H/K AVR 1700 and PS3 Issues--Please Help!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a relative noob to quality home theatre equipment. My wife and I just purchased a Harman Kardon AVR 1700 to go along with a klipsch 5.1 setup and Sony Bravia 46" 240hz Class-LED 3D TV. We have our cable box going into an HDMI input in the AVR as well as the PS3. The TV is hooked up via the HDMI ARC. Everything is working flawlessly, EXCEPT when we try to use our PS3 to watch netflix, play a CD, etc. The best way to describe it is that it seems like the signal from the PS3 skips or cuts out for a second or two and then comes back in. At first, we thought it was the receiver. We exchanged it for a new receiver. It happened again, and we thought it might be the HDMI cable, so we bought a brand new, top-of-the-line monster cable. It still does it. I called H/K tech support and tried a processor reset on the AVR. It still does it.

Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to fix it?!?!

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 11:32 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Have you tried connecting the PS3 to each of the other HDMI inputs to see if one works better than the current one in use? Also on the PS3, set the "Deep Color Output" setting to OFF.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 13 Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Faulty HDMI port? I would set your PS3 to output in RGB only and set audio to linear PCM 2ch, and try Ycb Pb PR output to see if that helps. Some receivers can't accept all video/sound formats.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
post #4 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

Faulty HDMI port? I would set your PS3 to output in RGB only and set audio to linear PCM 2ch, and try Ycb Pb PR output to see if that helps. Some receivers can't accept all video/sound formats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Have you tried connecting the PS3 to each of the other HDMI inputs to see if one works better than the current one in use? Also on the PS3, set the "Deep Color Output" setting to OFF.

Not saying that Deep Color isn't what is tripping up the A/V receiver, but according to the product description on Amazon, the 1700 can handle Deep Color.
Quote:
HDMI inputs with 3D and Deep Color 3D movies play as vividly and realistically in your home as they would in a movie theater, thanks to the AVR 1700's advanced HDMI connectivity.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM

HI, Im curious to know if you have figured this problem out?

I am having the exact same issue, I have tried using a different input on the AVR, Changing HDMI Cables, and same issue. Also, Tried changing different ports on the TV (Samsung 50' 6000 series LED 3D) So, If I go strait from the PS3 to the tv, Problem solved.

So, My next assessment is maybe the PS3 is changing video output settings. So, Im going to go to video output settings and do it manually (on the ps3) and only check box the 1080P box. vs. if ps3 does a search it check boxes from 1080p all the way down to 720P. Im not sure if this is the issue, but I hope.. Im very frustrated. mad.gif
post #6 of 13 Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 PM

Liked: 12
Within PS3, there should be a settings through which you can set your AVRs capability, like what format it can decode and accept. Set it as per the AVRs spec. AVR1700 doesnt support ARC, so its a moot point if you connect the TV ARC to 1700 or not. And last but not all set HDMI control to off in AVR 1700. I don't trust that feature, and most likely is the cause of lot of HDMI issues.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-24-2013, 04:07 PM

I also picked up an H/K AVR 1700 recently and had the problem with the PS3. It seems to be a common issue.

In my case, the solution was the same as what has already been pointed out: Turn off Deep Color on the Playstation.

Hopefully there is a firmware update that can fix the problem. I'll put up with it for now since I paid the sale price and picked up a four year warranty for it.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolli1 View Post

I also picked up an H/K AVR 1700 recently and had the problem with the PS3. It seems to be a common issue.

In my case, the solution was the same as what has already been pointed out: Turn off Deep Color on the Playstation.

Hopefully there is a firmware update that can fix the problem. I'll put up with it for now since I paid the sale price and picked up a four year warranty for it.

Thanks for sharing your findings. I, along with some other folks on the SlickDeals forum, have been trying to troubleshoot this issue as well. I ordered a different HDMI cable (Blue Rigger) to run from my PS3 to my receiver. I got the cables this afternoon. Swapped out the one between my PS3 and my receiver. Watched Alien vs. Predator 2 with DEEP COLOR ON. No issues for the 45 minutes or so that I watched it. I'd watch for five minutes or so, then fast forward. Watch five minutes or so, then fast forward (it seemed to me in the past that FF'ing or RW'ing would cause hiccups). I then played Behind Enemy Lines. Good for the first 10 minutes or so, then got a brief flicker and then it was fine again. The bad news? It flickered. The good news? It was VERY brief and in the past, once it started flickering, it would do it at random intervals from that point forward -- until I changed inputs back and forth or powered it off and back on to re-handshake the HDMI. This time, with the new cable, it just did it the one time and didn't do it again despite me watching another 10 minutes or so of footage.

I wouldn't say that it is conclusive evidence as my sample size is somewhat small, but it does seem that the cable helped a bit. I haven't had a chance to test with DEEP COLOR completely OFF. But based on your post/findings, it seems like that can solve it completely.

I was just hoping to take full advantage of everything I've paid for. My Sony TV can handle DC. The PS3 can do it (naturally). The receiver said it can handle it. I figured if an el cheapo HDMI cable that was freaking out the receiver when it was passing DC data was the culprit, I'd be willing to spend a few bucks on a better one if I could get around the issue. My old Sony receiver never had this issue, so it's either how the receiver handles Deep Color and/or you need something better than a monoprice $1 HDMI cable to avoid freaking your receiver out when it handles DC.

Again, appreciate your post. I'll relay your findings to the folks at SD. And yes, hopefully a FW update will help alleviate this for good.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Edge View Post

I wouldn't say that it is conclusive evidence as my sample size is somewhat small, but it does seem that the cable helped a bit. I haven't had a chance to test with DEEP COLOR completely OFF. But based on your post/findings, it seems like that can solve it completely.

I was just hoping to take full advantage of everything I've paid for. My Sony TV can handle DC. The PS3 can do it (naturally). The receiver said it can handle it. I figured if an el cheapo HDMI cable that was freaking out the receiver when it was passing DC data was the culprit, I'd be willing to spend a few bucks on a better one if I could get around the issue. My old Sony receiver never had this issue, so it's either how the receiver handles Deep Color and/or you need something better than a monoprice $1 HDMI cable to avoid freaking your receiver out when it handles DC.

Again, appreciate your post. I'll relay your findings to the folks at SD. And yes, hopefully a FW update will help alleviate this for good.

Just to report back, I went ahead and ordered two Mediabridge HDMI cables off of Amazon that are, reportedly, the latest spec. I used one to replace the generic cable from my PS3 to the AVR, and the other replaced an Amazon Basics cable that I had also recently purchased. I wasn't expecting that simple of a change to make a difference, but it seems to have solved the problem. Setting the PS3 back to Deep Color -- Automatic mode no longer results in the video dropping out.

It could be a fluke or it could just be that the PS3 hasn't turned Deep Color on, but for now I'm hoping that it was indeed just the mismatched or poor quality cables all along.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolli1 View Post

Just to report back, I went ahead and ordered two Mediabridge HDMI cables off of Amazon that are, reportedly, the latest spec. I used one to replace the generic cable from my PS3 to the AVR, and the other replaced an Amazon Basics cable that I had also recently purchased. I wasn't expecting that simple of a change to make a difference, but it seems to have solved the problem. Setting the PS3 back to Deep Color -- Automatic mode no longer results in the video dropping out.

It could be a fluke or it could just be that the PS3 hasn't turned Deep Color on, but for now I'm hoping that it was indeed just the mismatched or poor quality cables all along.

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I have watched upwards of seven hours of PS3 programming with my "better cables" with Deep Color on and have only had one flicker...so yeah, it seems like the HK doesn't play well with Deep Color and cheap cables.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For those of you with problems, what PS3 do you have?

My setup works fine and I have the PS3 Slim. Not the even slimmer ones that are the latest, but not the glossy fat one either.

I use the PS3 as my primary disk based media player and for games.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbhuda View Post

For those of you with problems, what PS3 do you have?

My setup works fine and I have the PS3 Slim. Not the even slimmer ones that are the latest, but not the glossy fat one either.

I use the PS3 as my primary disk based media player and for games.

I have a non-launch fat PS3.

Your cables might be "good enough" where the problem doesn't show up.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 PM

Interesting- I am using ARC with my HK 1700 as it has this capability and worka with Smart tv's enabled with ARC mode.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors