Onkyo TX-NR616 Very Low Volume - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just bought Onkyo TX-NR616 and I connected it with a 5.1 system (Wharfedale DX-1 HCP). I updated to lates firmware (400), I did the initial setup including Audyssey but the audio output is very low. I checked all the connections, polarity is fine.
When waching TV or hearing music via USB or radio, at level 55/60 I hear at normal level. With the Avatar BR I had to put the audio at level 75 to hear it normal.

Is this also happening to any of you?
What audio level do you hear music or play movies?

Thanks,

Felipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-29-2012, 04:50 PM

I'm having the same issue with my TX-NR616, the volume display shows 50+ for normal listening volumes (TV) and in the 60 to 70s for an action movie.

Not sure if this is normal or an issue. I also did the Audyssey setup.

Chris
post #3 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Check intelivolume setting and change it from 0 to +6db or more and you will notice the huge difference. You can setup intellivol independenlty per each input.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice javygonx,

Apart from running Audyssey, Onkyo guys recomended going to Speaker setup > level calibration and by using a sound metre app (you can get one from the android market for your mobile or tablet) to ensure that all the audio speakers read at about 75db. I did that. As you suggest I also modifed a little bit the intelivolume setting specially for TV and blu ray. This is now in +6bd. I have no mayor problems with the audio volume, I can watch TV with the volume around 60 and watch movies with the audio around 75 or higher. I am just a little bit surprise that I have to increase the volume so much to hear at about 75bd and I was wondering if this is normal or if there's something wrong in my AV. The room is about 16 square meters.

It doesn't make sense to return the AV and get another one if this is just the way it works...

Thanks for your help,
post #5 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filpo View Post

Thanks for the advice javygonx,

Apart from running Audyssey, Onkyo guys recomended going to Speaker setup > level calibration and by using a sound metre app (you can get one from the android market for your mobile or tablet) to ensure that all the audio speakers read at about 75db. I did that. As you suggest I also modifed a little bit the intelivolume setting specially for TV and blu ray. This is now in +6bd. I have no mayor problems with the audio volume, I can watch TV with the volume around 60 and watch movies with the audio around 75 or higher. I am just a little bit surprise that I have to increase the volume so much to hear at about 75bd and I was wondering if this is normal or if there's something wrong in my AV. The room is about 16 square meters.

It doesn't make sense to return the AV and get another one if this is just the way it works...

Thanks for your help,

Do me a a favor and go into the set up menu and change your volume control to the dB scale then report back on what -dB levels you get when comfortably listening to your different sources and material. I believe most people are like myself and only use the -dB scale for volume and as such dont have much of a clue on how loud relatively the non -dB volume is...essentially I have no idea if 50 or 70 or 30 or what ever is loud of quiet.

fwiw on both my denon 1611 and my onkyo 809 most sources and material most of the time are listened to at levels between -30dB to -10dB, with -10dB being really loud and -30dB good for late night listening levels.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM

I just got an NR616 a couple of days ago. I also thought it strange to have the volume up to more than half (50+) for a normal volume. I did the adjustments and now it seems more normal.
I'm getting a new HDTV in a couple of weeks and this is my first AV receiver experience. The 616 offers a lot of options. I have Linn Keilidh for my main speakers so bi-amp operation is a nice option.
The sound for movies is quite good. TV also is very nice. Question I have - for listening to normal music the sound seems kind of anemic. I'm still poking around so maybe I'll get a better result but so far my old "stereo" setup was much more satisfying for music.
Overall I'm happy with the home theatre operation and haven't had any horror stories to report (yet). Just wondering what others impressions were.
There's a mountain of posts about problems but I haven't seen too much on evaluating the sound.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-10-2013, 01:17 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
As you've posted in a specific "problem" thread, you may want to consider reposting in the Owner's thread ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403172/onkyo-new-avrs-tx-nr818-717-616-official-discussion-no-price-talk-thread/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 8 Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 AM

i agree it,Just wondering what others impressions were.There's a mountain of posts about problems.thanks 10.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread - Nr616 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page