3312 Firmware Updates - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay folks... Would appreciate some advice specific to this receiver...

I bought this receiver about 4 months ago and have very much enjoyed it since, mostly for Pandora... There was a little glitch this past week as Pandora made some programming changes that rendered the receiver unable to connect to the Pandora service, for which I've read a firmware update will be coming on the 11th.

Here's the rub... Even when I bought the receiver brand new and attempted a firmware update out of the box, nothing ever happened... Oh sure, I got the screen that said there was an update available and that it would take approximately 32 minutes to complete. Went on to the "Please Wait... Authenticating...." screen and .... nothing...

I have done a microprocessor reset... I have taken the switch out of the network path and connected the receiver directly to the router... I have even taken the router out of the equation and connected the receiver directly to the cable modem. All power resets followed by these actions above result in the same.... nothing....

I don't get it...

I've heard the firmware server(s) are in Japan... Big deal... Not sure why this would be an issue....

Aside from the awesomeness of having 3 zones, the major reason I use this receiver is for Pandora... If I can't get the firmware update to work, that makes the receiver pretty much useless to me...

I suppose I can take it in to an authorized service center so they can, I guess do the firmware update via the maintenance mode feature but I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around not being able to get the update working the way it's supposed to work...

Anyone else have had a similar firmware issue in the past? What was your resolution?

Would much appreciate any insight or constructive advice you may have.

Thanks!

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Review posts #3-6 in the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread to include the below post specifically regarding the firmware update process.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#post_20422390

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 22 Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks... i should have mentioned that I did that already... was looking for more specific insight...

I did try something new, which was to bypass the "Check for Update" in favor of just starting the update.. At least there, I get a "Connection Failed" message, which I suppose is a step in the right direction...

Seems so stupid for a company to not provide alternate ways of updating something as critical as firmware...

Oh well...
post #4 of 22 Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasro View Post

Thanks... i should have mentioned that I did that already... was looking for more specific insight...
I did try something new, which was to bypass the "Check for Update" in favor of just starting the update.. At least there, I get a "Connection Failed" message, which I suppose is a step in the right direction...
Seems so stupid for a company to not provide alternate ways of updating something as critical as firmware...
Oh well...
I brought this in Jan 12 and from day one I am not able to get the firmware update done. I have tried all possible methods mentioned in the original post#3-6 including bypassing check for update option. Contacted Denon couple of times and they downplayed blaming my network, ISP etc. I am a network guy for the last 13+ years and I am sure that is not the case. However, now the matter is going to get worse as Pandora quit working and they are releasing the firmware update for that on Dec 11, 2012. I am sure I will not be able to update the firmware.

I have even took the receiver to my other two friends homes and tried it there as well. Same failure everywhere. Called service center and they do not update firmware, they do only repair. They have asked me to contact Denon itself. Will do that first thing in the morning and let see what other craps they will come up with. If I knew Denon was a company without a proper firmware server and lacking of customer service, I would have gone for Yamaha 33xx or so. So pissed of right now!
post #5 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Are you using a direct wired connection to the router/modem as recommended each time you have attempted the update either at your home or your friend's homes? Have you tried the "Network Reset" procedure listed in post #5 of the XX12 Owner's thread (see below)? Try doing it a few times in a row. Also confirm the service center is aware you are referring to a "network" model rather than a non-network model as most repair centers don't have the necessary "jig" to update non-network models. To help further troubleshoot your issue, what specific message are you getting on the AVR when attempting to update.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#post_20422055

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #6 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 AM

^^
Yes I am doing wired connection to the router and each time I did at my friends' homes I did the same. Yes I tried the network reset option as advised in this forum by pressing standby and preset1+preset2 method. Yes I have been doing this since this afternoon (it is 3am right now, still trying to get it done). I followed the steps #5 and I made the service center person I talked to that I am talking about 3312ci model. Tomorrow again I am going to talk to Denon tech support (which I do not have any more trust). Last time it was they downplayed blaming my ISP lol. I can see in February they have issued another firmware update for the same problem I am having now:
6. 2/6/12
- Firmware update is impossible, and the error message of "Connection Fail 25" is displayed.
Yes, I am getting both errors; indefinite wait with the message "authenticating" and "connection fail 25" alternatively.

Any input to resolve this issue is much appreciated guys smile.gif Thank you for the quick response jdsmoothie smile.gif
post #7 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 AM
585-645-1006

AFAIK, the Denon CSRs (a 3rd party outsourced company based out of Texas) are generally not aware of the Denon firmware update changelogs (in fact some have commented to others they review my post #5 to see what has changed. eek.gif ). If you do call them back, be sure to point the CSR to that post where it specifically indicates your issue was resolved with a firmware update.

It would seem you're going to need to have your unit repaired by an authorized repair facility in order to perform the firmware update. If you don't have any local repair shops in your area, consider shipping to another nearby facility that CAN do the update/repair work or to the factory repair facility at PanurgyOEM in NJ. You don't need to contact Denon when dealing directly with a repair facility as long as you can provide a copy of the proof of purchase to show the unit was purchased at a Denon authorized reseller.

post #8 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Oddly enough, I did get the last firmware update to complete successfully this past Saturday. Not sure what I did, aside from skipping the "Check for Update" step and just proceed to "Start Update". Matt Good suggested that I turn the source to something other than "Net/USB". This is the typical source I use since I mainly use the receiver for Pandora.

I'm not sure what source I had selected at the time the update completed successfully, but I will make sure I change the source when I process the firmware update this weekend when I get home.

Just a thought and something else to try before taking in for service.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

AFAIK, the Denon CSRs (a 3rd party outsourced company based out of Texas) are generally not aware of the Denon firmware update changelogs (in fact some have commented to others they review my post #5 to see what has changed. eek.gif ). If you do call them back, be sure to point the CSR to that post where it specifically indicates your issue was resolved with a firmware update.

Yes, that is a good point. I spoke to Denon Support today and after a lot of back n forth conversation (you know they always try to downplay to admit there is an issue), I pointed out the firmware they have issued on 6th Feb. 12 to address the "Connection Fail 25" and also reminded them that I called back in Jan 12 to report the issue. They finally came to conclusion that the network card might be the culprit and advised me to send it for service. The closest service center is 30 minutes away from me and I am going to take it there today. I am also going to take a print out of the change log of firmware update so that they will understand the issue better, if they not aware of it yet.

@jonasro, lucky you! smile.gif Check for today's update if you can get it. Actually all I am concerned about is today's update as it is necessary to work Pandora. Otherwise I would not have even bothered to update the receiver as everything else works just fine.

Update: 3:45PM PST.

I was going to take the receiver to Denon Service center which is 30 miles away. But when I checked the purchase receipt I found I had purchased BestBuy Geeksqaud protection on the receiver. So took it to best buy store which is 4 miles away and gave it for service. I have explained them the problem and Denon tech's observation about the possibly bad network card. They gave me a turnaround time of 14 days. So the wait is on... Will update as soon as I get it back from service. Thanks again for all your help guys!cool.gif
post #10 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

@jacobshome - I'm away on a business trip thru Thursday but will be attempting the latest update to fix pandora when I get home. Will post back on my results. Good luck with the geek squad!!
post #11 of 22 Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasro View Post

Oddly enough, I did get the last firmware update to complete successfully this past Saturday. Not sure what I did, aside from skipping the "Check for Update" step and just proceed to "Start Update". Matt Good suggested that I turn the source to something other than "Net/USB". This is the typical source I use since I mainly use the receiver for Pandora.
I'm not sure what source I had selected at the time the update completed successfully, but I will make sure I change the source when I process the firmware update this weekend when I get home.
Just a thought and something else to try before taking in for service.

@jonasro : thanks for the f/w update tip. i went to update from "Tuner" source mode & choose "Start Update". some sources (i.e "CD", "TV") will not allow you to go to Menu. after waiting at "...Authenticating" for about 10 minutes, the update began.
hope other 3312 owners will success updating and get Pandora back.
jonasro likes this.
post #12 of 22 Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM

Any happy campers here with latest Pandora fix? Mine is still with geeksquad for probable network card replacement.
post #13 of 22 Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

@jacobshome - updated successfully yesterday. Took all of 5 minutes, including the 1-2 minutes to authenticate.

Listening to Pandora now. :-)
post #14 of 22 Old 12-19-2012, 11:37 AM

Cool smile.gif I have 10 more days to go frown.gif

Update: 12/20/2012
Today geeksquad gave up on the service and sent ti to Rockaway NJ (Denon's service HQ) for possible repair or replacement. Oh boy, the receiver was actually bad than I thought! Guess I will be without receiver for another few weeks mad.gif
post #15 of 22 Old 12-26-2012, 02:33 AM

same problem here with my 3312ci.wont update my firmware.i tried everything in this thread and in the official avr thread.keep getting connection failed 25.gonna have to call denon tomorrow.
maybe the denon server is only open certain days and time?
this sucks ,i want my pandora.
thx
post #16 of 22 Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 AM
585-645-1006

Have you been able to install the other firmware updates released prior to the Pandora release?

post #17 of 22 Old 12-26-2012, 07:10 PM

i have never installed any updated firmware. everything was working perfectly so i figure why try to update if it aint broken.then last week i noticed that pandora stopped working.i tried calling denon today and they are closed due to adverse weather.maybe this has something to do with my problem not connecting.
post #18 of 22 Old 12-27-2012, 04:59 AM
585-645-1006

Pandora changed how AVRs connect to their servers a few weeks ago, which required the AVR mfr's to release a firmware update to resolve the issue. However, if you review post #6 in the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread below you'll note that some 3312s were unable to receive firmware updates and a firmware update was released to resolve this issue. If this is the case with your unit and it was purchased prior to Feb or otherwise doesn't have that update installed, you may need to send it to an authorized repair facility to get the update, although prior to doing that, I would suggest trying the tips in that post for a few more days to try and get your unit to install the updates on its own.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#post_20422390

post #19 of 22 Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 PM

called denon today and was told to reset my denon and try again.so i did like before and still had a connection fail.the person wasnt nice and was very sarcastic.i think his name was chris??i try to call again tomorrow maybe ill get someone else on the phone.horrible horrible customer service from denon.wish i didnt buy this POS.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaka1 View Post

called denon today and was told to reset my denon and try again.so i did like before and still had a connection fail.the person wasnt nice and was very sarcastic.i think his name was chris??i try to call again tomorrow maybe ill get someone else on the phone.horrible horrible customer service from denon.wish i didnt buy this POS.
Denon customer care is absolutely crap. They don't give a crap on what the issues are, neither they admit their product has any flaws. I had to call them few times for the same firmware issue and at last they tried to blame my ISP. Finally I had to tell them that this is a known issue with xx12 series as I learned from avsforums, he told me to take it to the service center. I think there is only one guy to deal with customer care, and I guess he hates his job. Every time I called it was the same person, I forgot his name. There is not even a formal apology for the inconvenience and multiple calls I had to make them for the same issues. No customer care ethics whatsoever.

Mine is still with their NJ service center and no ETA yet. I sent it through Geeksquad and they said they did not hear anything from denon yet. I have the same feeling as you, if I knew their customer care was like this I would have never bought this POS. It is more than 3 weeks since mine went for service. One more week, then I can ask for a refund from GS. In any case this is my last Denon!
post #21 of 22 Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 PM

Guys,
I'm having exactly the same problem. Spoke with Denon. They try to convince me that there is a problem with MY connection and I should connect the receiver directly to the modem. So far pretty much everything works perfectly with the receiver except the firmware update and as some of you mentioned Pandora not working.
Now, the next step is me shipping the unit to Denon. How long does it take them to fix such problem? I'd like to have my receiver back ASAP.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM
585-645-1006

Have you even tried connecting the unit directly to the modem with a wired connection as suggested by Denon and as written in the Owner's manual? If not, there's likely nothing to repair as it is most likely an issue with your wireless router.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page