What is the smallest form factor 5.1 amp out there? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wifey came to the conclusion today that her kitchen needs better sound than what comes out of her TV. So, still in the box are a set of Def Tech 600 speakers and the little sub that'll be just right for her 120 sq ft kitchen. BUT... her idea of a reasonable component size is the same size as her AppleTV. She bitches about the space that is taken by the Direct TV receiver.
Need: 10 to 100 watts per channel X 5 and sub out. Optical in. That's about it.
Anybody have any leads? I haven't shopped around at all lately for audio gear.

Here's her space... http://www.avsforum.com/t/743823/ok-your-lcd-you-tell-me-got-a-new-one-post-it-here/1470#post_22651693
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

i have one of these yamaha hd neo thingies sitting around doing nothing...

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/media-controllers/ymc-500_black__u/

drop me a pm if interested... i'm purging spare equipment cheap rhese days... smile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You want 5.1 surround in the kitchen? The smallest AV receivers I know of a Marantz's SlimLine models, like the NR1403. They're shorter than your typical receiver, but still are going to be a a fair bigger than a DirecTV box.

If you just wanted stereo you might be able to find something much smaller that you could connect to the DirecTV box's analogue outputs.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Chris, but I have a Neo HD too, and She hates it, and too big. Ross yep, She wants 5.1, and she's NOT willing to give up any more of her shelf space, but maybe I can get her down to stereo, it would be a lot easier. She does't want the in-ceiling speakers I got her either.
The WAF is all important on this one, note no back-splash yet, nothing has been found that says wow yet to her.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

darn, and i woulda given it to you in exchange for a pet shelter donation... frown.gif

not sure what is going to be smaller...

i vote "remotely locate"... will be more of a pita since you'll have to pull wire, but it'll be out of sight that way... good rf remote, and you'll be in business...

side note: i find this situation amusing because it's exactly the opposite in my household... i don't like to see equipment at all, and my wife likes everything out in view... smile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #6 of 7 Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
darn, and i woulda given it to you in exchange for a pet shelter donation... frown.gif
not sure what is going to be smaller...
i vote "remotely locate"... will be more of a pita since you'll have to pull wire, but it'll be out of sight that way... good rf remote, and you'll be in business...
side note: i find this situation amusing because it's exactly the opposite in my household... i don't like to see equipment at all, and my wife likes everything out in view... smile.gif

DUH!! That's the solution, Thanks! There is a closet directly above her shelves and dropping wires in the wall wont be too bad of a PIA right there, I think . Now to get the DirectTV unit up there too, she would be much happier.
Here's the other side of the kitchen...
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/mndwgz/4360/?action=view&current=142_1382.mp4
post #7 of 7 Old 12-09-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

lol, sometimes the answer is staring you right in the face... smile.gif i've been there too many times... redface.gif

yea, stuff it all away somewhere where she can't see it... that's really your best bet... if you can get speaker wire up there, you should be able to get coax for the dtv box up there too... and then either use an ir extender or an rf remote to control it...

might have to run an outlet to where you need it, but that's no biggie...

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page