Owners Thread Cambridge Audio 651r/751r - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2015, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francky View Post
If you look at my sig you will see my setup and in my opinion this is not a Cambrdige issue, i'm also having issues with hdmi drops and lag with my Anthem MRX and if you take a look at different threads of other avr manufacturer you will see a whole lot of complaints and issues regarding hdmi and it's been that way since hdmi was introduced and it hasnt got any better. Avr manufacturer have been blamed too much for the shortcomings of hdmi, they dont make the chips or the boards. I'm tempted to make a comparison with beta and vhs. Beta was better but vhs won, same with hdmi and display port. It still baffles me the way the connectors do not clip and wobles and can easily loosen. Audiophiles spend a bunch of money (maybe too much but that's another debate) on quality wires and interconects in order to avoid loss of signal and yet we still have this hdmi flimsy connection. If display port would have taken over we would'nt even have to go through 4 versions of it. Just my 2 cents....
Yes, I got the below response back from Chris at CA, suggesting it's inherent to HDMI technology. My question now is - why did I do this again? lol...so let me see if I understand, you get a lossless digital signal that manages both video and audio in a single cable - ok, that's nice. But it's just converting the digital signal back to analog anyway - is this really and truly better than nice high quality RCA cables in which the signal remains analog throughout? I'm thinking for my TV connections of splitting the signal, going w HDMI for pic and optical toslink for audio - I used this arrangement w the Denon and it was great, no lag etc. You still get all the Dolby etc signal processing, sounds more than fine to my ears - besides, it's TV, not music where SQ matters most.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for contacting Cambridge Audio. In regards to the HDMI audio, this is actually expected behaviour. When a HDMI source is sent to the receiver, the receiver has to lock on to the digital signal. Once locked on, it will then convert the digital signal to analogue, and output it to your speakers. This is different from sending analogue signals to the receiver, as the audio is already converted and does not have to be locked on to or processed before you hear it. If a momentary break happens in the signal, such as a channel changes or fast forwarding, the HDMI signal will need a moment to lock back onto the source, so there will be a gap in the audio. There is not a way to get get around this I'm afraid.

In regards to the front panel brightness, this feature was not introduced until our later models, so it will not be possible on the 351R.

I hope this helps with your inquiry. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Chris
Cambridge Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyd50 View Post
I'm thinking for my TV connections of splitting the signal, going w HDMI for pic and optical toslink for audio - I used this arrangement w the Denon and it was great, no lag etc.
So much for that - tried it and the audio lag remains, so theoretically it's any digital format, not just HDMI.

Personally, I think it's the amp. I never had this issue with my Denon, which was 7 years older and the last model pre-HDMI. Guess there's just always a tradeoff, whenever you switch up gear - you think you're upgrading, but something crops up to level it out.

Sigh.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">My dealer said they didn't send the instructions WITH the files the first time, and they are a little void, at that. This is partly what happens when you insist on creating a middleman in your Customer Service system.</div>
</div>
<br>
Like I said, I have the complete files with me. You want em; send your email across in PM. No need waiting for your dealer to get back to you. He won't serve you any different files.
I know this is over a year old but I am in the same boat with the firmware update and would like to ask for a little help...

My distributor was happy to get me the BIN file for the 1.51 update but not able to produce any instructions.
Also, is there a piece of software used to upload the BIN file once the Azur is in firmware update mode?

Hopefully braveheart123 and dean-l are still around...
Old 02-12-2015, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 124
You don't need a separate software for the upgrade. Keep the update instruction manual handy. You need a null modem cable though.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
Old 02-12-2015, 10:40 AM

I'm about 2/3 of the way there:

I'm good with the cabling (I work as a Crestron prog for a small CI company)
I have the 1.51 mainboard BIN file for the 651/751r

I am however lacking the upgrade instructions (Cambridge sent my distributor the FW files but not the instructions)

I'm pretty brave when it comes to FW updates but I also know how much this thing weights and shipping a bricked AVR back to the distributor is not my idea of fun.

You wouldn't happen to have the instructions still would you?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes I do. PM your email address

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
Old 02-14-2015, 11:04 AM

Unfortunately even though I've been all over this board for years, I only recently re-registered and with a post count below 15 = no PM

sean

Edit: Thanks!

Last edited by Saenjh; 02-17-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hy guys, I am still thinking of purchasing the Cambridge 751, the other option is the Arcam 380 which I can get for a better price, but I see that the Cambridge has 7.1 analog in conections, and I am wondering if this alone can be an important feature.
Untill now Ive always used digital, first optic cable, now hdmi, but I recently purchased a stereo integrated amplifier, and through analog it sounds so natural and powerfull, that I am begining to wonder if its also better for multichanel, and since my Oppo103 has analog outputs, I am thinking of the posibility to use them instead of HDMI.

Would like to know your thoghts about this, I dont know if through analog I can listen to all the movie soundtracks including the HD soundtracks like dolby true hd, a friend told me that the subwoofer doesnt work on some of these hd tracks through analog, but maybe hes wrong.

Maybe now people use digital because its all in one cable, and because most players dont have multichanel analog outputs, but it could still be a better option regarding sound quality.

Also usually people dont use analog because on other receiver you only get room correction through digital conections, but since Cambridge doesnt have a good eq, I want to know if I can get better sound through analog, if not then Arcam would be a good choice for me since its cheaper.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post
Hy guys, I am still thinking of purchasing the Cambridge 751, the other option is the Arcam 380 which I can get for a better price, but I see that the Cambridge has 7.1 analog in conections, and I am wondering if this alone can be an important feature.
I have a ca 752bd and use it to connect my sky digital box to take advantage of the qdeo video upscaler. I use the HDMI out to connect direct to the TV and 7.1 audio to the 751r for sound. I also have the option to use the second HDMI output of the 752bd to also connect to the 751r to take advantage of the anchor video and 320k audio over sample. I use a Logitech harmony remote to program all the activities for one click start up. The usb audio input on the 751r is also a nice to have for audio playback from my PC.
NeogeoG likes this.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleFun View Post
I have a ca 752bd and use it to connect my sky digital box to take advantage of the qdeo video upscaler. I use the HDMI out to connect direct to the TV and 7.1 audio to the 751r for sound. I also have the option to use the second HDMI output of the 752bd to also connect to the 751r to take advantage of the anchor video and 320k audio over sample. I use a Logitech harmony remote to program all the activities for one click start up. The usb audio input on the 751r is also a nice to have for audio playback from my PC.
Thanks for the reply, but I would like to know if there is better sound quality using the analog imputs vs hdmi or if its just the same with diferent cables.

Regards.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but I would like to know if there is better sound quality using the analog imputs vs hdmi or if its just the same with diferent cables.

Regards.

It's a question of choice. Using the Oppo 103 connected analogue to the 751r gives you the Oppo Sabre DAC which is a very open and clinical sound. Using the Oppo 103 connected HDMI to the 751R gives you the 751r Wolfson DAC which is a bit warmer. I like having the options but prefer the Sabre DAC most of the time.
NeogeoG likes this.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:16 AM

Thanks Triplefun for sharing your opinion.

Ive just been able to talk with a profesional installer about this matter and he sais that it really depends on which machine does a better job converting the digital signal to analog, he sais that its usually the receiver, so normally its better to send the signal through hdmi and let the receiver do the converting, but of course if you have a good receiver, it is posible to get better results.

He also told me that another advantage of having analog imputs in the receiver is that if a new audio format comes out, you can still keep the receiver and just change change the bluray player for a newer version that suports the new audio and that way send it through the analog outputs.

Regards.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:26 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Kind of a weird launch. My local hi-fi store told me production of the CX series was to begin in january and the units should be in stores by the begining of april (in north america). What i find weird is that specs are being posted like bread crumbs. I dont care too much about room correction but ,and i know i'm repeating myself, bass management is an absolute must in an avr. Otherwise what is the point. Might as well buy an integrated amp.
I reckon I must be fortunate with my setup I guess. Personally I don't use the Audessey room correction software that came with the 751r at all. Just entered the distances of my speakers manually and that was that (and I did the same with my Oppo 105 Blu-ray player in the event I use the analog outs, which I do often). As for my Velodyne sub, I used its own calibration to manage the bass signals that are sent to it. Audio is superb including any bass that is redirected to the sub, LFE or otherwise.

Another one bites the dust...
Old 02-21-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I sent a query to Cambridge Audio about room correction in the upcoming cx serie. Here is the reply.
Chris (Cambridge Audio)
Feb 6, 15:49
Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Cambridge Audio. We do not have a specific named setup for the CXR receivers. It will just be a proprietary setup.
Availability should be around the end of March/beginning of April.
If you require any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again
That was a good thing to ask, Francky. Wish they had offered more in their response to you. Sigh. Surely it wouldn't hurt CA to be more specific in their replies.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleFun View Post
It's a question of choice. Using the Oppo 103 connected analogue to the 751r gives you the Oppo Sabre DAC which is a very open and clinical sound. Using the Oppo 103 connected HDMI to the 751R gives you the 751r Wolfson DAC which is a bit warmer. I like having the options but prefer the Sabre DAC most of the time.
Good questions and good answers.

Oppo's Sabre 32 Reference DAC is considered to be a very good DAC. However, as yet I have not really been able to tell any significant difference between the two DACs (Oppo's and CA's Wolfson DAC). Doesn't mean there isn't a difference, measurable or otherwise, just that for me I haven't been able to determine if I think one is better or different from the other. Might need someone more attuned to determine that. Well, that isn't me. :-) But like TripleFun, I tend to stick with my analog outs from my Oppo (thus utilising its Sabre 32 Reference DAC).

And its the same thing when considering the cables and connections. Tons can be said on this alone and also very little, too.

But I have to agree with TripleFun in that it is a matter of choice, and the Cambridge Audio 751r does allow you to have both arrangements running and one merely selects which mode one wishes to use and then go for it. You can even toggle between the two modes, HDMI or Analog Outs/Ins and make your comparisons (that is how I have arranged my setup).

I guess, at the end of the day, if the content (music or movies) engrosses you you might not even notice any differences between the two modes. That is, unless you were specifically listening for the technicalities of the two modes rather than paying attention to the content for entertainment purposes, if you know what I mean.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post
Yes I do. PM your email address
Hi

I just got my new 651R.

I would like to receive the firmware and instructions if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Adrian
Old 03-01-2015, 06:07 AM

Hi everyone

Just got a 651R.

I realise the unit takes a while to lock onto digital audio streams etc, but I am getting dropouts and loosing sync in the middle of tracks when using optical/coax. This aprears to be random (perhaps once every 5-10 mins).

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this something I can expect to get fixed in the latest firmware?

I know it isn't the source as it works fine using a different DAC.

Adrian
Old 03-02-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saenjh View Post
I'm about 2/3 of the way there:

I'm good with the cabling (I work as a Crestron prog for a small CI company)
I have the 1.51 mainboard BIN file for the 651/751r

I am however lacking the upgrade instructions (Cambridge sent my distributor the FW files but not the instructions)

I'm pretty brave when it comes to FW updates but I also know how much this thing weights and shipping a bricked AVR back to the distributor is not my idea of fun.

You wouldn't happen to have the instructions still would you?

anyone knows if 1.51 is the latest/last firmware for the 751R ??
Old 03-03-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 PM

Triamp / Biamp

If the amps on these receivers are soo good, has anyone tried using them as a simple triamp (biamp) - basically, have an external preamp and run 3 (or 2) sets of cables from the preamp output (or outputs) to connect to 6 (4) of the receivers 7.1 preamp inputs.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:05 AM

Upgrade

Hi Members

is the sound better with the 651R, than the 551R?
Should i upgrade if i got a good offer to the 651R?
Do any known if i can use Arc System 2 to calibriate my 551R?

Kind Regards Allan
Old 04-04-2015, 07:02 AM

Cambridge or Anthem

Hi Members

I Got a great offer on a Ca Azur 651R.
Is the Anthem MRX 510, double Price, double so good As Ca Azur 651R?

Kind Regards Allan
Old 04-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccallan View Post
Hi Members

I Got a great offer on a Ca Azur 651R.
Is the Anthem MRX 510, double Price, double so good As Ca Azur 651R?

Kind Regards Allan
FYI, you likely got a great offer because one is on closeout and the other is not. The replacement series from Cambridge Audio is about to debut.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:18 AM

Hello
You write that you get big improvement with Sub with Anti-Mode 8033.
Can you help me?
i have just get Azur 651R and Anti-Mode 8033C.
Do you Calibrate Sub first with Anti-mode 8033 and then Calibrate Azur 651R again with Auto Setup?

Kind Regards Allan
Old 04-12-2015, 01:24 PM

Building on Bravehart's experiences with audyssey on the 751r, I manually configured speaker distances, levels and crossovers using the settings from my previous avr. I also set all speakers to small in the 751r and the crossover on the subwoofer to maximum. I then ran the antimode to remove room bass resonance peaks. I found I had to decrease the bass volume on the subwoofer after I had completed the antimode calibration. I used daft punk doin' it right for before and after testing.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianfox View Post
Hi

I just got my new 651R.

I would like to receive the firmware and instructions if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Adrian
Noone want to send me the firmware?

afox66 - at - g m a i l

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 651r Home Cinema Receiver , Cambridge Audio Ltd , Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751r Black
Gear in this thread - 751r by PriceGrabber.com