Owners Thread Cambridge Audio 651r/751r - Page 7 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Owners Thread Cambridge Audio 651r/751r

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

nojindij's Avatar nojindij
11:14 AM Liked: 11
post #181 of 689
07-30-2013 | Posts: 25
Thank you for the files

A few things are varying from the update instructions on my 651R

The manual says "3. Turn the unit ON. Once the unit is on, press and hold “Analog Stereo Direct (ASD)” and “Expansion” buttons at the same time (Tuner FM/AM button for 651R) after 3 seconds or so the string “Main Board Confirm?” will be display in the VFD. Once the string is displayed, release ASD and Expansion buttons. Rotate the volume knob till the texts “You can update Main Firmware” are displayed on the VFD, press ASD button to select MCU software upgrade option."

If I rotate the volume button on my 651R I can select "Main board Confirm", "Video board Confirm" or "DSP board Confirm". Then if I press the ASD, the text “You can update Main Firmware” turns up. But I can't select or find the "MCU upgrade option"
12:04 PM Liked: 11
post #182 of 689
07-30-2013 | Posts: 25
I've done it ... Everything is OK biggrin.gif
braveheart123's Avatar braveheart123
01:39 PM Liked: 119
post #183 of 689
07-30-2013 | Posts: 1,846
Rock on buds!!! wink.gif

Um still waiting for my null modem cable mad.gif
dean-l's Avatar dean-l
02:24 PM Liked: 14
post #184 of 689
07-30-2013 | Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojindij View Post

Thank you for the files

A few things are varying from the update instructions on my 651R

The manual says "3. Turn the unit ON. Once the unit is on, press and hold “Analog Stereo Direct (ASD)” and “Expansion” buttons at the same time (Tuner FM/AM button for 651R) after 3 seconds or so the string “Main Board Confirm?” will be display in the VFD. Once the string is displayed, release ASD and Expansion buttons. Rotate the volume knob till the texts “You can update Main Firmware” are displayed on the VFD, press ASD button to select MCU software upgrade option."

If I rotate the volume button on my 651R I can select "Main board Confirm", "Video board Confirm" or "DSP board Confirm". Then if I press the ASD, the text “You can update Main Firmware” turns up. But I can't select or find the "MCU upgrade option"

OMG that's complicated. It's almost like someone's joking around.
The Murderousone's Avatar The Murderousone
09:32 PM Liked: 25
post #185 of 689
07-30-2013 | Posts: 318
How big of a difference is their between the 651r and the 751r? Anyone know where to get these for a good deal
dean-l's Avatar dean-l
10:55 PM Liked: 14
post #186 of 689
07-30-2013 | Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post

How big of a difference is their between the 651r and the 751r? Anyone know where to get these for a good deal

We are not allowed to discuss prices, except MSRP's and such.

It's a little tougher with CA since there are less dealers than, say, an Anthem.

The current price on Amazon is a good negotiating start.
Ryder125's Avatar Ryder125
10:33 PM Liked: 21
post #187 of 689
07-31-2013 | Posts: 386
Interesting reading sound and vision review... They pretty much say in audio there's no difference between the 751R and the 551R.
10:50 PM Liked: 119
post #188 of 689
07-31-2013 | Posts: 1,846
Take that with a grain of salt. Lab measurements are more revealing than any reviewer's subjective remarks.
11:07 PM Liked: 21
post #189 of 689
07-31-2013 | Posts: 386
He was the same reviewer who played with both machines and lab measurements favoured the 551R outside of power, which is overrated IMHO and video.
02:17 AM Liked: 119
post #190 of 689
08-01-2013 | Posts: 1,846
Your ears are best judges.
ShrikeT's Avatar ShrikeT
11:26 AM Liked: 10
post #191 of 689
08-01-2013 | Posts: 29
Do these receivers have EQ controls independent of the Audyssey system? Or is it just the usual wiring/distance/level settings?
dean-l's Avatar dean-l
11:46 AM Liked: 14
post #192 of 689
08-01-2013 | Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeT View Post

Do these receivers have EQ controls independent of the Audyssey system? Or is it just the usual wiring/distance/level settings?

No.

On the other issue, just to throw my 2 cents in.

I've heard(or read) people INSIST(and belittle others) that there is basically NO DIFF between AVR's that I heard SIGNIFICANT differences between. I think there are even diffs between the 651r and 751r.

Personally, I think more power DOES do things, besides "a tiny bit of volume". Not always the same things, but generally positive.

The price diffs between CA AVR's is pretty large. The 651r was the "best" combo for me. Matched basic design with the BIG-Boy 751r, without the USB digital music stuff I'll probably never need. 140 wpc into 2 ch, 100 wpc into 7 ch is plenty and an AVR powerhouse in itself, even before the monster of the 751r. The ABT-2010 chip and it's "implementation" into the AVR is the best I've seen yet from any AVR Ive tried/owned. And the upscaling to 1080p is even better than my TV, IMO. It's worth the money just for that. Amazing how people minimize PQ in relation to AVR's.

P.S. I think people need to re-read the section about D to A linearity. Particularly, the last few sentences, for a perspective of the importance that the reviewer considers the situation. I think people LOOK for things that are not really there. It helps some people create distinctions that they cannot do themselves. After all, we talk about D to A linearity ALL THE TIME, don't we.
03:55 PM Liked: 119
post #193 of 689
08-01-2013 | Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Do these receivers have EQ controls independent of the Audyssey system?

Whatever CA left out on these receivers in terms of sound; trust me that is not required. Things like channel separation, speakers balance, bass management, sound staging, dialogue level are nothing less than fantastic. The best part is there is no reference scale for movies/music on these receivers. They just do not run out of steam; at least 751R doesn't. Just keep cranking the volume as far as your speakers and ears can take. Your ears will give in before 751R will.

Another very important thing.....DynamicEQ does not go berserk making up for the master volume offset from 0dB movie reference scale. I think this is the best DynamicEQ implementation I've ever experienced. Also, I'm sure audyssey version is the most hated on Azurs; but that isn't required at all. Just set proper distances, level match the speakers, correctly dial the sub, engage the dynamicEQ, and let the sonic roulette spin.
krolsen's Avatar krolsen
02:42 AM Liked: 10
post #194 of 689
08-02-2013 | Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

Whatever CA left out on these receivers in terms of sound; trust me that is not required. Things like channel separation, speakers balance, bass management, sound staging, dialogue level are nothing less than fantastic. The best part is there is no reference scale for movies/music on these receivers. They just do not run out of steam; at least 751R doesn't. Just keep cranking the volume as far as your speakers and ears can take. Your ears will give in before 751R will.

Another very important thing.....DynamicEQ does not go berserk making up for the master volume offset from 0dB movie reference scale. I think this is the best DynamicEQ implementation I've ever experienced. Also, I'm sure audyssey version is the most hated on Azurs; but that isn't required at all. Just set proper distances, level match the speakers, correctly dial the sub, engage the dynamicEQ, and let the sonic roulette spin.

AMEN biggrin.gif
I think there is no other receiver that performs like the 651R/751R in sound and dynamic. Only a pre amp and amp combi can keep up with that receiver but will cost twice as much.

Havn't done the update yet. Vacation first biggrin.gif
Hope the digital input lag is fixed.
dean-l's Avatar dean-l
09:33 AM Liked: 14
post #195 of 689
08-02-2013 | Posts: 635
Digital input lag?

Maybe all my AVR's from the last year have had one, but IS there one? and what's it like?
01:26 PM Liked: 119
post #196 of 689
08-02-2013 | Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Havn't done the update yet. Vacation first biggrin.gif

Happy vacations. Um still on a wait for the stupid null cable, though mad.gif
04:30 PM Liked: 21
post #197 of 689
08-04-2013 | Posts: 386
http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/equipment-menu/468-cambridge-audio-azur-751r-a-v-receiver

New review of the 751R
12:06 AM Liked: 21
post #198 of 689
08-05-2013 | Posts: 386
I'm not so sure how reliable soundstagexperience.com is when I look Paradigm advertises pretty heavy there and ever company that has ads there as products as recommend awards.
dean-l's Avatar dean-l
09:20 AM Liked: 14
post #199 of 689
08-05-2013 | Posts: 635
Not the worst review. Someone should've told him that's a picture of the back of a 651r NOT 751r. I understand his disappointment with the OSD, but his "no pictures" comment is a little odd. Never heard anyone complain that the OSD doesn't have "pictures". I

At least he seemed honest. I can see why people think Anthem MRX's are better. But when you do A to B comparisons the weaknesses REALLY come out.

He owns Definitive Technology speakers. You might as well just use closed captioning and speak the words yourself. I've NEVER heard such incredibly awful speakers that are considered "respected" by the reviewer industry. When I heard a VERY highly rated pair once, never fully trusted pro-reviews again. Big nasty powered woofers, you could NOT turn them down enough, boomy boomy boomy. And I think they forgot to connect the tweeters. Like listening to someone talking who's wrapped in a blanket and thrown in a car trunk.
01:24 PM Liked: 119
post #200 of 689
08-05-2013 | Posts: 1,846
That review is worth nothing. I wish the reviewer had paired the likes of Klipsch RF-7 MKII or Palladium series speakers with 751R
02:19 PM Liked: 21
post #201 of 689
08-08-2013 | Posts: 386
I bought a CA 551R online and think I'm going to buy a Anthem MRX-300 too and keep the winner! Can't wait to hear these two
02:34 PM Liked: 11
post #202 of 689
08-08-2013 | Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Not the worst review. ...He owns Definitive Technology speakers..
Imho speakers should be about double expensive as the amp.
02:05 AM Liked: 21
post #203 of 689
08-09-2013 | Posts: 386
When I compared the Anthem MRX to Yamaha, Denon and Marantz it was a clear winner, now I'll be comparing it to Cambridge for a week and then keep the winner, I don't remember hearing static and noise from the Anthem? I remember it being clean and quiet, its been awhile since I've heard a MRX but I was impressed with it. Hard to ignore all the love for CA tho, seen a few people switch over from Anthem to CA and seem to be happy with it, on the UK forums they seem to like the Anthem MRX over the Arcam 600/500, so I'm sure Anthem is in Arcam league if not above it given all the people switching from the fmj 600 to the MRX and calling it an improvement.
dean-l's Avatar dean-l
02:10 AM Liked: 14
post #204 of 689
08-09-2013 | Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojindij View Post

Imho speakers should be about double expensive as the amp.

Ah, you're in Germany. Love my Canton Ergo's. Not perfect, but one of the best tweeters I've ever heard. Open airy highs, clear, and never harsh. Listened to many speakers, some many many times more $$$. They are often better in many ways, but I always wonder the same thing -- what would they sound like with MY Canton tweeters. I think that really says something.
dean-l's Avatar dean-l
02:25 AM Liked: 14
post #205 of 689
08-09-2013 | Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

When I compared the Anthem MRX to Yamaha, Denon and Marantz it was a clear winner, now I'll be comparing it to Cambridge for a week and then keep the winner, I don't remember hearing static and noise from the Anthem? I remember it being clean and quiet, its been awhile since I've heard a MRX but I was impressed with it. Hard to ignore all the love for CA tho, seen a few people switch over from Anthem to CA and seem to be happy with it, on the UK forums they seem to like the Anthem MRX over the Arcam 600/500, so I'm sure Anthem is in Arcam league if not above it given all the people switching from the fmj 600 to the MRX and calling it an improvement.

Anthem has a heck of a following. No doubt. And those that post, love them. Key word though - post. Remember, too, Anthems are sold by EVERYBODY so you hear about them all the time, good reviews, etc. You can buy an Anthem anywhere around me, but only ONE guy sells CA in the whole state.

Not everyone gets the static. Seems to have been more a 700 problem than the others. Most complainers of MRX's had 700's, like me. I wonder how many people WILL get the static after a while. I never had it right away. I get the feeling we'll be hearing about MRX300/500/700's for years to come, and not for good reasons. I'd like to take credit for the term "my MRX went apesh!t crazy" now before others use it. One thing I've been seeing over there lately are a lot of posts about sending the MRX in for repair. Won't turn on. Power issues and such. Something I've suspected for a year or more.

Arcam 600/500 were something of a train wreck, unfortunately. I had two Arcam 400 for quite a while. I thought it was actually better than my Anthem MRX700(s). Clearer center channel, better video upscaling and actually better bass integration even without the aid of room correction. Both have airier upper end than CA, however. But the Arcam had a strange "chirping" noise I couldn't figure out at the time and I jumped ship.

One thing to pay attention to when you are comparing is the center channel. I've written about it before, so I won't bore you with it again, but it was VERY significant compared to Arcam and CA.

The other thing I noticed, is I "think" my upper end opened up a little on the 651r after a month or so. I know it sounds strange, but upper end is a big thing to me. I actually has treble up +2, until recently. Suddenly "S"'s seemed a little harsh, so I turned treble down.

I don't expect MRX people to flock to CA's. Just not enough flash and tech, for them. But I do wish more of them were open minded enough to realize that there are OTHER AVR's that are better than the Japanese brands most "discover" Anthem is SO much better than to begin with. Many act like if the MRX doesn't work out - back to a Japanese brand they will go - like there are NO other options.
11:17 AM Liked: 21
post #206 of 689
08-09-2013 | Posts: 386
Dean,

All of the upper end avr companies have had issues with their products Cambridge had major issues with the 650R and many on here said they didn't do anything about it, Arcam 500/600 were a mess so bad they had to stop making the 500 and pull the 600 out of china, NAD has had problems and not upper end but my HK was a riddled with problem and HK said to me they knew it had faulty amps and issues told me they would a new unit to the dealer and never did after that they wanted me and others to pay for their fault units when still under warranty, I wished HK gave mr half the after support you got with Anthem. Point is it seem all these upper avr have or had their issues and not something just on Anthem or have they been the worst offender. I also don't agree that Anyhems are sold everywhere, the closest anthem dealer to me is an hour and half away then 8 hours, Anthem doesn't allow online sales too, the Cambridge I bought was far easier to get than the Anthem as I just ad to cart and its in the mail. I'm looking forward to hearing both I'm hoping for the Cambridge to be better cause I love the low profile look and the solid built on them, I just find you post on and about Anthem on the harsh side and some of it far out from my prospective.
02:45 PM Liked: 11
post #207 of 689
08-09-2013 | Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Ah, you're in Germany. Love my Canton Ergo's. Not perfect, but one of the best tweeters I've ever heard. Open airy highs, clear, and never harsh. Listened to many speakers, some many many times more $$$. They are often better in many ways, but I always wonder the same thing -- what would they sound like with MY Canton tweeters. I think that really says something.
I've english :-) speakers from Kudos - Super 20, http://www.kudosaudio.com/en/loudspeakers/super20/. I'm very impressed by them and often have the feeling not to hear music but to bathe in it. But not all speakers from Kudos may have this quality. The best speaker manufacture is imho Dynaudio from Denmark.
02:56 PM Liked: 21
post #208 of 689
08-14-2013 | Posts: 386
Just got the 551R hooked up haven't played with it enough to have an opinion on it but so far doesn't sound that much better than the HK254 I'm wanting to replace, the 551R is clearer but l haven't noticed much difference in detail or soundstage or depth, biggest difference is the dialog at low levels its really clear, I've only played with it for 20 mins so not enough time to form an opinion on it, it's hasn't impressed me yet to justify it over the HK but I'll get a better feel tonight with it
03:00 PM Liked: 21
post #209 of 689
08-14-2013 | Posts: 386
Anyone else find the hdmi switch really slow and it seems to take time to lock on to the audio? I'm pretty surprised by this given its price and high quality built
rmunawar9's Avatar rmunawar9
03:04 PM Liked: 10
post #210 of 689
08-14-2013 | Posts: 85
Ryder125 CA AVRs need time to break in frown.gif at least 30-40hrs before they start producing the actual sound. So hang on you will experience the difference. Yes CA has this HDMI switch issue/problem or whatever you like to call it. it takes time to switch and lock the audio, you will get use to of it smile.gif.
I'm sure ultimately you will find it better than HK.
Tags: Cambridge Audio Azur 651r Home Cinema Receiver , Cambridge Audio Ltd , Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Azur 751r Black

Gear in this thread - 751r by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread