is it ok to split preamp out multiple times? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two center speakers (Def tech CLR-3000's), and each of them have three sets of binding posts (lows, mids, highs). I want to run preamp out to six different monoblock amps to seperately feed all six sets of binding posts. But, that would mean that I would be coming out of my receiver preamp out with a Y-adapter with three outs, then each of them would go to another Y-adapter with two outs. This would allow me to go from one preamp out, to three preamp outs, to six preamp outs. At what point is the signal going to be negatively impacted? These speakers were clearly made for this sort of thing, howerver, since I have two of them, that complicates things. And yes, I do want two center speakers for those who want to ask that question. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The multiple binding posts on all speakers is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.
There is NO benefit doing passive bi-,tri-amping. You are just throwing away money on extra amps.

As for running dual centers, not a good idea if placing in a horizontal plane. You get comb filtering
Now if you want to place one above, below the screen, then you bring the projected dialog to the center, w/o producing comb filtering. In the above/below setup you will only notice CF when you stand up from being seated. Or vice versa.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricksull View Post

At what point is the signal going to be negatively impacted?

It depends on the preamp output impedance and the parallel load of the power amp input impedances. A general rule of thumb is to maintain at least 10:1 load to source impedance. IOW, if the preamp output impedance was 250 ohms then the combined parallel load of the power amps should be 2500 ohms or more.

To get your specific answer you'd need to know those numbers.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors