Yet another Entry Level receiver thread... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've done some poking around here, but there's lots of threads....so thought I'd make another one....

Suggestions for a entry level receiver in the $300-$450 or so range.

I've got 42" Plasma, Playstation 3, iphone/pod, and a turntable. Looking for something decent that can handle all three. Preferably only 5.1. Won't need 7.1 or anything based on living space, etc. Not looking for 3D or anything like that.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 03:55 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
Pretty much all AVR released in the past 2-3 years will be 3D capabile so that will come as an added feature regardless of whether required or not. Check with your local area Best Buy stores as you can likely get a good clearance deal on one of last year's models. Review post #2 in each of the Denon AVR-XX12 and XX13 Owner's threads linked in my sig to get an idea of available features on these models. Consider the 1612 if you don't need networking and a 1613 if you do want networking (ie. to include capability to turn on/off the AVR via a smart phone, iPad, or tablet).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 12-13-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the help.

What are people's thoughts on the Onkyo NR616. I realize it's 7.1 and is contradictory to what I've previously posted, and I realize there's widespread issues with it, but just trying to get an idea of multiple options.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM
585-645-1006

If you have a subwoofer, note that the 717 and lower Onkyo models only use the most basic version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ a subwoofer, something that MultEQ in the 1612 and 1613 can do. Choose Onkyo for features and Denon for better audio fidelity whichever you prefer.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Opinion on the Denon AVR 1713?

The more I think, I'll have the PS3 for games/dvd/Blu-ray.
Turntable for music. Iphone for music (can use the USB on the front, or streaming)
Cable/Satellite.

I dont need a second zone or 7.1....I know I keep going back and forth in my posts, but 7.1 really isnt a necessity or priority....

I would have a subwoofer.

I was looking at accessories4less, and see they're a certified denon refurb seller. I mean other than the unit being used, but refurbished, it's practically brand new, yes?

Is there any hesitation going through them by people on here?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 PM
585-645-1006

AC4L has been around for over 10 years and often recommended in this forum for mfr refurbished units so purchase with confidence, although make sure to "call" AVS Sales and Electronics Expo first as you may get a similar price for a brand new unit. smile.gif

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! thank you!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPodz View Post

I've done some poking around here, but there's lots of threads....so thought I'd make another one....
Suggestions for a entry level receiver in the $300-$450 or so range.
I've got 42" Plasma, Playstation 3, iphone/pod, and a turntable. Looking for something decent that can handle all three. Preferably only 5.1. Won't need 7.1 or anything based on living space, etc. Not looking for 3D or anything like that.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPodz View Post

Opinion on the Denon AVR 1713?
The more I think, I'll have the PS3 for games/dvd/Blu-ray.
Turntable for music. Iphone for music (can use the USB on the front, or streaming)
Cable/Satellite.
I dont need a second zone or 7.1....I know I keep going back and forth in my posts, but 7.1 really isnt a necessity or priority....
I would have a subwoofer.
I was looking at accessories4less, and see they're a certified denon refurb seller. I mean other than the unit being used, but refurbished, it's practically brand new, yes?
Is there any hesitation going through them by people on here?

We drifted away from what Jpod was looking for in an entry level receiver. He's old school and has a turntable. Needs something with a phono input. Look for a receiver with more inputs for the future. I have no problems with open box or refurbed items. I do agree that the Denon receivers have a warmer sound, but the Onkyo usually offers more hdmi inputs and a phono input, at a reasonable price point.

onkyo 709 at a4L 449.99
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR709/Onkyo-TX-NR709-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I've got a preamp, so is a dedicated phono input really necessary?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM
585-645-1006

Nope.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST