be used to drive a headphone amplifier.
post #676 of 689 Old 11-29-2014, 02:18 AM

But it needs to mix (at least) the centre channel into the front left and right to form the stereo output, else there would be no dialogue in films.
post #677 of 689 Old 11-29-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
If you go and take a look at every official receiver thread you will find horror stories one after another. Anthem Mrx 710 wich is known to be the best thing around has shutdown issues, On kyo's have heating issues and hdmi boards issues. I could go on about every manufacturers. I've had my share of problems with my 751r V1 but nothing major. I wouldnt tell people to stay away from this unit.

Focal Chorus 816v, CC800, 807V, SVS PB2000, Cambridge 751r, OPPO 103D.
post #678 of 689 Old 11-29-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermain View Post
But it needs to mix (at least) the centre channel into the front left and right to form the stereo output, else there would be no dialogue in films.

Other then investing in a 7.1 headset you could also look at using an HDMI heaphone amp. The 751r has 2 HDMI outputs.
post #679 of 689 Old 12-01-2014, 11:46 AM

But don't they just send video, not sound? Designed for a TV and a projector I guess.

If anyone who has one of these could confirm exactly what the "Follow Main" function does it would be very useful. Cambridge aren't responding to requests left on their web site and Richer Sounds aren't picking up the phone (or at least they weren't at 4-30 today).
post #680 of 689 Old 12-05-2014, 06:24 PM

Can someone please send me the latest 651r firmware with install instructions?

Many thanks!

klone1 (at) gmail (dot) com

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermain View Post
So - can the 651R/751R send a stereo downmix to analogue outputs that I could plug the headphones into, while simultaneously sending the 5.1 to the speakers? Some places say yes, others say no, the speakers will revert to 2 channel stereo.
Yes, both the 651r and the 751r can both certainly send a FOLLOW MAIN signal to Zone 2.
post #681 of 689 Old 12-15-2014, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariston View Post
Although the manual recommends connecting the 751BR to the 751R using both the HDMI and the direct analogue connections, this will not work. I found that until I disconnected the analogue connection and just used the HDMI, I could not get the receiver to with to multichannel audio when watching movies. Also I have not been able to get the 751BR and 751R to communicate using the 7.1 direct button and the analogue connections between the units.
I have a 752BD connected to my 751rV2 using both HDMI and analogue cables and everything is working fine: I can switch the input from HDMI to analogue (which I am doing e.g. when I am playing a SACD) and back (for playing BluRay discs).
However, I also had a problem when both HDMI outputs of my 752BD were used: the 752BD HDMI-Out1 was connected to the 751rV2 and the 752BD HDMI-Out2 was connected to HDMI-In1 of my beamer (Epson EH-TW9100), while the 751rV2 HDMI-Out1 was was connected to my TV and the 751rV2 HDMI-Out2 was also connected to the beamer. With this setup, there was occasionally no sound when I was playing a BluRay disc. However, after I simply disconnected the direct HDMI connection between the 752BD the 751rV2 everything was working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron hawaii View Post
Anyone know if the zone 2 ir jack is dual band or single band? anyone tried wireless extenders that worked?
this is a pretty interesting question. Nobody seems to know that (not my dealer nor his distributor ..) I only know that the Logitech Harmony Extender does not work (at least not with the cables that I tried).

Quote:
Can anyone tell what the best way to play spotify via this receiver?
I am using a CA Stream Magic 6v2 which supports Spotify Connect and I am quite happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiri View Post
I own the 752BD. I'm interested in the 751 as an ideal pair but worried about the problems encountered (sub management, first second cutted and so on)
I have both devices and I would recommend them: I encountered no serious problems so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHAVS View Post
this will be my last post on this forum since I switched from my CA 651R to the Marantz SR7008 (on sale this moment due to new SR7009).
that's interesting: I had a Marantz SR7008 which I traded in for a CA 751rV2 since I had picture dropout problems with the Marantz. Since I have the Cambridge receiver, my beamer never lost the signal from my 752BD (which frequently happened with the Marantz).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleFun View Post
I use a programmed Logitech harmony to process all the connection options.
I am also using one and I have one problem with the activities:
When all my devices are turned off and I choose an activity (such as "play a BluRay disc") the input selected on my 751rV2 is always the same that was used before I put the device into standby (e.g. the Stream Magic). However, once the 751rV2 is powered on, I can switch between my programmed activities and the 751rV2 always picks the correct input. Thus, my Harmony is sending the correct signals. Does anybody know how to fix this?
I already tried re-ordering my devices, such that the 751rV2 is always switched on as the first/last device for an activity but this did not help. After powering on, the 751rV2 always remembers the last input and I once have to change it manually.
post #682 of 689 Old 12-15-2014, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linefader View Post
However, after I simply disconnected the direct HDMI connection between the 752BD the 751rV2 everything was working fine.
of course I meant the direct connection between the 752BD and the beamer .. I don't know how to edit a post in this forum ..
post #683 of 689 Old 12-15-2014, 05:00 AM

one more correction: whenever I said beamer, I actually meant "video projector"
post #684 of 689 Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I was offered a really great deal on a 651r demo. I've had quite a few problems with my 540rv2. Every time it is turned on it goes to -6dbw and blasts, concerned it will blow the speakers so i have been leaving it on. The remote also stopped working and it stopped passing any signal to the sub.
I felt like it would be the wrong thing to give CA my money again, so I bought a marantz sr5009 on sale at best buy Friday night. Pretty sure I am done with CA, it was supposed to be a higher end, better quality product. I had much better reliablity from the countless Sony ES products I've bought since the '80s. Fingers crossed on the marantz. This wll be my first marantz product. I did have to do a hard reset to get it to pass through hdmi, but has been perfect since then and the sound quality is fantastic.
post #685 of 689 Old 12-15-2014, 10:26 AM

@Linefader I already tried re-ordering my devices, such that the 751rV2 is always switched on as the first/last device for an activity but this did not help. After powering on, the 751rV2 always remembers the last input and I once have to change it manually.

In the harmony activity startup command sequence you can add additional commands including changing the 751r input. If the commands don't work then try changing the device delays - see power advanced settings. I don't have access to my 751r just now and can't tell you my settings.
post #686 of 689 Old 12-18-2014, 02:52 AM

Has any one made the switch from the 751R to any avr with audyssey xt32, how was it? Especially for music (both in 5.1 and 2.0)

post #687 of 689 Old 12-18-2014, 12:12 PM

Well I owned a 651R for a week. Bought from Richer Sounds Weybridge on the 7th and returned on the 14th.

It does what it says it does - you can have a multichannel input via HDMI sent to the speakers plus a stereo downmix sent to the Zone 2 preamp outputs, which we used to drive some Senheisser RS-170 headphones.

Unfortunately there were two issues, a) there was a delay between the sound from the speakers and that from the headphones, resulting in an echo and b) the output level from the Zone 2 preamp was just too low so that even with the headphones at max they were too quiet some of the time.

Shame because it sounded a lot nicer than my old Denon AVR-1910 and it could cope with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA from my media PC, which the Denon has problems with.

I'm grateful to the people at Richer Sounds since there is nothing wrong with the receiver so they did not have to take it back.
post #688 of 689 Old Yesterday, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francky View Post
Has any one made the switch from the 751R to any avr with audyssey xt32, how was it? Especially for music (both in 5.1 and 2.0)
I owned the 651R but I sold it and own a Marantz SR7008 now. Basically because of the missing Audyssey xt32 on the 651R. It's much better than the EQ version of the CA's. But this is only true (TMO) for movies. For music I don't use Audyssey. For 2.0 music I always use Direct mode (or equivalent). When I watch concerts in 5.1 I also switch off Audyssey since that seems to give the sound an artificial effect which I don't like.

As I have mentioned before in previous posts: for audio the CA 751R/651R is a very good amplifier, so if that's your goal I would advise you to listen to it
post #689 of 689 Old Today, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHAVS View Post
I owned the 651R but I sold it and own a Marantz SR7008 now. Basically because of the missing Audyssey xt32 on the 651R. It's much better than the EQ version of the CA's. But this is only true (TMO) for movies. For music I don't use Audyssey. For 2.0 music I always use Direct mode (or equivalent). When I watch concerts in 5.1 I also switch off Audyssey since that seems to give the sound an artificial effect which I don't like.

As I have mentioned before in previous posts: for audio the CA 751R/651R is a very good amplifier, so if that's your goal I would advise you to listen to it
I already own a 751R, i was just wondering if i'm missing out on something given the lesser version of Audyssey. Another question to all, when using the 751R in preamp for the L/R channels, the receiver clips at -18db. I'm sure it's not the amp (tried 2 different brands, current one is a Bryston 4B). When using only the receiver i never heard it clip. Has anybody experienced this?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 651r Home Cinema Receiver , Cambridge Audio Ltd , Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751r Black
Gear in this thread - 751r by PriceGrabber.com