Just got a Sony STR-DA5800ES - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2015, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
They will eventually release a new flagship the new 3000es isn't a flagship but since they did an update of the 5800es to the 5800es2 a few months ago to get rid of the video streaming because they didn't have the proper licensing in place and had to pay a substantial fine , if they had something else in the pipe I would have thought they would have pulled it but I'm guessing that they are waiting on hdmi 2 / hdcp2.2 capabilities full implementation ...currently they are limited to a 4:2:2 chroma or something else less than full capacity
Looks pretty nice...

The webpage says it is 100 watts per channel... but that is at 6 ohms...

I guess it goes up to 110 watts per channel at 8 ohms...

Not quite the 130 watts per channel of the 5800 - but still looks nice.

Last edited by HDTVAV; 01-21-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2015, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I think it's built to match up with their new High res speaker's that came out 6 months ago...all are 6ohm
Old 03-09-2015, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Ryan1 

One other thing is that the calibration will configure the levels based on the speaker size (frequencies determine this) so if the surrounds are determined to be large, then the levels are set based on that. I mention this because if the speaker size is changed manually, bass steering will occur which will then require further adjustment to the sub as bass from those speakers will be sent to the sub and fonts based on the crossover frequency set for the small size. Once I figured all this stuff out, I'm extremely happy with the results.
I just got one of these beasts. When I auto-calibrated, all my speakers came up as "large." Subsequently, I changed them all to "small" and adjusted the crossover settings to send to my powered sub. It doesn't appear there is a way to force calibration after the speakers have been manually set to "small." Any insights about how to re-calibrate would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI!
quick question, can anyone tell me if there is a large difference between 5300 ES and 5800 ES in sound quality, I read somewhere that after 5400 they had a sound quality issue on 5600 and 5700, is this true?, I have the ES line of speakers, and I couldn't be happier with sound quality of this match, but now im in need of 4k past through and the only Sony s doing it is 5800 ES and Z3000 ES, is it better to wait or the Next ES, that is possibly around the corner, or should I buy the 5800?
Thanks!
Max.-=
Old 04-12-2015, 10:26 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiracle View Post
HI!
quick question, can anyone tell me if there is a large difference between 5300 ES and 5800 ES in sound quality, I read somewhere that after 5400 they had a sound quality issue on 5600 and 5700, is this true?, I have the ES line of speakers, and I couldn't be happier with sound quality of this match, but now im in need of 4k past through and the only Sony s doing it is 5800 ES and Z3000 ES, is it better to wait or the Next ES, that is possibly around the corner, or should I buy the 5800?
Thanks!
Max.-=
Hi !
I have this is STR-DA5800ES. And this is Fantastic Amplifier

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7343/1...73ef2adc_h.jpg
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7450/1...e7feff8b_h.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8729/1...05b167f5_b.jpg
Old 04-12-2015, 10:30 PM

SONY STR-DA5800ES. Dolby Atmos.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elxan Aqayev View Post

There is no Atmos update available yet.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbodamer View Post
I just got one of these beasts. When I auto-calibrated, all my speakers came up as "large." Subsequently, I changed them all to "small" and adjusted the crossover settings to send to my powered sub. It doesn't appear there is a way to force calibration after the speakers have been manually set to "small." Any insights about how to re-calibrate would be appreciated.
After calibration set it to small and be done with it is the only answer I have. I have been very pleased with manually tweaking everything. I'm glad I am! In my 7.1 set up I got the Code 34 error because my front height speakers are not mounted above my floorstanders and couldn't continue with the auto calibration. I have my heights placed directly on top of my Quartets and that's what works in my room. Funny I never ran into that problem before with YPAO or any other auto calibration.

The other niggle is you can't change the music and movie modes from the Sony remote. I have to manually change modes directly on the receiver. Thankfully I have my settings set for how I like them (DTS NEO X) for music and (Movie Height) for bluray so it isn't a huge deal.

No receiver I have ever owned has been perfect but I can say the STR-5800 has the best audio quality that I have heard to date. Better than all the other receivers and Yamaha RX-A1000 I last had and the Yamaha was no slouch. I find the Sony just has a really smooth sound to it with plenty of punch and dynamics. I am really happy with how it sounds and the bottom line for me is that's what counts!
camgrant84 likes this.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:55 PM

Ok, Im really happy with this receiver, I believe is a huge jump in technology, and features, really happy with my purchase, I will leave y 5300 to my secondary room, love the es line
Thanks!
Max.-

Last edited by TheMiracle; 05-04-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:11 AM

To change music & movie soundfields press the shift key first on the upper left hand corner then press the soundfield keys located on the bottom right hand corner of the remote. There's a small remote that comes with the European models that's not included with US models that simplifies a few functions. You can find it for sale on Ebay occasionally.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Second Subwoofer Not Recognized

I've connected a second subwoofer to my STR-DA5800ES receiver and it is not being recognized. My speaker setup is now a 9.2 configuration. When I try to configure the speaker connection speaker pattern it doesn't show the option for 5/4.2 it only lets me select 5/4.1. Is this normal?
Old 06-24-2015, 05:12 PM

Hello, I have a question to all you STR-DA5800ES owners. Does all your internet video streaming sources still work if you stay on the older firmware or did Sony disable and shut all the services down?

If you update the old STR-DA5800ES with Sony's latest software/firmware update, does it become exactly the same as the new STR-DA5800ES2 model? or are there some other differences between the old and new model (other than removing and disabling all the video streaming services)?
I just bought an STR-DA5800ES from ebay and wondering what to expect in regards to the ability to stream audio and video services from the internet connection.
I find it terrible that Sony has reneg'ed on providing the streaming functions like Shoutcast and Vtuner on their devices and especially for the ES line.
I have both an STR-DA4600ES and the STR-DA1040 mid-line receivers and they disabled both Shoutcast and Vtuner function on them. I think that is a BIG Mistake as it disappoints the heck out of me.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
Old 06-24-2015, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Cant believe Sony hasn't put out anything with Atmos yet. My buddy has the 5800es and I like it. Thing is loud and sounds good with his deftech speakers.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased View Post
Hello, I have a question to all you STR-DA5800ES owners. Does all your internet video streaming sources still work if you stay on the older firmware or did Sony disable and shut all the services down?

If you update the old STR-DA5800ES with Sony's latest software/firmware update, does it become exactly the same as the new STR-DA5800ES2 model? or are there some other differences between the old and new model (other than removing and disabling all the video streaming services)?
I just bought an STR-DA5800ES from ebay and wondering what to expect in regards to the ability to stream audio and video services from the internet connection.
I find it terrible that Sony has reneg'ed on providing the streaming functions like Shoutcast and Vtuner on their devices and especially for the ES line.
I have both an STR-DA4600ES and the STR-DA1040 mid-line receivers and they disabled both Shoutcast and Vtuner function on them. I think that is a BIG Mistake as it disappoints the heck out of me.
Update:
All, nevermind, I was finally able to speak to a Sony ES Support rep and he said that the older software versions will no longer connect to the streaming services because they've changed the server addresses. You must install the latest firmware version 1062 in order to get the streaming connections back for older STR-DA5800ES models. So I updated my receiver and it now connects to all the streaming services what remains in them anyway. I am disappointed that they took away Vtuner support.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."