Help Please -- Sony STR-DN1030 setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-13-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I could use some help setting up my new Sony STR-DN1030 to play inside with Speakers A and outside with speakers B.

We have wired the 5.1 speaker setup in the living room and run 2 lines for 2 speakers outside on our patio.
Went into the settings and turned on Speakers B.
When we watch TV or listen to music with speaker A everything is fine.
The problem is when we want to play music on the patio...The speaker B setup plays outside AND also plays inside on the center channel and surround speakers :-(

Is there a way I can make the center channel and surround channel turn off when in speaker B setup? Hope this is NOT a dumb question, but Im not sure how to get it to work.

Thanks for your time,
cpc9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-13-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc9 View Post

Hello All,
I could use some help setting up my new Sony STR-DN1030 to play inside with Speakers A and outside with speakers B.
We have wired the 5.1 speaker setup in the living room and run 2 lines for 2 speakers outside on our patio.
The problem is when we want to play music on the patio...The speaker B setup plays outside AND also plays inside on the center channel and surround speakers :-(
Is there a way I can make the center channel and surround channel turn off when in speaker B setup? Hope this is NOT a dumb question, but Im not sure how to get it to work.
Thanks for your time,
cpc9

Change the output to 2 channel stereo or whatever Sony uses for stereo. Then change it back when you listen in your room.

That's pretty much the only solution for how you have it wired. Which actually is not a bad idea since then you get around the analog only limitation of most zone 2 implementations.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 8 Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 404
If you set the sound mode to Stereo then it will only play thru the left and right speakers.

Afro GT
post #4 of 8 Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 235
It looks like your receiver has a powered zone 2. Why not use that?
post #5 of 8 Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

It looks like your receiver has a powered zone 2. Why not use that?

Oops, looks like it's not powered, so scratch that. I've never seen a 7.2 receiver without powered zone 2.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 PM

Did you ever figure out this issue? I'm thinking of buying this unit for my new house and it has the same set up as you described. I'm coming over from a standard 5.1 setup and I'm not really sure the best way to hook up the 2 outside speakers. I think I would want the same audio running out to the pool as is playing in the house, as in most occasions it would be a game on with people going inside and out. Would that be the proper set up? Could I accomplish the same thing with 2nd zone audio, something this one does not have. Also, it says this unit has 2 zones but the second is not powered so does that mean I cant run 2 different sources? sorry for the n00bish questions.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelemur View Post

Did you ever figure out this issue? I'm thinking of buying this unit for my new house and it has the same set up as you described. I'm coming over from a standard 5.1 setup and I'm not really sure the best way to hook up the 2 outside speakers. I think I would want the same audio running out to the pool as is playing in the house, as in most occasions it would be a game on with people going inside and out. Would that be the proper set up? Could I accomplish the same thing with 2nd zone audio, something this one does not have. Also, it says this unit has 2 zones but the second is not powered so does that mean I cant run 2 different sources? sorry for the n00bish questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc9 View Post

Hello All,

Thanks for your time,
cpc9

You need to power the second zone with another amp. No big deal for me. I have a smaller amp I am using but I only use it for outdoor speakers.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelemur View Post

I have my STR-DN1030 set up exactly like this. 5.2 in the living room, 2 speakers on the patio/pool. The receiver is capable of 7.2 one on zone or 5.2+2 when divided into zones.

The second zone is powered. You can choose to not power it by choosing a "Bi-Amp" setting. Menu->Speaker->SB Assign. Options are off (no second zone), Bi-amp, and Spk B (which enables the B zone).

To play the main zone: just have speakers A.

To play both: set A+B.

Now there's a bit of a hiccup if you want only B on. You see, if your sound field is set to Multi Stereo (or any surround setting), the surround speakers (center+rear) are always on, regardless of which speaker zone is selected. Thus, to play only the B speakers, set speakers to B and the sound field to "2CH St."

I felt compelled to make a post (and account) because this thread is a top Google search result. smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page