I need help deciding on new electronics for HT my budget is approximately $3000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to decide between an Integra 80.3 or Marantz 8801 with a used amp, I've seen Parasound Halo A52 for around $900. Or a receiver like Denon 4520ci, NAD T787, Pioneer SC68 with a 5 channel amp or not? I'm driving Definitive Technology BP2000 for L/R with def tech r/l/c 2000 center and def tech rears. My prior equipment was a Conrad-Johnson mf5600 and Lexicon DC-2 that worked without any issues for 12-14 years. I was happy with the sound.

I have not purchased any equipment since I acquired that equipment, I've been surfing the forums trying to get acquainted with the current equipment for a week and I'm pretty confused. I've never had a receiver before. What is worry some is all the problems members have reported with reliability. I read about people having units that fail or start malfunctioning in a short time frame. Has the equipment become so complicated that this is now a fact of life?

I am interested in having Audyssey MultEQ XT32 that I've never had before. I'm also seeing a lot about Emotiva amps that seem like a very good value. Will the XPA-5 sound as good as my former Conrad Johnson, and would it sound better than the amplifier section of the receivers I'm considering?

I understand my speakers are 8 ohm and the sensitivity is 90 Db. From what I understand that is not a difficult load to drive. My use is almost exclusively Directv or Internet streaming services.

I would appreciate some guidance from someone not trying to sell me equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasco999 View Post

Trying to decide between an Integra 80.3 or Marantz 8801 with a used amp, I've seen Parasound Halo A52 for around $900. Or a receiver like Denon 4520ci, NAD T787, Pioneer SC68 with a 5 channel amp or not? I'm driving Definitive Technology BP2000 for L/R with def tech r/l/c 2000 center and def tech rears. My prior equipment was a Conrad-Johnson mf5600 and Lexicon DC-2 that worked without any issues for 12-14 years. I was happy with the sound.
I have not purchased any equipment since I acquired that equipment, I've been surfing the forums trying to get acquainted with the current equipment for a week and I'm pretty confused. I've never had a receiver before. What is worry some is all the problems members have reported with reliability. I read about people having units that fail or start malfunctioning in a short time frame. Has the equipment become so complicated that this is now a fact of life?
I am interested in having Audyssey MultEQ XT32 that I've never had before. I'm also seeing a lot about Emotiva amps that seem like a very good value. Will the XPA-5 sound as good as my former Conrad Johnson, and would it sound better than the amplifier section of the receivers I'm considering?
I understand my speakers are 8 ohm and the sensitivity is 90 Db. From what I understand that is not a difficult load to drive. My use is almost exclusively Directv or Internet streaming services.
I would appreciate some guidance from someone not trying to sell me equipment.

Things sure have changed over the years, haven't they?

In the past 10 years, consumer electronics have steadily transitioned to more and more use of computer technology. This, along with efficiencies in mass production have led to a homogonization in HT products. Receivers are a great example of this.

Today's crop of receivers are very inexpensive, and pack huge amounts of features into little black boxes. They largely compete on feature set, since there's little other astetics to differentiate differences in performance.

In nearly any "high end" receiver today, you're going to get:

An amplifier that is rated at 140+ wpc, but realistically puts out 80 watts into all channels.
Up to 11.2 surround sound decoding... There's only 1 blu ray that currently supports this.
Internet connectivity (pandora for example)
Networking functions (ability to connect to other devices on your network)
Room correction of some sort

Since these receivers are mass produced, and competition is high, you get all this at a low cost.

The gap between "high end" and "midrange" is larger than ever.

Only companies like ARCAM and NAD seem to actually compete on quality. Often having to omit features to compete with the big boys on price.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

So would you go with a modern receiver with all these features or stick with older High end equipment? Does having room correcting features from Audessey make a big differences? I have been offered a Krell S-1000 processor (not upgraded to S-1200 which upgrade to HDMI 1.3 costs $4,500) and a Krell S-1500 5 channel amplifier for $4,000. Older high end equipment that looks very good to me- is this something to consider or will I get better sound and video performance with an Integra DHC-80.3 Surround Processor and DTA-70.1 Amplifier or an Emotiva amp or another modern receiver/amp combo?
post #4 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

What would I do? I have zero need for room correction.... I've already eq d my sub in room... And it's bass frequencies that make the largest difference. So audessey is useless to me. I also have zero need for 3d hdmi, networking, multiple zones, or pandora. I run a dedicated htpc that has all of this and more.

Since I don't need any of these features, the high end used route is very attractive. If it were my money, I'd go krell.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

I also have no interest in 3d or networking as almost all of my other devices have these features. HDMI switching through the tv is fine. Are you saying that the video processing offered by these units is not advantageous? Since almost all sources I watch are HD I don't understand what this would do for me. Your suggesting Krell for it inherent musicality and quality even though it is older, yes?
post #6 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also have no interest in 3d or networking as almost all of my other devices have these features. HDMI switching through the tv is fine. Are you saying that the video processing offered by these units is not advantageous? Since almost all sources I watch are HD I don't understand what this would do for me. Your suggesting Krell for it inherent musicality and quality even though it is older, yes?

The video processing offered by receivers is very poor. I haven't yet heard of a good one. Most people disable it.

I suggest you look at high quality used gear that you think sounds good.

You have the luxury of good speakers, that are efficient, easy to drive, and have built-in powered subwoofers. Nearly any amplifier will drive those speakers into very very very loud levels. Even cheap $199 receivers will do the trick.

IMO, find a processor you like and find an amp that you like on the used market. You can get some really quality stuff in your price range. The Krell combo you're considering is a quality choice, if you like the sound... go for it.

Craigslist, Audiogon, and eBay are all good places to shop for great deals.
jasco999 likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

How do you feel about the Emotiva XPA-5 Amp? Or the DTA-70.1 Amplifier?
post #8 of 10 Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Lexicon DC2 with DTS that works and I have an old Adcom GFA6000 and a Son of Ampzilla stereo amp that work- should I consider using any of these?
post #9 of 10 Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a Lexicon DC2 with DTS that works and I have an old Adcom GFA6000 and a Son of Ampzilla stereo amp that work- should I consider using any of these?

Absolutely!
post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I have a 7 channel system. I use and am very happy with an Integra dhc-80.2. Five of my 7 speakers are Definitive Technology. I drive them with a Rotel rmb-1095. I got it used, it does a great job driving the dt's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page