Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
HPQ
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
In the market for a new receiver but want to save me from doing mini upgrades and prepare for the next wave - 4K in a few years, so would it be best to get a 4K upscale receiver now or a 4K pass through receiver?

Granted, I would need a 4K TV later but say, this is possible in 5 years time, which 4K capable receiver would be good to get now?

I am leaning toward 4K pass through

Any thoughts?

From my limited understanding on the terms. Please correct me if I am incorrect. smile.gif

4K upscale - will upscale the incoming signal to 4K resolution but will not push native 4K signal through..

4K pass through - will essentially move the incoming (native 4k) signal to the 4K TV but no upscaling of non 4K signal being pushed through..

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 400
4K displays have to include their own upscaling since they'll have to be able to display lower resolution signals, so I'd tend to suggest a 4K passthrough device, even if it can't upscale. Also, there already are Blu-ray players available which include their own 4K upscaling. (e.g. Sony's BDP-S790).

While 4K projectors and displays from major manufacturers currently list for about $25K, it looks like their prices will be plummeting, since (supposedly) already there are 4K displays available in China at prices which are equivalent to less than $7K.

Selden
post #3 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Thanks Selden Ball for your input.

Yes, I also agree that 4K pass through would be best..

4K is the future so I want to be somewhat prepared..

Thanks once again! smile.gif

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

If future 4k displays (TV's) are going to have their own upscaling, then what is the point exactly of having a 4k upscaling receiver?  Why would you need that if the TV is going to do it's own upscaling?

I bought the Sony STR-DN840 receiver with pass-through and I think it will be fine in a year or two when I buy my 4k TV right?  

(Sony also has a STR-DN1040 with 4k upscaling, but I don't think I need it)

post #5 of 8 Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
Just as is the case with upscaling a 720p signal to a 1080p display, there are generally 3 devices in the chain that can do the upscaling ... the source device, the AVR, and the TV itself, just depends on which device does the better job as to which you end up using. Same will apply to 4K. However, note that unless you plan on getting a TV that is at least 85" or larger (or sit only 6' from the display of a smaller sized TV) or a PJ screen that is at least 100" or larger, the difference in quality between 4K and 1080p at a 10' seating distance will not likely be distinguishable.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 8 Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I think 4k compatibility would simply be one aspect of future-proofing? For it to be compatible with newer devices in 5 years' time, you would probably want an HDMI 2.0 spec receiver.

post #7 of 8 Old 12-30-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
If you're not buying a 4K TV until 5 years from now, other new features may be available by then.

Don't expect a current AVR to have everything you want 5 years from now.

Afro GT
post #8 of 8 Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

If you're not buying a 4K TV until 5 years from now, other new features may be available by then.

Don't expect a current AVR to have everything you want 5 years from now.

Agree, I wouldn´t buy an AVR receiver based on video features that will be available in 5 years. Better to decide which receiver to get based on AUDIO features, as (in my opinion) audio features remain pretty unchanged over the years, but video features evolve every 6 months or less.

Kind regards
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page