AVS Forum banner

Signal/Noise Ratio Question/ Advice...Please Help!!

403 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mogorf 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm having a really annoying issue with my Onkyo 509. I was watching The Dark Knight Rises on blur ray the other day and the hiss that was coming from the speakers during the softer scenes was soooooo distracting. I've had this avr for well over a year and i've never really noticed that much hiss coming from the speakers. I've read that this is a common issue with the 509, and being its not a high end or even mid level avr it's understandable to me. I found the hiss gets lower if i turn off the 2EQ, so thats what I have it set to now.

Is this an issue you should take into consideration when buying an avr? I'm looking to upgrade in the near future and I just want to know if I'm gonna get an annoying hiss like i do with my 509. Its really annoying and Im willing to pay more if I know I wont get a hiss. I dont listen at really high volumes either. Are there any brands I should avoid because of this issue? My budget will be between $500-800. All i want is clean power and MultEQ or its equal in brands that dont have audyssey.

I have a polk cs20, 2 tsi 500s and 2 tsi 200s fyi.

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm a little surprised that a movie soundtrack is quiet enough to expose hiss in the AVR. That does suggest some significant hiss. Better AVRs will indeed do better than that. And more importantly, they will have better auto-EQ. The 2EQ version is Audyssey's entry level. MultEQ XT the mid, and MultEQ XT32 is the top tier, and the one that actually works properly! If your upgrade can swing an XT32 AVR, you'll rejoice for the sound quality and the absence of hiss.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I was surprised at the amount of hiss I was getting during a movie too. I'll put up with it until I can upgrade. I'm hoping I'm gonna be able to sell my 509, but well see how that goes.

Do you have any AVR suggestions for me to check out? I really only need 5.1. I'm not gonna be adding additional speakers to my setup for a very long time. I will only use it for movies, xbox 360, and cable, so all the other bells and whistles I really dont have to have (streaming etc). I like Onkyo's menu and its ease of use, but I can get the hang of anything. Having said all of that, I don't think there are any 5.1 avrs out there that have XT32 right? I was looking at the Denon 1713 with MultEQXT, but decided to save a little more and get a better, more future proof one. I don't want to have to upgrade my AVR again for a while, so I'll need to get features I dont really need, but if the sound quality is worth it I'm fine with it. I really just want good sound quality, durability, reliability, and especially minimal speaker hiss. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405  /t/1445419/signal-noise-ratio-question-advice-please-help#post_22707802

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I was surprised at the amount of hiss I was getting during a movie too. I'll put up with it until I can upgrade. I'm hoping I'm gonna be able to sell my 509, but well see how that goes.

Did you get down to troubleshooting the hiss issue? No avr available on the market today should have such problem, unless otherwise it a problem with the avr itself. As a last resort you can always reset the microprocessor. Look up the procedures in you avr's Manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.