Replacing an Onkyo 805 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-08-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It still works, but it often cuts off at higher volumes (especially depending on source material - some Blu-rays are highly problematic, others not so much). It's not as bad as it used to be - I re-did all my wiring with banana plugs a while back at the advice of some folks on this forum and I can usually use it at pretty comfortable volume levels now, but it's still annoying.

So, given this criteria, I was wondering what you guys would suggest?

- Not exactly driving great speakers - Infinity P362's/PC350, some ancient Athena bookshelf rears, and a Polk PSW110 (but except for probably replacing the rear's soon I'm pretty content with my setup)
- I have a DVDO iScan Duo so I'm not really concerned much with anything to do with video processing
- Otherwise pretty happy with the Onkyo and how it sounds

So here's the real question: can I keep the Onkyo 805 and get an amplifier to take some stress off of it?

Alternatively, should I just replace it with an 818 (or similarly-priced receiver from another manufacturer) or get something plus an amp?

I can spend $800-$1000, but I'd really rather not (especially if I only really need one or the other).

Thanks for any input smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page