Denon 2113CI audio issues over HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recently purchased a Denon 2113CI and am experiencing issues with audio over HDMI. On both my HTPC and PS3, when navigating around the menu the "click" sound of the GUI is low/non-existent unless audio coming from the device is consistent.

I've posted a video in which I'm clicking cycling through XBMC menu options by pressing up or down at different intervals:

It's hard to tell from this video, but on the button presses where there is no audio, the GUI does play a very soft or dampened click. The same "dampening" occurs with my PS3 menu. It seems that once audio is playing (like when I click quickly), or if a media file is playing, there's no issue.

One thing to note: when the receiver was off, the passthrough HDMI audio/video to the TV played fine so I believe that fact, as well as the PS3 having similar symptoms, would mean it's something with the receiver.

What I've done for troubleshooting:

The obvious thought that came to mind was some sort of Dynamic EQ or volume control setting. I cycled through each of the Audyssey settings (Dynamic EQ on/off; Dynamic Volume heavy/medium/light/off) as well as disabling Audyssey completely. I also tried the different compression restorer settings as well as different sound modes.

Can anyone out there give me a hand?

EDIT: Added a second video, this time the volume was maxed in order to illustrate the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 01:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 148 OM).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I tried the reset twice and it didn't change anything. I see in your signature now the recommendation of resetting 3 or 4 times so I'll try that when I'm home. By the way, thanks for your work with the XX12/13 threads as they were a big help in my decision making.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I get the same thing from my AppleTV when moving around. Sometimes I hear the audio feedback and sometimes not quite. I just figured it is just the way it is and hadn't given it a thought till I read this thread.

Otherwise everything is just fine and it always plays and sounds good.

Lloyd
post #5 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 148 OM).

No change after multiple resets. I can see on the receiver when nothing is happening that both PCM and Digital are illuminated but when I do the "soft/slow" press PCM disappears. When I click through normally or when there's continuous audio, bit stay lit.

Another thing to note: I'm only seeing this issue when audio is coming from my HTPC in WASAPI mode. DirectSound works fine but I prefer to have a solution which allows for WASAPI to pass the audio to the AVR for processing.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page