Turn off unused channels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hello all,
I'd like to know if it is possible to turn off unused speaker channel and sub on the Yamaha A2000?

I am currently running 2 VA Mozart Grand as fronts; 1 VA Maestro as Center; 2 Klipsch icon speakers as surround; 1 REL sub. Basically I am only using 5.1. I feel like the receiver is under power.

Is it possible to TURN OFF the unused speaker channels and sub?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Not knowing the Yamaha in particular it is usually not possible to turn off unused channels / power amps completely within an AVR / amp because of technical reasons.
They will stay powered on.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqa4life View Post

Hello all,
I'd like to know if it is possible to turn off unused speaker channel and sub on the Yamaha A2000?

I am currently running 2 VA Mozart Grand as fronts; 1 VA Maestro as Center; 2 Klipsch icon speakers as surround; 1 REL sub. Basically I am only using 5.1. I feel like the receiver is under power.

Thanks

even if you could (which you can't), it wouldn't accomplish anything... there is no load on the unused amplifiers, so they are only using a TINY amount of power to idle... and i'm not sure what you think you would accomplish by disabling the sub out....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks

Not sure what you mean, but you can turn off the individual channels and subwoofer output in the AVR's menu.

The individual channel power amplifiers of the unused channels will still have power applied to them with no input signal, but that will use up almost no power when there is no signal being input into the channel.

How do you connect the subwoofer to your system?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:

Hello all,

Your question only makes sense if you don't have the user's manual. If the manual somehow mystified you, you would have logically refereed to it in your question.

You can download the Yamaha owner's manual here:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a2000_black__u/

The answer to your question has a number of possibilities, which are covered starting on page 111.

You might also run YPAO so that it can help you with this question (page 41).
post #6 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks

even if you could (which you can't), it wouldn't accomplish anything... there is no load on the unused amplifiers, so they are only using a TINY amount of power to idle... and i'm not sure what you think you would accomplish by disabling the sub out....

Good point.

I think the key to the proper answer to this question related to his presumably emotionally-based belief that the receiver is "under powered".

Wanna bet money that an audiophile friend with a more expensive system or a dealer is behind all this? ;-)
post #7 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

yup arny, you caught my inference to his "underpowered" line... i would wager that 99.99% of all posters who "feel" they are underpowered are likely already well "overpowered" for their actual usage... wink.gif

that would be a safe bet... might as well add in "reading audiophile magazines/blogs/postings without engaging the editorial bs subroutine in the brain", and complete the troika of the usual suspects... biggrin.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page