Need help Hooking up Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-13-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I just received my Pioneer SC-1222k receiver. This is the first HDMI receiver that I have owned. I have so many questions but I will just start with the basics.

All I am running is my Direct TV Sat and a PS3. I have the HDMI ins from each component and the TV out ran.
1) What do I need to do to have the option of watching Direct TV but with only the TV speakers and not the surround sound.
2) Is there an option where I don't need to turn on the receiver in order for the Satellite signal to passthrough? Basically just want TV without the AVR on.

We have small children so surround sound all the time is not a practical option, as I like my alone time!!

Thanks for all your help, I always thought I was tech savvy but not after I received this monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
The manual froze up on me twice while trying to download. Look for pass through capabilities, some do require a higher power consumption on standby mode that allows the avr to remain off and pass through the hdmi signal. You will still likely have to adjust the tv's speaker settings each time you want one or the other....personally even at low volume levels I far more prefer the avr sound than the crappy speakers most tv's come with now.

Also many avrs have good low volume settings for an adjusted dynamic range to help out...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 3 Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Make sure to look at what hdmi port on the receiver has pass through. This should allow you to pass the video and audio from satellite to the tv. You will have to manually turn the tv speakers on and off. I agree that the avr at low volume is better than any tv speaker. I'm pretty sure your receiver will have a night time volume setting to lower bass.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page