Just got my Denon 1612. Need some input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently upgraded from a Denon 1709 to a 1612 (thanks to my fellow avsforum members for finding me a sweet deal). I had a couple questions.

I noticed I have to turn the volume up much louder then on the 1709, even though they are rated within 5watts of each other in power/channel. Why is this?

For some reason, every time I change my input it reverts back to dynamic EQ. I like to keep dynamic EQ and Volume off most of the time. How do I keep this from resetting?

When running my ps3/ and wii U it doesn't show which audio codec it's using (trueHD etc). It used to do this on my 1709 during games/movies but no longer. How can I get this back?

The sound seems a bit more hallow compared to the 1709. I have only run the Audyssey tuner with the mic for two locations, but nothing else. On my 1709, I didn't know that each time it ran the Audyssey mic test I was supposed to move my mic. It was only on the 1612 when it said on the screen to go to position 2, 3 etc. that I realized I was probably supposed to move it. Could that be a reason? However the 1709 seemed fuller and louder no matter where I sat, not just in the calibrated spot. Would it be beneficial for me to run 2 tests in each of my 2 seating arrangements? Does it get more accurate with more tests?

My setup is :
4 x Energy c-100 speakers front and surrounds
1 x Energy c-c100 center channel
1 x H100 Premier Acoustic PA-120 Subwoofer
Denon 1612

Thanks for the help!

*EDIT*

I just ran across some lovely advice from batpig that I will apply when I get back. Maybe this will help fill out my sound (this is what I did last time).

Going to set sub to phase = 0, disable/turn crossover all the way up, volume to 1/2.
Then rerun Audyssey.
Then set LFE to 120hz, set my c-100's to 80hz

However, I am still curious about the other questions.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Not really an upgrade as both units use the same version of Audyssey MultEQ. Were you using Dyn EQ on the 1709 as that sets reference volume to 0db? You're actually much better served leaving Dyn EQ set to ON for all sources. Note unless you had the 1709 firmware updated, it has a defect when using Audyssey MultEQ and bitstreamed audio (ie. bloated bass). If the front panel display doesn't show the audio codec being received it likely means the PS3 is set to PCM. Regardless of how many "actual" seats you have, you want to run all 6 mic positions, with the #1 mic position at the main listening position (ear height) using either a camera tripod or mic boom stand (as suggested in your Owner's manual) and the remaining 5 positions within a 2'-3' radius around that #1 mic position. Review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig to better understand the Audyssey process.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Not really an upgrade as both units use the same version of Audyssey MultEQ. Were you using Dyn EQ on the 1709 as that sets reference volume to 0db? You're actually much better served leaving Dyn EQ set to ON for all sources. Note unless you had the 1709 firmware updated, it has a defect when using Audyssey MultEQ and bitstreamed audio (ie. bloated bass). If the front panel display doesn't show the audio codec being received it likely means the PS3 is set to PCM. Regardless of how many "actual" seats you have, you want to run all 6 mic positions, with the #1 mic position at the main listening position (ear height) using either a camera tripod or mic boom stand (as suggested in your Owner's manual) and the remaining 5 positions within a 2'-3' radius around that #1 mic position. Review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig to better understand the Audyssey process.

The 1612 is an "upgrade" in terms of the gui and ability to play 5.1 over hdmi. In addition to the newer codecs (trueHD etc..)
I turned dynamic EQ off on my 1709. I thought it sounded cleaner. I never upgraded the firmware, but it might have already had an upgraded firmware on it since I bought it well into its lifespan.
Is it not possible to make it so my 1612 stops defaulting to dynamic EQ?
When you say run all 6 mic positions and then the rest within 2-3'. What if I have 2 mic positions? Should I run 3 at 1 and 3 at the other?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page