post #31 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoostil View Post

As an installer, I havn't had any HDMI issues in a few years...when there were issues, it wasn't brand specific...more model specific

Curious as to what if any issues you have had with lightning and HDMi?

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any specific examples?
post #33 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I have a friend who had lightning hit a tree in the back yard. Killed the HDMI of DirecTv, Yamaha AVR, and the Mits DLP's HDMI board.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #34 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Class A i'm going to try Ensemble in NH.
post #35 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

In this day and age the apparent corrosion you see may be tin whiskers due to the use of lead-free solder during assembly. The following picture is not of metal shavings dropped into a piece of electrical equipment but rather very large tin whiskers growing on the surface of electrical equipment in a real-world environment that fosters their growth:

The use of lead-free solder is a consequence of European laws called ROHS. Controlling these is a new critical success factor for the entire electronics industry. Whoda thunk that throwing a little lead into the solder pot would have suppressed the growth of tin whiskers for all these years?

Wait your saying this stuff is growing?
post #36 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

I have a friend who had lightning hit a tree in the back yard. Killed the HDMI of DirecTv, Yamaha AVR, and the Mits DLP's HDMI board.

Yep...I've ran into that quite a bit. Electricity looks for the path of least resistance, and sometimes that's in the signal path. What typically happens in that situation is that the surge hits the coax line, and the rest is toast.
post #37 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Plug your cables in and leave your receiver alone. You'll be just fine. I've owned Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Sony, and currently am running a Pioneer Elite. I've had no problems with any of them via HDMI. Don't buy super-huge HDMI cables that put strain on plugs, and don't move your receiver to a new location every other week. This can be said for any type of input, not just HDMI.

That said, avoiding HDMI is about the stupidest decision, since that's what gives you all your high-def video and audio codecs. May as well buy a 15 year old receiver for $50 bucks off craigslist if you're going to be afraid of using HDMI cables.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #38 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

electronics are strange Vinny. I had a kenwood receiver unplugged for about two years. I plugged it back in, but the display did not show up. I heard no sound. It went into protection mode a few times. I gambled on it working if I left it plugged in for a while. 5 hours later I heard sound. I still had no led light saying what input I was using. A few hours later the led light came on. Sometimes the light comes on and sometimes it doesn't. All that matters is that I can get sound. I barely use it much because I am afraid that it will eventually die soon. It is hooked up to a cerwin vega satelite speaker system and a 10 inch cerwin vega passive subwoofer. temporarily I have been using the old zenith receiver in my room playing the radio and cds. I had the yamaha receiver in the livingroom, but since I got the NAd it will be going in the livingroom hooked up to my energy speakers. If your onkyo messes up again leave it plugged in for 5 hours like I did. Maybe it will work. I was at a rock concert a few years ago Vinny and the equipment stopped working for no reason. The band unplugged everything and plugged it back in. Sure enough it worked Vinny. if you change your mind about traveling farther Vinny some of these stores are worth checking out like Class A mentioned.

The funny thing is that I never had it unplugged. It would work some day and others it wouldn't until one day it just stopped. Until now, I have it working again maybe it's getting old I don't know.
post #39 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
just curious jdoost what brands do you install?
post #40 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Plug your cables in and leave your receiver alone. You'll be just fine. I've owned Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Sony, and currently am running a Pioneer Elite. I've had no problems with any of them via HDMI. Don't buy super-huge HDMI cables that put strain on plugs, and don't move your receiver to a new location every other week. This can be said for any type of input, not just HDMI.
That said, avoiding HDMI is about the stupidest decision, since that's what gives you all your high-def video and audio codecs. May as well buy a 15 year old receiver for $50 bucks off craigslist if you're going to be afraid of using HDMI cables.

Your last sentence doesn't make any sense. I never said that I was avoiding HDMI cables (stupidest is not a word) and my HDMI cables are only six feet and the receiver doesn't move at all (it's to much of a pita). I've never shopped on Craigslist and i'm not afraid of using HDMI cables, it was a question I had for experienced people in this club, that I would hate to spend $500 for a receiver that would sh#%t the bed after a few years that were installed with HDMI cables. I'm not spontaneous person I always do my homework before I make a decision like this. The question derived from all the reading that i've been doing.
post #41 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
http://m.dictionary.com/synonym/stupidest?linkId=jluc57

I wasn't calling you stupid, I was more referring to whoever you got your original advice from. Judging from your original postings, it seemed you were overthinking and worrying about, basically, a non-existent problem.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #42 of 51 Old 12-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
The most common problem and most people dont know is DO NOT remove and plug any HDMI to any port if any of the devices are ON. As for example a connection between the TV and Bluray player. Make sure both are off before removing and/or connecting a hdmi cable.

Most boards gets damage by switching hdmi cables and leaves the devices On. Most people are lazy and just swapped hdmi cables when devices are on ( i do it sometimes too; even knowing the possible damaged ). and damage one of the hdmi inputs on my TV. Thank God didn't fail the whole board and my TVIs. A good lesson. But I can see electrical sparks when an HDMI cable touch the chassis of the Receiver, TV or any other device when oneor both of the devices were ON.
post #43 of 51 Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

The most common problem and most people dont know is DO NOT remove and plug any HDMI to any port if any of tbe devices are ON. As for example the TV and Bluray player. Make sure both are off before removing and/or connecting a hdmi cable.
Most boards gets damage by switching hdmi cables and leaves the devices on. Most people are lazy and just swapped hdmi cables when devices are on. ( i do it sometimes too ). And damage on of the hdmi inputs on my TV. Thank God didnt fail the whole board.

Although i've never done that, I definitely didn't know about it good to know.
post #44 of 51 Old 12-19-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Javygonx is absolutely right!

Whenever I have to deal with any of my HDMI stuff, I always turn all equipments off and so far, no complaints whatsoever cool.gif

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #45 of 51 Old 12-19-2012, 06:49 AM

Liked: 10
Funny, I never thought about that before but it makes sense. In fact, that may be how I damaged the HDMI output on my media box! eek.gif
post #46 of 51 Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Stay kleer of the brands/products which are not HDMI certified..
Check www.digital-cp.com for the master brand/product listing.

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #47 of 51 Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny68 View Post

or you could google tin whiskers;

"What are Tin Whiskers?

"Tin whiskers are electrically conductive, crystalline structures of tin that sometimes grow from surfaces where tin (especially electroplated tin) is used as a final finish. Tin whiskers have been observed to grow to lengths of several millimeters (mm) and in rare instances to lengths in excess of 10 mm. Numerous electronic system failures have been attributed to short circuits caused by tin whiskers that bridge closely-spaced circuit elements maintained at different electrical potentials.

"Tin whiskers are not a new phenomenon. Indeed, the first published reports of tin whiskers date back to the 1940s and 1950s. Tin is only one of several metals that is known to be capable of growing whiskers. Other examples of metals that may form whiskers include some tin alloys, zinc, cadmium, indium, antimony, silver among others .

"People sometimes confuse the term "whiskers" with a more familiar phenomenon known as "dendrites" commonly formed by electrochemical migration processes. Therefore, it is important to note here that whiskers and dendrites are two very different phenomena. A "Whisker" generally has the shape of a very thin, single filament or hair-like protrusion that emerges outward (z-axis) from a surface. "Dendrites", on the other hand, form in fern-like or snowflake-like patterns growing along a surface (x-y plane) rather than outward from it. The growth mechanism for dendrites is well-understood and requires some type of moisture capable of dissolving the metal (e.g., tin) into a solution of metal ions which are then redistributed by electromigration in the presence of an electromagnetic field. While the precise mechanism for whisker formation remains unknown, it is known that whisker formation does NOT require either dissolution of the metal NOR the presence of electromagnetic field."

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/background/index.htm

FASCINATIN'
post #48 of 51 Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny68 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

In this day and age the apparent corrosion you see may be tin whiskers due to the use of lead-free solder during assembly. The following picture is not of metal shavings dropped into a piece of electrical equipment but rather very large tin whiskers growing on the surface of electrical equipment in a real-world environment that fosters their growth:

The use of lead-free solder is a consequence of European laws called ROHS. Controlling these is a new critical success factor for the entire electronics industry. Whoda thunk that throwing a little lead into the solder pot would have suppressed the growth of tin whiskers for all these years?

It can be. If it gets this bad inside most chips or circuit boards the equipment stopped working, long ago.
post #49 of 51 Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoostil View Post

2) Keep up with firmware updates

Yes and no.

If your rig is working properly, then leave it alone. It's quite common to install an update and then have stuff not working, i.e. the upgrade breaks things. No manufacture can test every possible configuration when new software or firmware is released.

However if you buy an new component and it doesn't work with your system, then look into software and firmware upgrades.

But just don't blindly install the latest update if it doesn't add anything to the performance. That goes for any software, not just HDMI gear.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #50 of 51 Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Yes and no.
If your rig is working properly, then leave it alone. It's quite common to install an update and then have stuff not working, i.e. the upgrade breaks things. No manufacture can test every possible configuration when new software or firmware is released.
However if you buy an new component and it doesn't work with your system, then look into software and firmware upgrades.
But just don't blindly install the latest update if it doesn't add anything to the performance. That goes for any software, not just HDMI gear.

+1

Or at least wait until others have done so and report no general issues.
post #51 of 51 Old 12-19-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

I finally finished installing my surround again , well most of it, for now anyways I just have to install the rear speakers to the receiver or sub. can't remember which. But I'm taking in all the information you guys are dishing out and if in the future i decide to upgrade my receiver i won't forget what you said Glimmie.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page