Yamaha HTR-4065 set up question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I am quite new to this area of 5.1 surround sound. I started with a Samsung all-in-one receiver that also came with 4 small speakers, a subwoofer and a center speaker. I worked well for the most part, except I would occasionally notice a distinct drop off in volume which I could overcome by touching the volume button and raise the volume only a single digit. In other words, a very small increase through the remote resulted in getting the full volume back again. This would occur most often when we tried to watch programming supplied by our cable company.
So I bought the Yamaha HTR-4065 thinking that perhaps there was a flaw in the Samsung unit. I connected the Yamaha unit but I have no "voice," through the speakers. Just the background sound like music, or during a football game I can easily hear the crowd, but not the announcers. I'm stumped.
The speakers seem to be hooked up correctly. When I turn on the radio feature I get excellent sound through all the speakers. When I run a blu-ray disc I get very good sound throughout.
Would anyone be able to tell me what I need to do to get all the speakers to work with the TV? Did I program something incorrectly during the set up procedure?
I would like to get better at this. But right now I'm feeling a bit helpless with new technology.
Thank you for any advice or suggestions.
Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-28-2012, 02:23 AM

Try toggling with the sound settings (stereo..Dolby prologic ....etc). Include details on the cable you r using for connecting the Tv ..composite. or hdmi
post #3 of 3 Old 12-28-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you to all who helped. After trying several of the suggestions the following came to light.
1) my center speaker did not have a good connection, thus did not work. Reconnected and all is good.
2) I thought I could run the TV using just the tv speakers without having to turn on the 4065. Apparently not so. Some of my problems were that I was trying to do things the system was not capable of doing.
3) Did not have the HDMI cables "labled" correctly; ie. HDMI 1 was in the HDMI 2 port, and so forth.
4) My son-in-law, who is far better with these things than I am, was able to track down these issues and help me get them corrected. smile.gif
Anyway, I now have a beautiful receiver which is still capable of more than I need, but which works perfectly.
Thanks again to everyone.
Glen
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page