I have awful dirty power. What's a good Power Conditioner / Surge Protector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I live in the mountains & have extremely dirty power & constant surges. I've had it kill one TV, 2 amps, a DVR & even a heat pump. Brownouts & blackouts are a common occurrence for me. To make matters worse my house is full of fluorescent lighting which contaminates the power lines from inside as well, apparently.

I recently watched the newest episode of "Home Theater Geeks" where Scott Wilkinson interviewed Garth Powell (Furman Sound engineer) and Marshall Currier (Panamax trainer) & realized that I would probably benefit greatly from a good surge protector / power conditioner.

My system includes:

1. Sony KDL-55HX850 55" edge lit 3D HDTV
  2. Marantz 1602 7.1 Receiver
  3. 120V 500 Watt Cambridge Soundworks powered Sub
  4. Sony Playstation 3 (old big model)
  5. Microsoft Xbox 360 (old power hungry model)
  6. Denon CD player (I can retire this & use the PS3 if I have to)
  7. 2x DirecTV HR34 (5 tuner) DVR set-top boxes
  8. 550W HTPC

I would like to be able to plug all this in as I think I have a ground loop problem as well & if I understand correctly putting everything through one power manager could help with that.

Amazon has some Monster Power surge protectors / power conditioners pretty cheap. They look like the old models. From doing some quick searching it looks like Panamax is considered more reliable than Monster though & I don't want to put my system at risk, so I'd rather pay more as long as I'm getting better quality.

Some even have battery backups, but most of those look out of my price range. I would like it to also be a power conditioner as opposed to just a surge protector. $300-500 would be where I would be comfortable but I can go higher if the protection / performance gain is really tangible.

Much thanks. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I bought this APC unit: http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=H15BLK from Amazon back in June for under $300, but they're not offering it there anymore. I have problems with power at my house also (my receiver somehow went dead; I'm blaming it on a power issue, but luckily I was eventually able to revive it) and this unit seems to be doing the job. APC is still stocking it so you should probably be able to get a good price for it somewhere. It's rack mountable, but in my use it's sitting at the bottom of my TV cabinet. Produces little to no heat, so ventilation isn't an issue.

Please don't confront me with my failures, I'm aware of them. - Greg Allman
post #3 of 27 Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM

Liked: 18
Panamax or Furman is only thing I will put on my equipment.
Spartan 1771 likes this.

Ignorance is a choice
post #4 of 27 Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 AM

Liked: 17
Powervar ... medical grade ups systems .. no frills and high quality. cool.gif

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
post #5 of 27 Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

I bought this APC unit: http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=H15BLK from Amazon back in June for under $300, but they're not offering it there anymore. I have problems with power at my house also (my receiver somehow went dead; I'm blaming it on a power issue, but luckily I was eventually able to revive it) and this unit seems to be doing the job. APC is still stocking it so you should probably be able to get a good price for it somewhere. It's rack mountable, but in my use it's sitting at the bottom of my TV cabinet. Produces little to no heat, so ventilation isn't an issue.
That looks interesting. It doesn't say it's UL 1449 though, which is something I think I'll need given the intensity of the surges I get here. Right now I have my DVRs & TV & Amp hooked into two separate APC Back-UPS 450 units, which are really meant more for computers, but are a temporary protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adupree View Post

Panamax or Furman is only thing I will put on my equipment.
What reason(s) caused you to like Panamax or Furman so much?

Until recently I knew almost nothing about the subject, but it looks like UL 1449 is important for my situation & Panamax has that which I like. Furman might be out of my price range, as according the podcast they said Panamax is better until about $700, which is more than I'm willing to spend (unless I absolutely had to in order to safeguard my system, which I don't think is the case).
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post

Powervar ... medical grade ups systems .. no frills and high quality. cool.gif
That sounded familiar and I found something similar in a amazon review for a Monster unit
Code:
This review is from: Monster MP HTS 1600 8-Outlet Power Center with Stage 2 Clean Power (Electronics)
Monster, Belkin, APC, Tripp Lite.....all the same. Better than nothing, but not as good as what modern systems need. If you want TRUE power conditioning, then you need to buy a box with an ISOLATION TRANSFORMER which costs more and will be larger, but it's better surge protection and doesn't let through any ground-line noise - PERFECT GROUND REFERENCE!
Only two that I know of that make this type of power conditioner: ONEAC and POWERVAR....I have one of each and no power problems at all. Found them at [...]

I'm not an electrician or electrical engineer so "Isolation Transformer" doesn't really mean anything to me. I'm guessing it's a high end way to condition power, but I don't know if they're power conditioners are meant for home theatres.

Here's their site http://www.powervar.com/products.php

They must be well made, since they're designed to provide clean power to medical instruments; but again I know very little about the different needs of types of electronic equipment; so I don't know if they'd be suitable for my system. confused.gif
post #6 of 27 Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 PM

I think you're WAY over-thinking this. As long as it has enough wattage to support what you have plugged in, just get the simplest UPS you can. I make my living on my computers, and they're powerful multi-core units with dozens of HD's running with each. Those have all been perfectly fine 24/7 with the basic units Costco has at any time. Be those Tripplite, APC, whatever.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 PM

Liked: 17
Hi, I am an electrician. Before buying anything, call your utility. Have them verify your supply service conductors and all terminations are intact and not damaged from trees, weather etc. If you have issues that bad, you should complain to get them to address the issue upstream of you..... you are paying for it afterall. If issues exist before the main breaker in your panel it is usually their responsibility.

I urge you not to scab in a ups solution for your HT if your incoming voltage is burning up sumps etc. Address the issue properly if you can. It may be simpler than you think.
Spartan 1771 likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 PM

I agree with Hell Commute, but I also recommend surge protection for everyone's HT system. IMHO, Panamax make some great stuff. Two years ago my development received a huge power surge from a lightening strike. Everyone in my unit lost their TV except for me. I'm a firm believer in proper surge protection.
post #9 of 27 Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 AM

Liked: 12
I'm going with this one when I get my new Denon:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842111461

Here's why:
1500 VA 900 Watts
EMI/RFI Line Noise Filtering (Not all UPS have this and I don't want any line noise)
Automatic Voltage Regulation - automatically corrects brownouts as low as 92V and over-voltages as high as 147V back to 120V without drawing on battery backup power
Network-grade AC surge suppression. (If it's good enough for sensitive computer network equipment it's good enough for A/V stuff)
Tested to UL1778
LCD Status Screen - So I can see it's working!
$250,000 Ultimate Lifetime Insurance coverage for connected equipment insurance (USA/Canada only) and a 3-year product warranty. (Who knows about this, but it's nice to know that it's there.)

post #10 of 27 Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 AM

Liked: 11
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Monster+-+8-Outlet+High-Definition+PowerCenter+Surge+Protector/8812083.p?id=1206749374164&skuId=8812083&st=monester%20power&cp=1&lp=11 I ended up purchasing this from best buy for 150 bucks. Im sure if you search the web you can find it for that price. So far so good.

Samsung es6150 55", Marantz av8801, Acer RL70 - HTPC, Sony S590 - BluRay, Polk Lsim703's - Mains, Polk LSIC - Center, Parasound A21 amp for mains & Acurus A250- Amplifier center channel, Dual Svs SB2000 Subwoofers
Blue Jeans 10AWG Speaker wire, Kimber Kable Hero Interconnects
post #11 of 27 Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethios View Post

Here's why:
1500 VA 900 Watts
EMI/RFI Line Noise Filtering (Not all UPS have this and I don't want any line noise)
Automatic Voltage Regulation - automatically corrects brownouts as low as 92V and over-voltages as high as 147V back to 120V without drawing on battery backup power
Network-grade AC surge suppression. (If it's good enough for sensitive computer network equipment it's good enough for A/V stuff)
Tested to UL1778
$250,000 Ultimate Lifetime Insurance coverage for connected equipment insurance (USA/Canada only) and a 3-year product warranty. (Who knows about this, but it's nice to know that it's there.)

By the way, Tripp-Lite has some FANTASTIC customer service. Real people, right outside Chicago.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Get yourself a Torus Power ...

and forget about it.

Make sure you calculate the amperage utilized by your system componets (total) .. as to buy the appropriate model ...

Get a Torus Power unit ..
post #13 of 27 Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethios View Post

Here's why:
1500 VA 900 Watts
Tested to UL1778

Why do you feel the need to have a UPS on your HT system? I have one on my PC to prevent crashes, but I don't see the need to have this hooked up to my HT system. What am I missing?
post #14 of 27 Old 12-08-2012, 07:11 PM

I've always used the Tripp-Lite LC-1800 line conditioner. Have one with my 13A Denon 5805 running through it and a second with my projector and everything else plugged into it.
post #15 of 27 Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Why do you feel the need to have a UPS on your HT system? I have one on my PC to prevent crashes, but I don't see the need to have this hooked up to my HT system. What am I missing?

Why? So I can watch TV when all my neighbors are in the dark! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

LOL no, I like the overall protection and noise filtering that comes in this unit. Not to mention it's not good to just pull the power on your PS3 while it's running, which is my main blu ray player, plus i'll be getting the kids a xbox 360 for Xmas.
Both have hard drives, and I don't feel like replacing them if a power outage happens when they are on. Plus I use a HDD server with 8TB of music and movies connected to my TV and I don't want that getting damaged either.
post #16 of 27 Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM

www.TorusPower.com has extremly high quality power conditioners with some of the best surge protection (SMSS) and isolation transformers in the market to date. Torus Power is reletively young, with products created by Plitron, a 30 year old company and (leaders in Toroidal Transformer manufacturing) known for their quality. If you have any questions or inquiries, Matt can help you out.

Dealer, Rep, Sales & General Inquiries
Matthew Roher
(416) 667-9914 Ext 248
mroher@plitron.com
post #17 of 27 Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 AM

For more information. Please visit our Web Site. www.newageenergysolutions.com for more info about dirty Power, and play the video on the Powerworks e3 home unit. Thank, Kenny
post #18 of 27 Old 09-12-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMagic View Post

So I live in the mountains & have extremely dirty power & constant surges. I've had it kill one TV, 2 amps, a DVR & even a heat pump. Brownouts & blackouts are a common occurrence for me. To make matters worse my house is full of fluorescent lighting which contaminates the power lines from inside as well, apparently.

Sounds like you need to call up an electrician and have him install a whole-house surge protector. It might even cost less, and it would protect all of your appliances and your heat pump.
Transmaniacon likes this.
post #19 of 27 Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Sounds like you need to call up an electrician and have him install a whole-house surge protector. It might even cost less, and it would protect all of your appliances and your heat pump.

+1

And +1 on calling the power company.

They are charging you for a service, it should meet certain standards.
post #20 of 27 Old 09-12-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan 1771 View Post

I use one for my equipment for only one reason and it is not for surge protection. I'm not too concerned about being able to use my A/V system during a power outage other than my network equipment so that I still have internet access. More importantly, I don't want to brick a $1000+ device because I lost power while updating the firmware. $100 for a UPS is a worthwhile investment for peace of mind on $4000+ worth of equipment plugged in to the unit. If you have a projector, it might be beneficial to have one to allow you to properly shut it down in the event of a power outage. Might help to prolong the life of your bulb to allow it to cool down properly.
post #21 of 27 Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

+1

And +1 on calling the power company.

They are charging you for a service, it should meet certain standards.

I suspect that since he says that he lives in a mountainous area, he is getting surges due to near hits by lightning. IME power companies won't be of much help for that. A whole-hour surge supressor will be a great help for that. Plug in products are like spitting into the wind.
post #22 of 27 Old 09-12-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I also live in a mountainous area with frequent power glitches and lightning strikes. I have two units installed on my incoming (house service) lines: a lightning arrestor, and transient surge protector. They are professional (commercial) units but the total cost for both was around $1k installed (about ten years ago). For my gear, I use APC Back-UPS. They are fairly inexpensive, include decent filtering, and provide power to ride out short glitches and give me time to power down my equipment for longer ones. All the computers and TVs in the house are on their own APC units. I had also put a HAM-grade lightning arrestor on the cable line where it entered the house. The cable company replaced wit with a commercial lightning/surge unit after a strike about 50 yards from the house took out the cable. My TV at the time was connected through an APC unit (one of the Back-UPS with cable and phone protection) and survived. They had to run a new drop as the exterior cable line was fried.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #23 of 27 Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 AM

I'm with DonH50 and the others that use a UPS. My DVR has a hard drive, my PS3 has one, getting a UPS is especially nice to have to make sure nothing gets corrupted during outages and brownouts. I have 4. 3 for computers of various sorts around the house and 1 for the HT/living room. Everything else is protected by surge protectors (fridge, microwave, washer/dryer). i don't have surge protector at the panel but I have one I am about to get one i like on amazon. For the price you pay its worth the peace of mind to have these devices and you don't need to spend a fortune buying furman or monster, etc.

During Sandy last year, the UPS in the living room was especially useful to charge phones and turn on the TV every once in a while to see what was going on outside.

I live in a metropolitan area but if I was in the mountains I would definitely go one step further and get a generator as well as solar and wind power, unfortunately I rent in a townhouse at the moment.

Earlier tonight we had some storms come through and the power flickered. I wasn't home but the UPS software sent me an email about it. For a hundred bucks that's pretty good setup. There are many reasonably priced brands out there.

tripplite, cyberpower, apc, are generally what I use without getting into all the details.

I haven't lost or had a piece of equipment or had anything damaged yet due to a power issue. Hope it stays that way.
post #24 of 27 Old 09-13-2013, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
From my reading a few years ago, the recommended setup is a whole house surge suppressor to knock down the big spikes. That will protect things with motors etc. Then you need a small unit for each of the electronic doodads. Several of my neighbors have lost the electronic control panels on their appliances do to not having any protection. I personally lost several electric blanket controls until I put a good surge suppressor on that line. Don't buy cheap, get quality products!

We really like living in a very remote mountainous area, but you do have to adapt to a few things.
post #25 of 27 Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marantz guy View Post

We really like living in a very remote mountainous area, but you do have to adapt to a few things.

Off-topic: Trying to reconcile that line with your West Texas location... Remote, OK, but mountainous? How high is a mountain? biggrin.gif

On-topic: I have struggled with getting a decent generator for years, usually when we lose power for a few days. We need a pretty good-sized one to keep the furnace and well going, and the last quote I got for a transfer switch was pretty expensive, and then there's the debate about fuel for the generator. Gas/diesel doesn't store well, and shares with propane the hazard of putting lots of flammables near the house in a wildfire zone, so I am thinking natural gas. So far we have never (knock on wood) lost our gas line. But with kids in college stalling our retirement savings I am hesitant to spend $20k on a getting a decent generator installed and plumbed. Aaargghhh...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #26 of 27 Old 09-13-2013, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
House is at about a mile high. Not far away, I can climb to 8200 ft. McDonald Observatory's oldest dome sets at 6791 ft. if my memory serves me correctly. This pic is from the top of Mt. Livermore, approx. 15 miles away as the crow flies.

http://txmountaineer.com/report.php?report_id=40

post #27 of 27 Old 09-13-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice view!

On the subject of "why a UPS", as questioned in an earlier post, brief power glitches can cause large power surges. The self-limiting features of many devices has some time (and often thermal) dependence, so brief (ms to few seconds) power outages or brownouts may cause premature failure by allowing large inrush current, not too mention (but I shall) the large voltage spikes often seen due to inductive loads (motors, compressors, transformers). Providing time to ride out brief glitches, and/or time for a graceful shutdown in the event of a longer outage, can prolong equipment life.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv , Marantz Nr1602 Av Receiver , Tripp Lite
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page