Yamaha RXV995 Receiver - Value - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi- I bought the Yamaha RXV995 receiver 8+ years ago and it served me well for the time. Just recently I noticed that the sound output from the right front channel was low; inspite of increasing the volume, it is just barely audible. My question is:

1) is it worth spending money to repair this or find a used receiver in the AVS classifieds ? My use is moderate and i don't want to go for another new one spending 1000+

2) If if I buy a used one, what is the value of this faulty receiver ? Probably heavy junk - but just wanted to check with you experts to see if there is any alternative use or market for this.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-04-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I wouldn't fix it. If you just want a basic, little surround sound receiver, go spend $150-$200 bucks on something new. You'll get HDMI and all the new audio codecs as well as a bunch of other bells and whistles that your old receiver didn't have. There's definitely no sense in fixing your old one though. It would probably cost you more to fix it than it would to just spend the $150-$200 bucks on a new receiver, assuming you could even diagnose the problem or get the parts that you need. I'm sure an audio shop could fix it, but you'd end up spending more than it's worth, most likely. That, and be being it's 8 years old, you could go and fix it and have it end up crapping out on you again. Not worth the hassle.

As for the value of your old receiver, you might get $20 bucks for the parts if someone on craigslist or E-Bay just happened to want it. Personally, I don't think it's worth your time. I'd give it away or toss it in the garbage.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page