Question about 7.1 sources on 5.1 systems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Watching a BluRay right now. When I navigate to "info" on my receiver or on the PS3 for the source currently playing, it says it's currently outputting 7.1 Multi Channel... Except the PS3 it's aware that the source was originally DTS-HD MA, and labels it as such, although the PS3 output is set to LPCM (I have an older PS3 which can't bitstream anyway, and I'm perfectly content to have the PS3 do the decoding)

But I only have a 5.1 receiver (the Denon 1713). I would have assumed that in the absence of 7 speakers, the PS3 would send the receiver a 5.1 mix.... but according to the info panes I'm receiving the 7.1 mix.

So my question is just whether I'm missing anything this way. Is the material intended for the back surrounds just being fed to the surrounds? How does the player/receiver sort this out?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
The receiver reroutes the back surround information to the surrounds. In general all receivers reroute incoming channels to whatever speakers are actually connected to the receiver.

Steve S.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinvan View Post

Hi all,
Watching a BluRay right now. When I navigate to "info" on my receiver or on the PS3 for the source currently playing, it says it's currently outputting 7.1 Multi Channel... Except the PS3 it's aware that the source was originally DTS-HD MA, and labels it as such, although the PS3 output is set to LPCM (I have an older PS3 which can't bitstream anyway, and I'm perfectly content to have the PS3 do the decoding)
But I only have a 5.1 receiver (the Denon 1713). I would have assumed that in the absence of 7 speakers, the PS3 would send the receiver a 5.1 mix.... but according to the info panes I'm receiving the 7.1 mix.
So my question is just whether I'm missing anything this way. Is the material intended for the back surrounds just being fed to the surrounds? How does the player/receiver sort this out?
Chris

From what it sounds like, you have the PS3 outputting 7.1 to your receiver. In this scenario, your receiver will decide how to direct the audio channels.

You can alternatively, setup your PS3 to output only 5.1 to your receiver. In this case, the PS3 would decide how to direct the audio channels.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies.... Hmm, wonder what does a better job of deciding how to downmix the channels, the PS3 or the Denon 1713?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 367
If the receiver is 5.1 capable at max, it cannot accept a 7.1 PCM stream. If the source on the disc is 7.1 PCM, the BD player will output a 5.1 version that it downmixed.

If the source is HDMA or TrueHD, those carry a complete 5.1 mix in addition to extra 2 rear channels. The 5.1 mix can be decoded and output as PCM. Alternatively, the player can deliver the entire 7.1 encoded bitstream to the AVR, which will understand how to extract the 5.1 mix and ignore the rest.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs