Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Where can I get a 240 Volt power version of Sony STR-DA5800ES online with reasonable price ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm hoping this topic will continue. I too am looking at this a/v. Can anyone tell me if it is upgradabe to 11.2 audio? I hope to have almost unlimited options.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

I'm hoping this topic will continue. I too am looking at this a/v. Can anyone tell me if it is upgradabe to 11.2 audio? I hope to have almost unlimited options.
The manual is available online and it states up to 9.2. I have it set up as 9.2 with front heights and it just sounds amazing.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Has anyone had a chance to compare the performance of this iteration of DCAC to anything like Audyssey or Yamaha? Or anything else?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

A better option is to use a camera tripod if you have one. wink.gif

I use a mic stand... got one with both my Paradigm Sub-1s

Sony STR-DA5800ES Amp + Sony KD-55X9005a 4k TV
Paradigm Reference Studio 100 (F L+R)
Paradigm Reference Studio CC-690 (C)
Paradigm Reference Studio 20 (F L+R Heigh)
Paradigm Signature Sub 1 (F)
Paradigm Reference Studio 60 (S L+R)
Paradigm Reference Studio 60 (R L+R)
Paradigm Signature Sub 1 (R)
Old 06-29-2013, 04:40 PM

The amp gets pretty warm.... there is a fan in the top so I'd advise at least an inch gap above if on a stand. In an enclosure I'd advise as much ventilation as possible! Possibly a fan or two in the back or side of an enclose.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

Where can I get a 240 Volt power version of Sony STR-DA5800ES online with reasonable price ?

Power Direct

http://www.powerdirect.co.uk/product/SONY-New-Smart-AV-Home-Cinema-Receiver-STRDA5800ES

£1699.97... OK £1700 lol

Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT monster View Post

I use a mic stand... got one with both my Paradigm Sub-1s
Even better, especially if it's one with a telescoping arm. smile.gif
Quote:

The amp gets pretty warm.... there is a fan in the top so I'd advise at least an inch gap above if on a stand. In an enclosure I'd advise as much ventilation as possible! Possibly a fan or two in the back or side of an enclose.
You're right, it really does. I've got mine on it's own shelve (Sanus Euro Series) which is normally 8" in height but I got the 12" extenders which gives 4.5" of clearance. Keeps the room nice and toasty in the winter. biggrin.gif

Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. How how goes the temp?
2. Is it the iOS app TV Sideview combat able with the 5800?
3. Any other info of the AV?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 AM

Had for a week now and warm but not hot for me.
That app doesn't work but some others do (still experimenting.
Good connectivity but no Internet HD yet just fair SD do far.

Sound is better than anything I've had (Yamaha 2910)..

Update 7/22/2013
receiver not hot at all.
Internet ( wired 25 Mbps) Netflix HD as good as having a disk or cable.
Really impressed that the holy grail ( for me ) of perfect Internet TV is here.

Is this going to be the official forum?
Have issues with it changing the settings on my Motorola cable box.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM

Yes even when the volume is up and 4 hours play the temp is normal. Warm in the upper case.
The TV sideview app is not working in iOS.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't anyone who owns this Sony AVR have any interest/experience with Room EQ?

Lots of "reviews" about it being hot or not, or apps, or network features, but nothing about what is really unique to this Sony, its proprietary Room EQ.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:28 AM

Ryan1 what do you want to know?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppetros View Post

Ryan1 what do you want to know?

Ideally, how does it compare in the same environment with some of the other EQ platforms, such as Audyssey or Yamaha's, Trinnov, or Anthem's, etc.?

How successful is the equalization, particularly at low frequencies and is it more or less successful in the same environment than something else the user had experienced before -- that kind of thing.

There is virtually no information available on how people think Sony's top of the line EQ performs compared to others, so I've been genuinely curious for a while. Users post about other EQs, but none of the Sony owners seem to do so.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

Ideally, how does it compare in the same environment with some of the other EQ platforms, such as Audyssey or Yamaha's, Trinnov, or Anthem's, etc.?

How successful is the equalization, particularly at low frequencies and is it more or less successful in the same environment than something else the user had experienced before -- that kind of thing.

There is virtually no information available on how people think Sony's top of the line EQ performs compared to others, so I've been genuinely curious for a while. Users post about other EQs, but none of the Sony owners seem to do so.
I've never owned an AVR like Denon (uses Audyssey) nor a Yamaha, so I can only speak of my environment with the Sony. I'm also not an expert on this stuff but I can only tell you what my ears like. I think the Sony does an outstanding job. All my speakers (9.1 set up with front heights) are sonicly matched and after the room calibration is done the sound stage sounds amazing. I use Sony's HD-D.C.S Theater setting as I primarily use the AVR for movies. For music, I'm not a purist, so I use PLIIz Height which sounds great.

I do have to tweak the LFE volume as the calibrated setting can over drive the sub depending on the movie. I have a few clips from several movies that I've used that really have high impact LFE and I use those for reference that allowed me to set it properly.

One other thing is that the calibration will configure the levels based on the speaker size (frequencies determine this) so if the surrounds are determined to be large, then the levels are set based on that. I mention this because if the speaker size is changed manually, bass steering will occur which will then require further adjustment to the sub as bass from those speakers will be sent to the sub and fonts based on the crossover frequency set for the small size. Once I figured all this stuff out, I'm extremely happy with the results. I previously had the STR-DA5500ES and wasn't sure if the 5800 was going to add all that much, but I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement in the sound presentation which sounded even fuller and better defined. I later added the 2 front heights and they really add even more to the depth and sound stage.

Any way, all this is obviously subjective, but I hope it helps in some small way. wink.gif

BTW, one thing I thought Sony really dropped the ball on is the fact that I can't save my AVR settings to USB or upload/download/modify through some utility. The STR-DA5500ES had the Sony ES Utility which allowed me to store all the settings so I can restore them quickly if something happened, but with the 5800, if something changes or you lose the settings, then you pretty much have to start from scratch.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:01 AM

You are right about the saving setting. No option. We must mail sony support to figure it out. To the es app or to a windows based programm.
My last AV was Sony DN2010 so is a big step from that. So I can't tell you more about other AVs.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Does DCAC do subwoofer EQ?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Does DCAC do subwoofer EQ?
Don't know, but the manual is available online. Any features questions should be answered there.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

Don't know, but the manual is available online. Any features questions should be answered there.

Unfortunately, Sony says little to nothing about its DCAC system and there is no discussion about sub EQ.

I am starting to think that it is like YPAO and it doesn't do much below 300Hz - that's why I asked.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:

Unfortunately, Sony says little to nothing about its DCAC system and there is no discussion about sub EQ.

I am starting to think that it is like YPAO and it doesn't do much below 300Hz - that's why I asked.

YPAO corrects down to 31Hz.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

YPAO corrects down to 31Hz.

I said "doesn't do much" and YPAO does not. In fact, it appears to make things worse in some cases.

But this is not about YPAO, it's about Sony. I was curious if someone has actually tested to see what the DCAC does in terms of smoothing out the lower end (which is generally the area most in need of EQ).
Old 02-16-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 166

The 5800ES received a firmware update on 2/4/14 which states:

Adds support for the following HDMI® Version 2.0 specification for 4K/60p signals:
3840x2160p @ 59.94/60Hz (YCbCr 4:2:0 / 8bit only)
3840x2160p @ 50Hz (YCbCr 4:2:0 / 8bit only)
4096x2160p @ 59.94/60Hz (YCbCr 4:2:0 / 8bit only)
4096x2160p @ 50Hz (YCbCr 4:2:0 / 8bit only)

Does this mean that the 5800ES is now HDMI 2.0...?

:)

Old 02-18-2014, 03:15 AM

Yes, it is now HDMI 2.0 compliant. My KD-55x9005 4K TV received a similar update. It would appear that the devices had the processing power already, however they have now programmed the parameters of HDMI 2.0 which were only released in September last year....

Only thing is I can't find a 4k HDMI 2.0 compliant device with 4K media. There are no HDMI 2.0 graphics cards yet either!

Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it is now HDMI 2.0 compliant. My KD-55x9005 4K TV received a similar update. It would appear that the devices had the processing power already, however they have now programmed the parameters of HDMI 2.0 which were only released in September last year....

Only thing is I can't find a 4k HDMI 2.0 compliant device with 4K media. There are no HDMI 2.0 graphics cards yet either!

GT monster...

I noticed you have the exact set-up I am looking to purchase along with the 65X900A/B:

Sony STR-DA5800ES
Paradigm Reference Studios

Can you give a little "write-up" on how you like both the Sony AVR; and the Paradigm Studios?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

GT monster...

I noticed you have the exact set-up I am looking to purchase along with the 65X900A/B:

Sony STR-DA5800ES

Paradigm Reference Studios

Can you give a little "write-up" on how you like both the Sony AVR; and the Paradigm Studios?

Thanks!

Feel free to ask questions...

STR-DA5800ES
In my opinion this A/V amp is surprisingly good. It hits highs and lows effortlessly. Not only is it great for HT, but it's also quite musical. At high volume unlike Sony's sub-ES range the sound output is not clinical and painful to listen to, but accurate and uncoloured (though I have increased the bass setting to my liking). I was concerned after being advised that the Paradigm Studios are power hungry and that A/V amps struggle to drive them... but the 5800ES happily delivers to my 9.2 setup. I can happily say I love this amp. Sony did a really good job.

The inbuilt media player plays 90% of the music and video that I through at it (For the rest my HTPC kills the rest)...
Video playback is smooth and most current formats are supported. Some older avi and mpg files of mine will not play. The odd new movie fails too. Pro Logic IIz is always on for the times when there is not surround available.
256kbps MP3 sounds great, but FLAC (Lossless format) format sounds much nicer and richer. For music I play between multi stereo and Music Pro Logic IIz (And so do my neighbours)

The software has a few glitches still. Every few weeks while using video via DLNA server the amp restarts itself at the end of playback. Also when playing music in a folder of mixed files it can do the same. The annoying part is having to wait 3 minutes for it to become useful again. But in the year I have had it Sony seem to be slowly removing the bugs one by one... There were a lot more originally.

I'm not a fan of the Bravia Sync remote control between the KD-55x9005a... (It is now switched off). I find that sometimes it is not very intuitive and quite counter-productive. This is most annoying for me when the TV remote suddenly gets commandeered by the amp. This should be simple to resolve, but requires pressing the Bravia Sync button and scrolling to the TV remote to function the TV setting before you can operate the TV again. Zone 2 will not work while Bravia Sync is switched on.

9.2 set-up gives you the ability to raise the sound into the screen. this works really well and helps with binding speech to the screen and not the centre speaker.

Given the few quirks, I'm still very happy that I bought this amp! Would I change it if I could go back given that I have now heard several other A/V amps since... NO!

My amp would appear not to support the home automation that was meant to be one of the main highlights of this amp when first advertised (I think this is a US function only). But it can be connected to an automation setup via the RS232 port on the back using the correct Sony command codes.

Paradigm Studio speakers
I wrote this the other day... It should be of some help as I was comparing my thoughts of listing to Bower & Wilkins and Paradigm similar speakers. The same could be said for the complete range of speakers when I compared them to the B&Ws. But that's my opinion.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512302/paradigm-studio-20-v5-b-w-cm5-dilemma

I do love the Studios. Sound is clear, uncoloured right through the whole range from bass to midd-bass to high frequencies. They are not piercing or painful to listen to. As I said before I like a tad more bass than recorded at reference, but that's an amp tweak.

Subwoofer... I should never have listened to the Paradigm Signature Sub-1s... these are a complete cut about the Paradigm Studio subs. They bind the bass into music and HT seamlessly. They also hit ear rendering notes. 12Hz is almost unspeakable! While using a frequency emulator on my PC nothing in my apartment stood still.

When combining both the 5800ES and Studios... You wont be disappointed.

Hope this helps... Sorry this write-up is a tad slap dash... am limited for time at the mo, but if you have any questions ask away.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Feel free to ask questions...

STR-DA5800ES
In my opinion this A/V amp is surprisingly good. It hits highs and lows effortlessly. Not only is it great for HT, but it's also quite musical. At high volume unlike Sony's sub-ES range the sound output is not clinical and painful to listen to, but accurate and uncoloured (though I have increased the bass setting to my liking). I was concerned after being advised that the Paradigm Studios are power hungry and that A/V amps struggle to drive them... but the 5800ES happily delivers to my 9.2 setup. I can happily say I love this amp. Sony did a really good job.

The inbuilt media player plays 90% of the music and video that I through at it (For the rest my HTPC kills the rest)...
Video playback is smooth and most current formats are supported. Some older avi and mpg files of mine will not play. The odd new movie fails too. Pro Logic IIz is always on for the times when there is not surround available.
256kbps MP3 sounds great, but FLAC (Lossless format) format sounds much nicer and richer. For music I play between multi stereo and Music Pro Logic IIz (And so do my neighbours)

The software has a few glitches still. Every few weeks while using video via DLNA server the amp restarts itself at the end of playback. Also when playing music in a folder of mixed files it can do the same. The annoying part is having to wait 3 minutes for it to become useful again. But in the year I have had it Sony seem to be slowly removing the bugs one by one... There were a lot more originally.

I'm not a fan of the Bravia Sync remote control between the KD-55x9005a... (It is now switched off). I find that sometimes it is not very intuitive and quite counter-productive. This is most annoying for me when the TV remote suddenly gets commandeered by the amp. This should be simple to resolve, but requires pressing the Bravia Sync button and scrolling to the TV remote to function the TV setting before you can operate the TV again. Zone 2 will not work while Bravia Sync is switched on.

9.2 set-up gives you the ability to raise the sound into the screen. this works really well and helps with binding speech to the screen and not the centre speaker.

Given the few quirks, I'm still very happy that I bought this amp! Would I change it if I could go back given that I have now heard several other A/V amps since... NO!

My amp would appear not to support the home automation that was meant to be one of the main highlights of this amp when first advertised (I think this is a US function only). But it can be connected to an automation setup via the RS232 port on the back using the correct Sony command codes.

Paradigm Studio speakers
I wrote this the other day... It should be of some help as I was comparing my thoughts of listing to Bower & Wilkins and Paradigm similar speakers. The same could be said for the complete range of speakers when I compared them to the B&Ws. But that's my opinion.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512302/paradigm-studio-20-v5-b-w-cm5-dilemma

I do love the Studios. Sound is clear, uncoloured right through the whole range from bass to midd-bass to high frequencies. They are not piercing or painful to listen to. As I said before I like a tad more bass than recorded at reference, but that's an amp tweak.

Subwoofer... I should never have listened to the Paradigm Signature Sub-1s... these are a complete cut about the Paradigm Studio subs. They bind the bass into music and HT seamlessly. They also hit ear rendering notes. 12Hz is almost unspeakable! While using a frequency emulator on my PC nothing in my apartment stood still.

When combining both the 5800ES and Studios... You wont be disappointed.

Hope this helps... Sorry this write-up is a tad slap dash... am limited for time at the mo, but if you have any questions ask away.

Great write-up!

Thanks!

Just a few more questions:)

Is your 5800ES rated at 145 watts per channel, or 130 watts per channel - or is the wattage rating for 2 channels?

I like the "warm" sound of the Harman Kardon AVRs - would you consider the 5800ES "warm" sounding - or just an "accurate" sound?

I think you touched on it - but is the 5800ES "musical" - and as good with music as it is with movies?

Are the Studios "warm" sounding - or are the "accurate"...

Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

I like the "warm" sound of the Harman Kardon AVRs - would you consider the 5800ES "warm" sounding - or just an "accurate" sound?

I think you touched on it - but is the 5800ES "musical" - and as good with music as it is with movies?

Are the Studios "warm" sounding - or are the "accurate"...

Thanks again!

Going to try and help here. I have the last year's model, the STR-DA5700ES.

The Sonys will not sound "warm" like an HK. If that's what you're looking for, you might want to look at the Marantz line. They have a similar feel to the HK sound.

Not that the Sonys sound cold, or harsh, or digital. But they aren't 'warm'. I was a religious HK owner through the 90's. Before this Sony I had a Marantz. There are definitely things I miss about the HKs and the Marantz. But I love the Sony's accurate, wide soundstage. I feel like the surround steering is more precise. For stereo, I'd probably go back to an HK. Never had a better stereo sound than an old HK AVR20 playing through a pair of NHT 2.5s. The imaging with that combo is hard to beat without spending exponentially more.

I really like the Sony. But I don't think my next receiver will be a Sony.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 AM

9No. discrete 145W channels. Trust me this is more than plenty of power. I have never heard the speakers or amp distort and I've had the set-up louder than constant comfortable listening levels.

I'd say that the the sound from the 5800ES is pretty true to the recording studio's intentions or as can be achieved at the price of this system. In my opinion it is more accurate than warm, but it is still very marginally warm (I think Sony did this on purpose to remove the ES am from the cold harsh clinical sound of the sub ES level amps), but not as warm as some manufactures systems. In no way does the sound come over clinical, empty, cold, lifeless or flat (unless it was poorly recorded with those qualities).

I think its as good at re-creating music as at HT. Music is one of the biggest scene setting techniques in cinema, so a good HT amp has to be able to cope with musical reproduction as well as the sound effects. I would note that I have heard other systems that create better music, however these were not all in one HT setups and were dedicated to music reproduction.

The Paradigm studios are known for being accurate with good sound stage, punchy bass and having excellent high frequency response. I loved the B&W CM series and they definitely made me smile, but the Paradigm did it for me. And lets face it the paradigm are prettier.

Both the 5800ES and the Paradigms operate very nicely together. I'm not easily pleased. But this setup pleases me very much.

As sound is very subjective to the person listening, I can only advise you demo some setups and read as many reviews as possible before taking the dive. That said, I don't think you would walk away disappointed with this setup.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

9No. discrete 145W channels. Trust me this is more than plenty of power. I have never heard the speakers or amp distort and I've had the set-up louder than constant comfortable listening levels.

The US version seems to be only 130 Watts for some reason... :(

Old 02-20-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:

The US version seems to be only 130 Watts for some reason... frown.gif

To be honest, I really don't think you will have any issues with most speaker setups powered by 130W per channel. That's plenty of power output. My STR-VA333ES was 7 discrete channels at 100W. I never listened to it at that level even when having weekend drinks with mates.