A little advice on Denon 5805 and dual sub setup. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need a little help from those in the know, a little confused by the Front/Back, Main/LFE, Left/Right options for using two subs.

I just added a second Quad L Series 300w sub. It's mostly for 7.1 home theater, wondering what the best setup is...before I do the Audessey MultiEQ XT routine.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Generally you would use the LFE input on the sub from the sub output of your avr and let your Audyssey setup the crossover etc. Not sure what you mean by Front/Back, is that on the sub or your avr? By left/right is that the output from the avr? Not much stereo content for subs in any case, but you could do that.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 18 Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

The 5805 gives ou the option of upnto 3 dedicated sub outputs. It gives you configurations options of L/R, F/B, Main/LFE for a 2 sub setup.

Complicated eh?
post #4 of 18 Old 12-08-2012, 10:32 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Regardless of the setup configuration you choose, both subs will be pinged as a single sub using XT. Select the configuration you are currently using as far as the Front/Back or Left/Right is concerned as those are the more ideal locations for dual subs.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 18 Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert View Post

The 5805 gives ou the option of upnto 3 dedicated sub outputs. It gives you configurations options of L/R, F/B, Main/LFE for a 2 sub setup.

Complicated eh?

I didn't look at the 5805 manual and you said 7.1.....and you've got 7.3! Now I gotta go see what the differences are....sounds interesting.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #6 of 18 Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I didn't look at the 5805 manual and you said 7.1.....and you've got 7.3! Now I gotta go see what the differences are....sounds interesting.

Look in the manual for no other reason that its the only manual denon made that made any sense. We can argue if the 5805 was the best receiver they ever made but we can't argue that its the best manual they made smile.gif

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #7 of 18 Old 12-09-2012, 04:23 AM
585-645-1006

Yeh, the guy who wrote it must have retired before the newer manuals were published. tongue.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #8 of 18 Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yeh, the guy who wrote it must have retired before the newer manuals were published. tongue.gif

In fact we asked about it years ago and they told us it was made by (or with help) of a external company unlike all the manuals before or after so you are close smile.gif

You can guess or feelings when we got the avp + poa and the manual where well ehmm a little less....

Daniel.

post #9 of 18 Old 12-09-2012, 04:50 AM
585-645-1006

To be sure ... especially with the cash outlay for those two puppies. eek.gif

post #10 of 18 Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be sure ... especially with the cash outlay for those two puppies. eek.gif

Well the good news is as a result we have had a sticky thread on this forum for 5 years with 100+ owners that know nearly anything about the units. In fact i notice you answer many questions on these forums that should be in manuals. We now live in a different world where google is faster than any manual but it has to find answers written by people like you so thanks for that.

Daniel.

post #11 of 18 Old 12-09-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Guys where's the sticky on the 5805, I couldn't find it.

Audyssey actually pings each sub separately. I have it set at the moment to LFE/Main. The subs are at the front of the room on the inside of the mains. Interestingly it set the Main Sub at -6db and the LFE at -3db.

In the separate sub settings page I have it set to THX so it's LFE only, not LFE plus mains, however the Sub getting the Mains feed still works.

What the manual doesn't explain is if you choose the L/R or F/B options over LFE/Main option what happens to the LFE track?

Tempted to also try using a Y cable and just tell the system u have one dub to get pure LFE on both, but I'm sure the clever Denon folks have set these options for a reason?
post #12 of 18 Old 12-09-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Did a little looking around, that's some avr you have there. I didn't see a sticky either. The LFE+Main thing apparently is only when you have your main speakers set to large, it has no effect when they're at small....have you seen batpig's page? http://batpigworld.com/wp/

post #13 of 18 Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 PM
585-645-1006

Although there are a number of small 5805 threads, if any of them were ever "stickied" it has long since be "unstickied" for several years at least (either that or I simply never noticed it as it was so far above my paygrade tongue.gif ). Although both subs may be pinged separately, they are indeed summed together for a final EQ. It would seem the LFE/Main setting splits each signal to a separate sub, while the F/B and L/R mix the LFE + lower frequencies of speakers set to SMALL (or LARGE speakers set to LFE+Main) just as would be done with most AVRs.

post #14 of 18 Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Although there are a number of small 5805 threads, if any of them were ever "stickied" it has long since be "unstickied" for several years at least (either that or I simply never noticed it as it was so far above my paygrade tongue.gif ). Although both subs may be pinged separately, they are indeed summed together for a final EQ. It would seem the LFE/Main setting splits each signal to a separate sub, while the F/B and L/R mix the LFE + lower frequencies of speakers set to SMALL (or LARGE speakers set to LFE+Main) just as would be done with most AVRs.

This is what I was wondering. Audyssey sets my mains, actually all my speakers except the Center as large (Quad 22/12/11/C L Series)

In the sub menu I have it set as THX which means LFE only.

I have the dual sub setup as LFE/Main.

The Quads really do produce a decent amount of bass so I don't want to set them to small. I know people say you can't tell where the low freqs come from but I don't agree. A nice low BOOM coming from mid air on one side of the room is noticeable!
post #15 of 18 Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
585-645-1006

As long as you've compared them when set to SMALL/80Hz and prefer the current LARGE settings, that's your call. However, note that XT has 8x more sub filters than speaker filters which is why it's recommended to set them to SMALL/80Hz and let all the lower frequencies get the better EQ. Upgrading to a newer model with the more advanced XT32 would be a different story as XT32 has the same number of speaker and filter control points.

post #16 of 18 Old 12-11-2012, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Is it possible to get an outboard XT32 processor? I managed to pick up the 5805 for $1,000 on eBay, it's a fantastic sounding piece of gear that originally cost $6,000 so don't want to replace it.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-11-2012, 05:37 AM
585-645-1006

Nope. frown.gif

post #18 of 18 Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Life is so cruel.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page