Owners Thread Cambridge Audio 651r/751r - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #751 of 766 Old 07-01-2015, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecmess View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I could not audition and went solely on reviews, which said it was a music performer. To me it sounds thin, edgy and jumbles complex passages. I have to turn it up to get dynamics, then have to back it down because it bothers my ears. It could be it doesn't mesh with my speakers - Revel F208s.

I believe the 200 has a USB DAC at 24/192 but no room correction. I have never used room correction on any of my equipment as I never liked what it did. I don't own a PC and can't setup ARC anyway on the Anthem, and I'm not going to buy Bootcamp.

Looking at the pictures of the rear of the CXR200 I don't see a USB Type B port which is why I said there is no USB port for PC ASIO music interface. Interesting that your Revel speakers don't work all that well with the CXR200. The ability to work well with all speaker types was a major strength of the Cambridge products. As such I still suggest you look at a 751R and pair it with either a 752bd, oppo bdp105 or the new CA CXN. Of course a PC (second hand notebook?) would open up a lot more connectivity options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 766 Old 07-01-2015, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sorry - my comments with the Revels is for the Anthem.

AH - there is a front USB port - which I assume is for an iPod. No USB in the back that I can see.

Thanks
post #753 of 766 Old 07-21-2015, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
CA 651r Firmware

Hello

I recently purchased a CA 651r and had problems with the BiAmp setup in direct mode with analogue inputs.
When I spoke to CA Support it turned out to be a known issue with the version of firmware on my receiver, but they could not send me the update file I would have to take the Reciever back to RS where I bought it for them to update it.
Spoke to RS and they cant do it while I wait so I would need to leave the reciever with them which I am not keen on.
I then came across this thread and noticed that the Firmware and instructions for updating had been shared on here between members previously.

Would anyone be kind enough to email a copy to me?

spinaltapt-at-gmail
post #754 of 766 Old 07-21-2015, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinaltapt View Post
Hello

I recently purchased a CA 651r and had problems with the BiAmp setup in direct mode with analogue inputs.
When I spoke to CA Support it turned out to be a known issue with the version of firmware on my receiver, but they could not send me the update file I would have to take the Reciever back to RS where I bought it for them to update it.
Spoke to RS and they cant do it while I wait so I would need to leave the reciever with them which I am not keen on.
I then came across this thread and noticed that the Firmware and instructions for updating had been shared on here between members previously.

Would anyone be kind enough to email a copy to me?

spinaltapt-at-gmail
Be careful you want to use the correct locale firmware this is american site generally you want uk avforums
post #755 of 766 Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

I have AVR Cambridge Audio Azur 551r, great sound, I like it but there's some annoying problem, not sure if your 651r/751r got same problem like this, or have you noticed? Problem is sound level and dynamic drop itself, this sometime happen when start movie or continue play after stopped. When movie start I heard loud and clear sound as normal at -45dB volume for one second and then no sound for another one second (as they call it's gap?), and when sound came back it not the same, it's weak, less bass and dull at same -45dB volume (sound like dynamic range was clip). I have to turn 551r system's power off and re turn on, volume will reset to -50dB as everytime when system started and then sound level came loud and clear as usual when I increase volume to -45dB, no sound drop this time. Do you have same problem or know what happen?

My Blu ray player is OPPO 105 , sent output signal through HDMI as PCM (I think sound better than sent as bitsteam.)
DRC (Dynamic Range Control) turn off for both OPPO and Azur 551r

I really like great sound from 551r of mine, but since found this annoying problem I'm thinking about up grade to 751r but not sure if it have same problem?

Thanks
post #756 of 766 Old 10-10-2015, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Red face Azur651w premium power amplifier

Hello Anyone
is there anyone who has tried connect a seperate 2 channel Amplifier like AZUR651W PREMIUM POWER AMPLIFIER to a Azur 651R/751R ?
will it give a sound boost in stereo or is it overkill?

Allan
post #757 of 766 Old 10-17-2015, 11:46 AM

Hi all,
been loving my Cambridge setup for the last few years, I have two 840W power amps, a 840E pre and an 840C CD player, all topped off with a Project XPerience turntable and a couple of Graham Slee phono stages all hooked up to B&W 683s.

At present I'm using a digital optical cable from my mac mini through to the DAC in the 840C to play my digital library. However, I've just purchased a 850N and was wondering on your thoughts for the best set-up? Plumb it into the 840 E?

Many thanks......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	1001105  
post #758 of 766 Old 10-17-2015, 11:49 AM

Better pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	1001121  
post #759 of 766 Old 10-27-2015, 09:29 PM

Hi anyone still involve in this thread. After many years away from serious av/hifi I'm back and although the 751r is now in 'runout' so to speak I have found one at under $2k (AUD) and I'm ready to pounce. (Along with a 752bd....I'd hate to break up sibblings). Given there is a bunch of new receivers in the market at the moment from Marantz/Denon, CA itself has the new CX series etc etc, I'm looking to the collective wisdom of this forum to found out if there's anything significant I should be looking for in this new gear? TBH I kind of feel at the price I'm looking at I can't think of anything below about $3500-$4000 the would offer the SQ ill7get from the 751r (v2)

Some background, 60% BD concerts 40% movies. I have a 15 year old set of Wharfedales that will be going in the next 6-12 months in place of something like kef R series, or CM10s, maybe even Tannoy.

Also would love some advice on subwoofer....heard a Velodyne eqmax today, ported, was pretty good, but maybe a bit loose for music reproduction. Maybe I'll need to double up.

I had an old onkyo that recently went to heaven that was actually pretty good albeit a bit harsh and in your face.

My music tastes range anything like Placebo, Procupine Tree (check out their BD concerts ) right through to Michel Kiwinuka.....quite varied, but you'll find zero hip hop or do of do of music......yes, I'm over 30
post #760 of 766 Old 10-27-2015, 09:34 PM

Oh, and I live on the Sunshine coast of queensland so flying off around the country to audition the amp is out of the question. ..that will probably happen when replacing he speakers though
post #761 of 766 Old 11-01-2015, 04:44 AM

Cambridge audio 651a problem

Hi,

I have used my 651a (eu ver) for 3,5 years with some B&W CM1 speakers and have been quite satisfied with the sound and the general quality of the set-up.

- What happened -

Then yesterday my amp stopped working. I was listening through the usb port and the amp just turned to standby mode and it felt quite hot. So I let it cool off for a few minutes and tried to turn it on again which it did and played some more and then turned back to standby mode again. I then took it out and let it cool off for a long while and then plugged it back in and tried it and it won't come out of standby mode now.

- Current state -

It simple flashes through all the lights (from the standby up to the usb and back to standby) Doesn't flash any lights any more or less with the standby light constantly on. If I hold the standby button it will flash through them all and then blink the protection light 5 times and then go to standby mode again.

I have tried unplugging it and everything attached to it, different outputs, leaving it without power overnight but nothing will make it come out of standby mode.

- Question -

Has anybody experienced anything similar and know what's wrong and how to fix it?

- Comments -

I live in Poland so getting it to a dealer will be quite complicated so I want to rule out anything else before doing that. I have contacted cambridge and I'm waiting for a reply.

Thanks for your time and all the best,
Hampus
post #762 of 766 Old 11-21-2015, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Finally found a reviewbon the cxr200
http://www.hdfever.fr/2015/07/09/tes...ridge-cx-r200/

And yes, the 751r/752bd is still a classic.
post #763 of 766 Old 11-23-2015, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #764 of 766 Old 12-17-2015, 05:09 PM

Hi All,

I have a 651R and I am having problems with viewing the OSD. My main TV is a Panasonic TC-P60ST50 plasma (manufactured May 2012). The OSD will not display on this TV. I have tried every combination of HDMI cables and settings in the TV and receiver, to no avail. The TV in my bedroom is a Panasonic TC-P55ST60 plasma (manufactured March 2013). I tried this with the receiver and can see the OSD. I have contacted CA and Panasonic and nobody seems to have an answer as to what the difference is between the two TV's and whether it is a problem with the receiver or the TV's. I had a 650R before the 651R and it displayed the OSD on my main TV! Today I tried displaying the OSD on a small Samsung LCD TV and it also would not display it.

Has anyone else run across this problem?
post #765 of 766 Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterus View Post
I have now had my 751R for a year (got it on 31 December, 2013). I have had no problems with it at all, that is, it hasn't failed or anything like that.

However, I too, have had the occassional 1 second loss of sound when playing CDs, changing tracks etc. Although I have not watched too many youtube videos (done via my PC which is connected via HDMI to my 751R) I have had no problems at all when watching those videos - no cutting out or sound dropping.

Not overly impressed with Cambridge Audio's after sales support. While they did respond promptly, their answers were generic and avoided being specific which is what I required.

But the dealership that I got the 751R from has a good reputation for after sales support so that is what I'd recommend to purchasers of this gear - to ensure you buy from a reputable dealership known for their after sales support.
Well, knowing that you actually heard from Cambridge Audio Support at all is an encouragement to me. I reached out to them 10 days ago now and not so much as a peep from them.

I purchased a used 851N Network Player in mint condition at Audiogon. I'm trying to figure out how to get the 851N to see the music library on my Apple Time Capsule that I have ethernet-connected to the 851N. This was quite easy to do using a much less expensive Bluesound Node that I used to own.

If anyone has any thoughts about connecting the Time Capsule specifically, I'd love to hear them. I've already read Cambridge's documentation on the subject (e.g. NAS Drive Setup Guide, Common Networking Problems and Solutions) and it wasn't very helpful.

Thanks!
post #766 of 766 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

Question for anyone with a Cambridge AVR:

Can the "All Channel Stereo" Mode (Party or 7-Channel Mode) down mix from any Dolby Digital signal?

I use that mode quite frequently in our all-purpose basement to overcome exercise-equipment noise while watching TV.

I know that on some receivers, I'd have to change the settings on the cable box to stereo for PCM down mix.

I'm seriously considering a CXR200 which should be similar to any recent Cambridge.

Believe me....I will use this expensive receiver for more than just casual listening!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Cambridge Audio Azur 651r Home Cinema Receiver , Cambridge Audio Ltd , Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751r Black
Gear in this thread