AVS Forum banner

Audio skipping when watching TV programs - Yamaha HTR-3065

21K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Justin Sullins 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just purchased a new Yamaha Home Theatre System (YTH-296) with a HTR-3065 receiver. During TV viewing I am experiencing audio skipping problems. At the same time, the display on the receiver blinks.

This is my equipment;

LG 42" Plasma TV

Samsung DVD Player

WD TV Live

The DVD player and WD TV Live box connect to the TV (both audio and video). I run a good quality Optical Cable from the TV to the receiver ONLY.

It's a simple setup but I don't understand the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

See less See more
#2 ·
How are the devices connected to the TV? HDMI, I'm guessing, if you're able to output the sound via optical?

If they are HDMI, you might try connecting them through the receiver to the TV to see if it solves the problem. The issue might be with your TV's sound processing, not the receiver. Connecting them the other way would reveal if that were the case.

Also, do you mean that the front display on the receiver blinks on and off?

#3 ·
There is no problem with the sound coming from the devices. The audio is skipping only during normal TV programming so I have proven. One device connects to the tv via Hdmi (wd tv live box) and the old dvd player connects to the av in ports. Audio to the receiver comes only from the TV via an optical cable. The optical cable is of good quality and ad I mentiined before the issue is not apparent when I select to play movies from either the dvd or the wd unit. It is only when I watch tv. I agree the issue is with the TV but remember the devices all run throught it as well so the ussue must be quute specific.

Selecting 'Straight' audio seems to rectify the issue too however the audio quality is poor on this setting.

Any clues?

#6 ·
The blinking and skipping could be caused by two things: a faulty receiver, OR your TV tuner is sending an audio signal that interrupts every two minutes, causing the receiver to momentarily reset. Since you have no problems when you watch a DVD, it sounds like the TV's tuner. Sorry.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII  /t/1445833/audio-skipping-when-watching-tv-programs-yamaha-htr-3065#post_22730591

The blinking and skipping could be caused by two things: a faulty receiver, OR your TV tuner is sending an audio signal that interrupts every two minutes, causing the receiver to momentarily reset. Since you have no problems when you watch a DVD, it sounds like the TV's tuner. Sorry.

Bought this Yamaha YHT-397 system for my father for Christmas and we are experiencing similar problems with the HTR-3065BL Receiver, a Comcast cable box, and a Vizio LCD.

Blu ray plugged into the receiver via hdmi works perfectly. Cable box plugged directly into the TV works perfectly. But cable box plugged into the receiver creates a flicker/signal interruption whenever he changes the volume, and the TV screen pops up the input display when doing things like changing channels or pulling up the receiver's setup menu. To make matters even weirder, he is getting some sort of audio interference when the microwave oven in the adjacent kitchen is running.

Since there are no problems watching blu ray, it seems like the problem would be the cable box, except that there is no problem with the cable box when bypassing the receiver. I've suggested that he swap the known good hdmi from the blu ray to cable to verify no issue there, and that he plug the cable box into receiver using a different input, to verify it's not a single bad input on the receiver, but otherwise am stumped. I know there are audio output settings on the cable box, but not sure how any of them would cause these type of issues.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by woollyB  /t/1445833/audio-skipping-when-watching-tv-programs-yamaha-htr-3065/0_50#post_22779924

Bought this Yamaha YHT-397 system for my father for Christmas and we are experiencing similar problems with the HTR-3065BL Receiver, a Comcast cable box, and a Vizio LCD.

Blu ray plugged into the receiver via hdmi works perfectly. Cable box plugged directly into the TV works perfectly. But cable box plugged into the receiver creates a flicker/signal interruption whenever he changes the volume, and the TV screen pops up the input display when doing things like changing channels or pulling up the receiver's setup menu. To make matters even weirder, he is getting some sort of audio interference when the microwave oven in the adjacent kitchen is running.

Since there are no problems watching blu ray, it seems like the problem would be the cable box, except that there is no problem with the cable box when bypassing the receiver. I've suggested that he swap the known good hdmi from the blu ray to cable to verify no issue there, and that he plug the cable box into receiver using a different input, to verify it's not a single bad input on the receiver, but otherwise am stumped. I know there are audio output settings on the cable box, but not sure how any of them would cause these type of issues.

Yours is a different issue--and one that can be fixed through settings I hope.

For the flickering while changing the volume issue, try unselecting all output resolutions on the cable box except 1080i (meaning that the cable box will upscale everything--including standard def channels--to 1080i). The receiver can only output its on-screen display and volume indicator at higher resolutions. If the cable box is sending 480p (maybe even 720p) signals, the receiver (and the TV) have to switch resolutions every time the OSD is displayed, which is causing the flickering and possibly the TV menus.

You don't have this problem with the blu-ray because it's always sending 1080p.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII  /t/1445833/audio-skipping-when-watching-tv-programs-yamaha-htr-3065#post_22783029

Yours is a different issue--and one that can be fixed through settings I hope.

For the flickering while changing the volume issue, try unselecting all output resolutions on the cable box except 1080i (meaning that the cable box will upscale everything--including standard def channels--to 1080i). The receiver can only output its on-screen display and volume indicator at higher resolutions. If the cable box is sending 480p (maybe even 720p) signals, the receiver (and the TV) have to switch resolutions every time the OSD is displayed, which is causing the flickering and possibly the TV menus.

You don't have this problem with the blu-ray because it's always sending 1080p.

Thank you. Makes perfect sense. I relayed this response to dad and hopefully this solves it.

#11 ·
I had similar problem with audio skipping even on divx movies and just fix it...

You have to

1) disable ARC on your LG TV

2) connect optical cable as all sound will be traveling through that

3) choose external speakers on LG

4) choose optical output av4 in setup on Yamaha

It is working for me..no more audio skipping

#12 ·
I also have the YHT-397. I swapped out the mains and center for bigger speakers. I haven't had any issues until now. Granted, it's only happened once but very discouraging. I have original PS3 (60G) connected via 1.4 HDMI Cable to HTR-3065 and Directv connected via digital coax to HTR-3065. My son wanted to play a game so I turned on the system like normal and black screen and no sound. Receiver recognized PS3 and TV displayed the proper definition (1080/60p) but that's it. After switching from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 on the receiver it worked. I then switched back to HDMI 1 and it worked fine. I called Yamaha and they didn't have an answer for me. Is the port going bad or is there a certain order to follow when turning this system on, (TV then PS3 then Receiver, or vice versa)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.