HDMI and analog output at the same time? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer SC-05 that has as one of it's inputs a DVR that is connected via HDMI. The SC-05 is connected via HDMI to my Pioneer Pro-151FD display/TV. I have a need to get the audio output of any source the SC-05 sending to the TV also sent via RCA jacks. I've concluded that the CD-R/Tape Out jacks don't work when I'm watching a cable channel or any other HDMI input to the SC-05, (BluRay, Xbox).

1. Is the SC-05 capable of this?
2. I've seen some information on HDMI splitters/switches, (I'm not clear if I need a splitter or a switch), but essentially it needs to pass through the HDMI to the TV and also have two L & R RCA jacks on it.

Can anyone provide me any direction here?

PS: in case you're trying to figure out the reason for this, I'm at the age now where I used hearing aids. As a part of my hearing aids, there is a small box that sits next to the receiver that has L & R RCA input jacks on it. The concept is that it transmits via Bluetooth sound that is being sent through the receiver directly to the Bluetooth receivers in the hearing aids. That's why I need to simultaneously get analog audio out of the SC-05. Note: there isn't any sound coming out of the TV, all sound comes from the speakers tied to the SC-05. In fact, as far as I can tell, the audio out jacks on the back of the Pro-151FD don't have any signal on them. Is that because of the HDMI input?

Need direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
No AV receiver I know of will convert HDMI audio to analogue and outptut it from its Rec out, AV out, monitor out or similar line level analogue output jacks. However any AV receiver will output HDMI audio through its pre-out jacks. Not all receivers have pre-out jacks, but your SC-05 does. If you connect your hearing-aid box to the front left/right pre-out jacks then you'll be able to hear the same audio as gets sent to your front speakers.

Be careful if you do this however. The output of the pre-out jacks is volume controled just like your speakers. If the receiver's volume is too high it can cause clipping and maybe even damage the hearing-aid box and/or your hearing.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
Also note that when using the FL/FR pre-outs, remember to set the surround mode to STEREO, otherwise, there will be very little dialogue heard through the hearing aids as the majority of the dialogue is sent to the center channel when using DD/DTS 5.1 modes. Another option is to also connect the sources with analog (red/white) cables as well to the AVR, with the analog outputs going to the blue tooth transmitter.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 5 Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you all for your feedback. The last suggestion about hooking my hearing aid box to the audio outs of my cable DVR has a lot of merit. Since I watch cable more frequently than my Blu-Ray player and Netflix through my Xbox, that makes sense. I then began to think about using a "Y" cable to connect both my DVR and my Blu-Ray player together with the bottom portion of the "Y" going to the hearing aid box. But, I don't think that will work because my DVR box is always on when the TV is on because the switched electrical outlet on the DVR controls a cooling fan for the cabinet. Therefore, I would be either getting audio simultaneously from the DVR and the Blu-Ray which wouldn't be pleasant and, (not sure), maybe potentially hurting the audio inputs for the DVR & Blu-Ray.

It seems to me that the best option is finding a box that has an HDMI input from the SC-05 and a HDMI output, (I'll call it a HDMI pass-through from the SC-05), AND a pair of RCA audio jacks. Do you know of such a device? Also, I tried hooking my hearing aid box up to the RCA audio out jacks on the Pioneer Pro-151FD display and I didn't get anything. Is that because the input is HDMI? This is a similar issue to why the SC-05's RCA out jacks don't work when the HDMI inputs/outputs are being used?

Thanks for your help,

Chuck
post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckColeman View Post

It seems to me that the best option is finding a box that has an HDMI input from the SC-05 and a HDMI output, (I'll call it a HDMI pass-through from the SC-05), AND a pair of RCA audio jacks. Do you know of such a device? Also, I tried hooking my hearing aid box up to the RCA audio out jacks on the Pioneer Pro-151FD display and I didn't get anything. Is that because the input is HDMI? This is a similar issue to why the SC-05's RCA out jacks don't work when the HDMI inputs/outputs are being used?

I think that what you will find is two boxes - a HDMI splitter and a HDMI-to-analog converter.

Google is your friend!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page