Can't upgrade audio receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older Kenwood Prologic receiver which still works good. I looked into upgrading to a receiver with Blue Ray technology, but I can't find anything at a resonable price that can handle my 4ohm Cerwin Vega Speakers. They are my front speakers which also act as subwoofers. Most receivers only handle 6 ohms and above. Buying a receiver and two front speakers plus a subwoofer will be pretty expensive. Plus I don't want to get rid of my Cerwin Vegas. I don't want to break the bank since I am now retired. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There are many receivers that can handle 4-ohms but the manufacturer just doesn't rate them as such, particularly for the US market. Unless those speakers are particularly hard to drive, there are probably several options available to you. What is your budget and what type of features are you looking for? Can your provide some specs on those speakers?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:55 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
Also keep in mind that most AVRs can handle 4-ohm speakers at reasonable levels (eg. -30db from reference 0db level). Where it gets iffy is when you approach reference level (ie. 0db) volume. eek.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your responses. I don't want to spend over $500.00 on an audio receiver. The specs are Cerwin Vega VS120, 3 way with 12", 4", and 1" tweeter, 5/200 watts, 4 ohm. I use them in my living room on stereo for music and prologic for DVD, Blueray, and Netflix. For music, I power them up high, but not to the point where it breaks my ears, but healthy enough to get a good sound. For stereo, I do use an external equalizer. For prologic, I don't use the equalizer since there is a problem with one of the channels. I don't know if it's the equalizer or the receiver.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
At those louder volumes, you'll likely have to find an older upper level model that can handle the 4-ohm load much easier.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.