Best HDMI Swtiching configuration for 720p 3D content and Non-3D AVR (Onkyo TX-NR1007)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I currently have the following Sources, AVR, and Display:

Sources
TivoHD DVR (720p Output, SBS 3D from Comcast)
HTPC (720p or 1080p out, SBS 3D Content... AMD Athlon II X2, GeForce 210)
Sony BDP-S570 3D Blu-Ray Player (720p or 1080p out, Frame Packed 3D from Blu-Ray discs and Built-In Streaming)

AVR
Onkyo TX-NR1007 (HDMI 1.3)

Projector
Current: Panasonic PT-AX100u (720p, 2D)
Coming Soon: Vivitek D538W-3D (720p, 3D, accepts Frame Packed, Frame Sequential, and SBS 3D)

My AVR is a middle-to-higher end unit and I don't want to replace it just to be able to pass 3D video... if it can't pass the formats I'll be using, I think have some alternatives... but hopefully I can. I'm looking for the board's consensus on what sources I can and cannot pass through the AVR.

I currently have all three sources connected directly to the AVR via HDMI (24awg 3' Monoprice HDMI cables) and then on to the Projector (22awg 30' Monoprice HDMI cable, in-wall/ceiling). I'm about to make an upgrade to a 3D capable projector that can accept Frame Packed (Blu-Ray 3D), SBS (Comcast 3D, HTPC 3D Rips), and Frame Sequential (likely won't use) 3D formats. The Projector is only HDMI 1.3, but does accept all of these formats directly from their sources with no conversion hardware necessary (confirmed elsewhere here).

In theory, I feel like I should be able to pass the 720p SBS (full or half) and even 1080p Half SBS through the AVR as-is. My big question is whether my AVR will be able to pass 720p Frame Pakced 3D from the Blu-Ray player on to the projector, or will I need to bypass the AVR for that content?

Below are diagrams of my three possible layouts

All sources HDMI through AVR:

Blu-Ray Player HDMI Video Bypassing AVR w/ SPDIF/TOSLINK audio:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr1007 135 Watts 9 2 Channel Av Surround Home Network Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page