No sound from sub-woofer - Onkyo TX-NR414 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just two front speakers and a sub-woofer Fostex PM-SUBn. Neither FM-radio, PC nor HDMI give an output at the sub jack. Configured the settings to sub=yes. Read something about LFE-information in the manual p58 - but I have never heard of this. What is it?
Please help asap.
Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by karls0 View Post

I have just two front speakers and a sub-woofer Fostex PM-SUBn. Neither FM-radio, PC nor HDMI give an output at the sub jack. Configured the settings to sub=yes. Read something about LFE-information in the manual p58 - but I have never heard of this. What is it?
Please help asap.
Karl

Have you set your two front speakers to "small"? If not the only time you'll get a signal to the sub is when playing source material with a dedicated LFE channel. Try setting the two speakers as small and setting the crossover to 80 hz or so. That way all frequencies below 80hz will be rerouted to the sub regardless of audio signal format.

Steve S.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hi Steve,
thank You for the quick answer. After checking everything according to your tips (it was already set), I turned the sub's volume fully up - and now it works. I did try the sub on another amp, and it worked perfectly with a low volume setting - so I forgot about it mad.gif I did not find it in the manual, that the front speakers have to be set to small for the sub to work.

Can You explain, what LFE means. What sources can deliver the "LFE-channel"? Do I get it when listening to FM?

Thanks,
Karl
post #4 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 02:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 348
LFE is low frequency effects.

A source with a dedicated .1 channel will send signals to the subwoofer. That could come from Blu Ray, DVD, HDTV with a Dolby 5.1 signal or even games.

FM radio, CD's, MP3's and stereo signals do not have a dedicated LFE channel. So in order for the subvwoofer to kick in the front speakers must be set to small.

If you have to turn the subwoofer volume all the way up then your receiver is probably not configured correctly. It doesn't look like this model uses Audyssey room calibration like the NR515 and higher models. But I think this receiver does still send test tones to each speaker. I have a hunch the subwoofer channel level is really low on the receiver in comparison to other speakers. You should check that in the setup menu.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr414
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page