AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Just got a Sony STR-DA5800ES (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1443971-just-got-sony-str-da5800es.html)

CodeThor 12-07-2012 10:40 AM

Got one yesterday from the Sony Store in South Coast Plaza! Didn't get home from work until later in the evening so all I had almost no time for setting it up. What I did hook up was the 2 front speakers, subwoofer and center channel. Ran the quick setup which was really easy and then I ran the speaker calibration step. Then I sat down and played some Kent (747). First I was struck with how great the subwoofer integrated with the main speakers. In my previous setup (Pioneer Elite SC-05), I felt that the sub was either not loud enough or too loud. Then I threw in the Dark Knight BluRay. By this time the family had gone to bed so I had to keep the volume down, but even at low levels, the bass and treble were well balanced.

The GUI is nice and responsive. If you press the home button you get a list of tiles saying "Watch" or "Listen". Once you choose Watch it then gives you all your sources of video content as icons. Tv, game, bluray etc.. Same for the Listen section, just different icons. There are also several DSP modes. We had a Yamaha DSP-1 back in the day and it had a lot of fun settings, but my favorite was Jazz Club. In the equipment I have owned since I haven't found a similar setting. This thing has it, cant wait to listen to it with all the speakers connected. It also has several concert hall reproductions but i havent tried them out yet.

I have not tested the multizone features at all.

Hopefully I will have more to say after the weekend unless I end up having to decorate for Xmas!

Setup.
Sony STR-DA5800ES
PS3
Tivo Premiere HD

Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
Paradigm Studio CC-470 v.3
AR S112PS powered subwoofer ( 12", 120Watts)

Kini62 12-07-2012 04:50 PM

Keeps us posted. As I am interested in the ES2800.

Thanks

Lionanimal 12-09-2012 08:50 PM

Thanks for posting CodeThor. Am interested in all of your impressions of Sony 5800ES 2012-13 avr. How does the music sound compared to Pioneer, Marantz etc modern products ? Does it have. Much headroom ? Have. You tried app "digitalconcerthall.com" ? Berlin Philharmonic. Impressions of Neo:x compared with Neo:6 ? Sony audio-upscaling described in sales pitch ? Sony room correction c ompared with denon or audeszy dsx xt32 etc. ?

CodeThor 12-10-2012 10:37 AM

Spent some time this weekend ( while putting lights on the tree ) to listen to a variety of music through the 5800. Christmas music sounded clear and balanced. Music setting was "Direct' to avoid any processing while I was listening.
Then I turned on Basstronic Base I love you, to make sure the amp was powerful enough. Turned the volume up to around -15db and listened while my walls shook. Receiver sounded great and could keep up easily. There was more power but I didnt want to hurt the speakers!
Then we watched a Keith Urban concert DVD. And it sounded great, however the rear speakers were a bit too loud. Again I was using the "No processing mode" which is called A.F.S or something like that, took me a while to find.
After hours of playing loudish music, I checked the temperature with my hand. It was HOT.. almost painfully so, I don't have any tools to give an actual number, but id say it was at least 120F.

@ Lionanimal. My impression so far is that it is a really solid and feature rich receiver. It replaces my Pioneer SC-07 and the whole system sounds better now. I feel the Room correction works better than the system on the Pioneer. But the pioneer was over 5 years old ( i think ). I have switched to the Berlin Philharmonic setting but not for long enough to state my opinion yet. I did not compare neo:6 vs neo:x, nor did I try the audio-upscaling.

Lionanimal 12-10-2012 05:32 PM

Thank you poster CodeThor for your impressions of the performance of Sony 5800ES AVR.

By the way,m the reference to the app (application) for DigitalConcertHall.com is to a streaming service. You might have a free introductery trial available to the live and on-demand streams of Berlin Philimoniker.

Apparently there isn't anywhere in the metro Seattle, WA area with Sony 5800 ES AVR on display. However, the local B & M, (Brick and Mortar) Sony style store in U-Village, Seattle, WA has offered to let me audition their only one from stock for a couple of weeks. I'm tempted, I'm really tempted. It would possibly be replacing a Marantz SR7002 circa 2010.

The fact that your impressions of Sony 5800ES AVR is favorable in comparison to the older Pioneer speaks volumes and nuances.

Thanks again for your reply and let us know how it goes.

Yamonsony 12-16-2012 07:51 PM

When will it be available in montreal, canada

iwanrs 12-16-2012 08:20 PM

Can anyone confirm if Sony STR-DA5800ES sold in US has a 240 Volt power input (110 Volt/240 Volt switchable) ?

Yamonsony 12-17-2012 02:04 PM

According to the manual it is 120v

iwanrs 12-17-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamonsony View Post

According to the manual it is 120v

Any idea where I can get the 220/240 Volt power model ?

AYColumbia 12-31-2012 10:45 AM

@CodeThor,
I appreciate you posting about this AVR and your impressions so far. I'm an owner of the STR-DA5500ES and love it. However, I'm looking to upgrade and am basically down to the STR-DA5800ES and the Yamaha RX-A3020.

I've read reviews that state Sony really messed things up in audio quality and quality of the components between the 5600ES and 5700ES which is a little disturbing if the 5800ES is just a 5700ES with a few upgrades. I do take reviews with a grain of salt, but nonetheless it's all I have to go one short of going to a B&M store and auditioning with my own ears.

I'm curious as to what models you auditioned or looked at before you decided on the 5800ES and why you decided to go with the Sony. Thanks.

jsny44 01-04-2013 01:33 PM

Has anyone seen any reviews of the 5800es yet? I've been searching, but it appears that it is so new that no one has yet put out a review of it.

jsny44 01-08-2013 10:00 PM

Here is the first review that I have found on the unit from Home Theater
http://hometheaterreview.com/sony-str-da5800es-92-channel-4k-av-receiver-reviewed/

chile109 01-12-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

I've read reviews that state Sony really messed things up in audio quality and quality of the components between the 5600ES and 5700ES which is a little disturbing if the 5800ES is just a 5700ES with a few upgrades.

I'm looking at the 5700ES because of the great pricing. All the reviews I have read have been positive. I'm also looking at the Yamaha RX-A1020. If you could send me some links to the negative reviews, it might make my decision easier.
Thanks

AYColumbia 01-13-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chile109 View Post

I'm looking at the 5700ES because of the great pricing. All the reviews I have read have been positive. I'm also looking at the Yamaha RX-A1020. If you could send me some links to the negative reviews, it might make my decision easier.
Thanks
It's been months since I looked those up and I don't have the links saved. It was a few months after the 5700 had come out. Just search, like Google, for comparison reviews. Like I said, I take those negative reviews with a grain of salt. The positives greatly out weighed the negatives but I tend to not dismiss the negatives entirely even if they're few.

BTW, since you're looking at the 5700, I did find this which has some folks asking about both the 5700 and 5600 with a lot of pictures too. I thought you might find it helpful.
http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39927&forum=51&start=0&select_page_number=1

m1yag1 01-31-2013 02:01 PM

How many assignable audio zones does it have?

FilmMixer 02-10-2013 08:26 PM

20 Attachment(s)
Can someone confirm/clarify the OSD capabilities of the 5800?

Does it show volume changes on screen? Any other info?

Gatlinburger 02-22-2013 08:55 AM

Anyone using a 9.1 or 9.2 channel setup and DTS Neo X or Pro Logic iiz? How does it sound? How did you like the DCAC setup? Is this the OFFICIAL thread for the STR-DA5800ES? Thanks.

I read the Andrew Robinson review of this AVR and he said it was the best receiver he has ever heard! He also mentioned that the DCAC auto setup was brilliant.

m1yag1 02-23-2013 09:29 PM

wondering if it has assignable powered zones and how many

temitch 02-24-2013 10:48 AM

I use Pro Logic IIz with a 9.1 configuration. I'm not an audiophile but it sounds great to me. I'm using for all sources. Seems to really enhance mp3 quality more than anything else.

AYColumbia 03-15-2013 07:43 PM

I just bit the bullet and upgraded to the STR-DA5800ES. Should get it on Tuesday. smile.gif

gammite 04-13-2013 12:42 AM

I think I may have finally found a worthy upgrade to my str-da4es. it still runs great but no hdmi.

petiteface 05-07-2013 12:03 AM

How is the video upscaling in this receiver? In particular I am interested in upscaling from netflix, satellite etc.

GT monster 05-09-2013 06:34 PM

Is anyone using a 9.2 set-up... how did you set the second sub up in the 5800? I currently have a 9.1 set-up with a second sub on the way. My front sub-woofer is between the left front and centre, I'm looking to put the second between the rear speakers. Does it set them up separately? One Sub is closer to the listening position than the other. Thanks for any help.

My set-up

STR-DA5800ES A/V Amp (I'm extremely happy with the sound from the Amp. It's very transparent and clean sounding)

All speakers are Paradigm

Fronts:Paradigm Studio 100 v5
Centre:Paradigm cc-690 v5
Front High:Paradigm Studio 20 v5
Sides:Paradigm Studio 60 v5
Rear:Paradigm Studio 60 v5
Sub-woofer: Signature Sub-1 (second on way)

Sony KDL-40w4500 (Waiting release of Sony 55" 4k TV in the UK)

GT monster 05-09-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temitch View Post

I use Pro Logic IIz with a 9.1 configuration. I'm not an audiophile but it sounds great to me. I'm using for all sources. Seems to really enhance mp3 quality more than anything else.

Have you tried multi channel stereo for music. Sounds very powerful.

GT monster 05-09-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammite View Post

I think I may have finally found a worthy upgrade to my str-da4es. it still runs great but no hdmi.

You will love this amp... I used it to upgrade my old STR- VA333ES which now resides in my bedroom as the second zone to my STR-DA5800ES. The 333 didn't have HDMI but is able to throughput component in 1080 so I bought HDMI to component and component to HDMI converters with audio capability. I now have Video from Zone 1 to My TV via HDMI.

GT monster 05-09-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1yag1 View Post

wondering if it has assignable powered zones and how many

Zone 2 is A/V
Zone 3 is Audio only

GT monster 05-09-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatlinburger View Post

Anyone using a 9.1 or 9.2 channel setup and DTS Neo X or Pro Logic iiz? How does it sound? How did you like the DCAC setup? Is this the OFFICIAL thread for the STR-DA5800ES? Thanks.

I read the Andrew Robinson review of this AVR and he said it was the best receiver he has ever heard! He also mentioned that the DCAC auto setup was brilliant.

DCAC set-up was easy. Just hold the mic in your normal seating position, stay below it so as not to block sound and keep silent...press Start... select speaker ohms and surround back. After a some sounds and loud thuds the system set itself up. Choose calibration as flat when done. I noticed how resonance in the walls of the room are practically gone now. It sounds great.

AYColumbia 05-10-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT monster View Post

DCAC set-up was easy. Just hold the mic in your normal seating position, stay below it so as not to block sound and keep silent...press Start... select speaker ohms and surround back. After a some sounds and loud thuds the system set itself up. Choose calibration as flat when done. I noticed how resonance in the walls of the room are practically gone now. It sounds great.
A better option is to use a camera tripod if you have one. wink.gif

Johnchu88 05-21-2013 11:44 PM

You said that the temperature was at least 120F, after listening for hours of music. I was wondering whether your receiver has good ventilation. I am preparing to install the Sony STR-da5800. My current Onkyo 905 receiver (also 140watts/ch) is in a build-in cabinet, against the wall with no ventilation and with a front glass door. Onkyo 905 operated fine, not too hot. I originally have a fan to help the ventilation. But, I took it out, as it was making noise. Without the fan, the Onkyo operated fine, and not that hot either. Would you comment on the ventilation?

John

Johnchu88 05-21-2013 11:44 PM

You said that the temperature was at least 120F, after listening for hours of music. I was wondering whether your receiver has good ventilation. I am preparing to install the Sony STR-da5800. My current Onkyo 905 receiver (also 140watts/ch) is in a build-in cabinet, against the wall with no ventilation and with a front glass door. Onkyo 905 operated fine, not too hot. I originally have a fan to help the ventilation. But, I took it out, as it was making noise. Without the fan, the Onkyo operated fine, and not that hot either. Would you comment on the ventilation?

John