Replacing an Onkyo SR805 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finally have had it with my Onkyo 805. We just moved into a house and the Onkyo sitting in storage decided to have the dreaded HDMI issues. Tried fixing it with new capacitors and it didn't work. So now I am looking for something to replace it. I don't think I will ever buy an Onkyo again after reading about all of the same issues on other models.

I want something with at least 4 HDMI in, 5 or more would be better. We also have speakers on an outdoor deck, so a zone 2 that can play while still watching 5.1 is a must. We have a 5.1 speaker setup already. I really like the idea of being able to network with my music too. We have Android phones so that would be nice if there was an app for that stuff. I watch mostly movies coming from a Dune media player that are in TrueHD. And then watching cable as well. I also play video games part of the time and it would be nice to start having music playing in and out of the house more frequently as I work from home. I might have to start using that deck with my laptop to take in some more sun.

The models that keep standing out to me are the Denon 2112 or Yamaha 671 receiver. So the price range seems like something around $400 or less would be good. I don't mind buying refurbished but would rather not if possible. I also would prefer to save money by buying a last years model instead of the newest. What are some other good models to look at? And no more Onkyo please, I can't take it anymore with all the heat issues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think your choices of Denon 2112 or Yamaha 671 are excellent options and probably won't find anything better at your price level. Only other things I can think of would be the Harman Kardon 2600 for $299 new right now or a refurb 3600 for $399. Both come with a standard 2 year warranty. The 2600 and 3600 are older models so some features are dated, though they are still hdmi 1.4 compliant and were still being manufactured at least through March of this year. The 3600 has a full set of pre-outs which is becoming rarer these days. Just choose the one whose features seem to most closely align with your needs and I'm sure you would be happy with any of these options.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 09:21 AM

Liked: 10
I am also looking to replace the 805. It is rated at 130W a channel compared to the Yahama 671 which is at 105 and the newer 673 is at 90.. That being said the Yahamas look pretty nice.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Don't get too hung up on power. It takes a doubling of power to give a mere 3 db increase in output. It is true, that out of the two H/ks, the 2112 and the yamahas, when you drive 5-7 channels, the Yamaha will be the weakest. For two channel performance, the Denon 2112 will likely give you the msot output out of all of these. The H/K 3600 will provide the most power out of all these when driving 5-7 channels ( twice that of the Yamaha from bench testing and most comparable to your 805). The 2112 and H/K 2600 will be around the same with 5-7 channels driven (perhaps slight edge to the 2600 which proved it could hold its own against a Denon 2310 in 5 channel testing), but the 2600 will be about the level of the 671 if not a little lower when only driving two channels. With all that said, it is unlikely to make much difference in a vast majority of configurations. 90 watts vs 105 watts is virtually nothing and note that the power ratings are so ridiculously screwed up with most manufacturers that it is virtually impossible to know how they compare without actual bench tests. The 671 and 673 are actually the same, the power difference just reflects that they were measured in two different ways as seen in this comparison chart:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?selected=372797_221391_&mode=compare
post #5 of 7 Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up finding the Denon 2112 online at Frys and they had at least 1 in stock for $399.99. I got there and they couldn't find it on the computer. After looking around for a while they finally found there was a demo unit. He brought the price up and said its $499.99 MSRP and the demo wouldn't have a discount. After a lot of agitation going back and forth with this guy, I finally got him to bring up Frys.com and he said okay let me talk to my manager to match the online price. WTF????

Fast forward and after he just ended up walking away from me I went to the manager myself. He said buy it online and ship to store. I think my blank look of confusion made him say don't worry pick up in store and we will take care of the pricing along with the demo discount. So it wouldn't find the unit online af the last step of checkout. He finally said hold on and made up a price of $369.99. The only sucky part was that the demo units come with nothing. I guess if the power plug could be taken off they wouldn't give that to me either. But its hard to beat $369.99 with a warranty that starts today as new. I also hope I can use my mic of the Onkyo and already have a logitech harmony link setup. So the receiver will be hidden in a closet running 2 zones. Can't wait to hook this up.

Figured if anyone else was reading this be prepared to deal with even worse than normal Frys typical salespeople and if the store has the unit they really do have them somewhere. Also there were 2 side by side and the original guy only saw one. Yeah Fry's.....
post #6 of 7 Old 12-15-2012, 02:04 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
AFAIK, the 805 came with an older Audyssey mic that is not compatible with the newer Onkyo models nor the newer Denon models. You'll need the ACM-1HB or DM-A409 mic, although you can purchase the former from the Shop Onkyo and the latter from one of Denon's parts distributors or directly from Denon for about $20. smile.gif

Join us in the Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig for setup/troubleshooting issues as well as reviewing the first 6 posts in that thread for more helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 7 Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Just ordered the proper mic. Can't wait to see how much better everything will sound once I get Audyssey setup!!!! After a few weird hiccups with getting sound to come out, I have zone 1 working properly with all of my devices. Next is time to tackle zone 2. Did I mention I am doing all of this using a Harmony Link with my Android phone, as I do not have the original remote. Really liking how Bluray sounds without any special settings.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page