Most enveloping sound: Audyssey DSX with heights in ceiling, or Trinnov remapping? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I should not been doing that... but I'm still "looking" after getting a Denon 3312ci and I stumbled upon a few threads on the Sherwood 972. What I like about it is that it will do intelligently divert 2 amps to a second zone when in use, and it is the same price as the Denon. I am trying to figure out if the sound would be more enveloping using the Trinnov DSP than Audyssey's. I've been reading a lot in the user threads.

My layout is currently F, R, C and a subwoofer, and surround dipoles. However, the dipoles will be replaced by in-ceiling speakers (not dipole) as I don't want to have speakers hanging off my low (8') ceiling. I project on a wall and will put the F, R on stands to be at about the lower third of the "screen;" the center will stay under (I may consider wiring a ceiling "center" in parallel if it helps). My room is quite open with hardwood and a glass back wall.

I was thinking about putting 2 more in-ceiling speakers to get front heights as I don't have the room for rear surrounds. But I'm also really intrigued by all the good things said about the Sherwood 972 (besides the quirks). I don't need networking, I only use 2 HDMI inputs, I can do AirPlay through my Mac (loosing the small convenience of auto wakeup from the Denon), and it seems like the Sherwood would do everything I need now... So it gets to sound.

Which AVR would give me the best sound: Denon with extras heights in the ceiling or Trinnov with remapping? Is the Trinnov remapping in the 972 very sensitive to distances (we watch movies from a chair and couch on either side of that marble coffee table, so there is no "center" spot). What about stereo, which is my 80% use? What about lower volumes? I and the kids like the augmented detail of Dynamic EQ but when they play at night they can use a wireless 5.1 headset, and I've read that the Sherwood does a stellar job with dialogue clarity at low volumes?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page